Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chanel_x_ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Have I started my period
    Im 14 and today as iwent to the toilet I dropped he tissue down the loo and there was blood in my discharge.
    I dabbed my underwear with tissue there where bits of blood on that too.
    I was just wondering have I started my period
    There wasn't enomours amounts of blood but there it was.
    Can you help me please
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 09:11 AM
    Yes, dear, it sounds as though you have gotten your first period. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. :)
    casey29 Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Jan 11, 2007, 12:35 PM
    I know this is very embarsing to do but you should tell one of your parenst today. They will fix you up with what you need. Hey try the slim(small) tampons with gental glide applicater. Wearing a maxi pad feels like you are walking around with a diaper up your butt all day. It bends, creases ,bunches up and the most often leak around the edgies. Were tampons are out of site out of mind. You won't even notice that you are wearing one. I'm deffenitly 100% sure that tampons are the most comfortal of all. Pads always leak through around the edges it also makes you feel like your siiting in a bloody mess. You also will save a lot of your panties cause pads that leek and the bloody mess reiuns panties. Tell your mom you got to have tampons. They come in all different sizes and shapes. The even come in different aromas and sents. You're a woman now so be proud of yourself. Oh you tampoons do not hurt at all when you put it inside.I recommend the playtex easy guide. Some tampax brand have flushable card board applicaters these are harder to insert and they are not as comfortable as the others. I ALWAYS USE PLAYTEX PEROLS REGULAR Strength. This brand of tampon will hold you for at least 5-7 hours.
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 01:13 PM
    If you wear a tampon for 5 - 7 hours you can run the risk for toxic shock syndrome which can be deadly. My friend just passed away by doing this. If a tampon is worn it should be worn NO LONGER than you would wear a pad.

Jan 11, 2007, 03:19 PM
    Tampons Aren't Made Like The Ones You Probably Use To Use. Today They Make Them Smaller, Soffter', And Very Easy To Use. The Even Have Tampons For First Time Users And Teens.there Hasn't Been A Case Of Toxic Shock Sydrem In So Many Many Years That Should Not Even Be A Risk To Anyone.whens The Last Time You Heard That A Tampon Killed One Of Your Loved Ones? So Use Tampons But Go To The Store With Somebody You Are Comfortable With To Help You Make Your Deciosions. Im Just Hear To Give My Advice To You And That Wo0uld Be That Slendor Gental Glide Tampax Are So Uniquly Shaped For Fit And Comfort And They Also Have Tampons Made Especially For Virgins And Teen, And It Comes With Instructions And How To Pictures. If You Feel More Like Wearing A Maxie Pad Go Ahead That's what you want that's what you should do. But remember they leak and ruin cloths and panties, when blood drips onto the maxi pad it feels moist, sticky, ewey, and gooey. Maxi pads can sometimes let off a faint odor you know the period smell. Maxi pads are very simuliar to a diaper in fact when you are wearing one iy feels like you are walking around in a wet and dirty diaper(maxi pads). A tampon on the other hand fits securely, leaves no mess, small enogh to fit in your pocet. I'm telling you that once the tampon is inserted correctly you'll almost forget you are wearing anything at all. Its all about comfort, and cleanlyness. I think tampons wear one of the beest inventions ever made. Try once follow the pictures and directions and do what it says , if you get it inserted right you won't evern feel a thing. No blood, no undesiable moistuer, no unpleasent oder, but what you will have 4-6 hours of lasting dryness and comfort, and security. Good luck young woman!
    Expert

Jan 11, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by casey29
    Tampons Arent Made Like The Ones You Probably Use To Use.
    Guess what Casey, I still use 'em!!

there Hasnt Been A Case Of Toxic Shock Sydrem In So Many Many Years That Should Not Even Be A Risk To Anyone.whens The Last Time You Heard That A Tampon Killed One Of Your Loved Ones?
    Ummm, the week before Thanksgiving!! She left behind a 12 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I see this in the hospital every once in a while, so don't tell me that it does not happen. You just have been a lucky one. You know, one of those "it won't happen to me" kind of people.

If You Feel More Like Wearing A Maxie Pad Go Ahead Thats what you want thats what you should do. But remember they leak and ruin cloths and panties, when blood drips onto the maxi pad it feels moist, sticky, ewey, and gooey.
    Not if you change them when you are supposed to. That is how a proper woman takes care of herself!!

Casey, before you answer, please have all of your facts straight. You would not want me to post my friend's obituary here would you?

How often do you work in the hospital Casey? How often do you see this?

While I do use tampons and agree that they serve a purpose and are useful, they can be dangerous if uninformed, like Casey is. Sorry Casey, but you are totally and completely uninformed about Toxic Shock!!

PLEASE READ THE WARNING LABELS!!
    jaimie02 Posts: 114, Reputation: 6

Jan 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Um J_9 no offense or anything but just because you change regularly does not mean that you will not leak. After all they get twisted and stuff and if you lay or sit in an odd, but comfy position, they sometimes leak.

Chanel_X_ start using maxy pads but then switch to tampns maybe. Just makesure to cahnge them regularly.
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 04:44 AM
    Um Jaimie, Can you explain why you gave me a disagree since it actually agreed with what I said? Here let me remind you.

jaimie02 disagrees: True, but sometimes, if its light you can wear a pad for a while if it doesn't smell too much

I really don't understand this.

Please read this in regards to using the comments feature.

Another thing Jamie, I do believe that I know how pads and tampons work since I am not only a Nursing Student, but have been using pads and tampons for the past 30 years.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 05:32 AM
    What J-9 is saying is 100% correct. One of my mom's closest friends is an OBGYN and Dr. Hal says that younger women (those who just started their cycle) should NEVER use tampons. Their bodies are not prepared for it. Even the "light" tampons are not good for younger women. He encourages young women to use pads until the age of 16 or 17. And once they are old enough tampons should be changed MORE often then pads. Dr. Hal says every 4 hours at least.

J-9 I am so sorry for your lost.
    Expert

Jan 17, 2007, 05:35 AM
    Thank you for your kindness Tuscany. It was a sad loss indeed. Young children lost their mother during the holiday season for reasons that could have been prevented.

I am trying to get the word out about how this syndrome does indeed still exist and that, while it is deadly, it is entirely preventable.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2007, 05:42 AM
    I tried to spread the Rep J-9 but couldn't.

I remember when I was younger and I had just started my cycle... I wanted to wear tampons so bad; especially when riding horses (nothing worse then white breeches and your period). But my mom stood strong... pads it was.
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 17, 2007, 06:09 AM
    I remember when I first had to use tampons. My whole family took a trip to the water park, and I was so miserable that I couldn't go in the water since I didn't know how to wear a tampon, and I def wasn't about to go without one!

My aunt finally gave me one of those small OB ones to try, I wanted to go in the water so bad I tried it, but it was so uncomfortable! It took me a while and some practice to get it down. My mom constantly asked me to make sure I changed my tampon every 4 hours.

Chanel, If you do try to use tampons please talk to your mom or any other female you feel comfortable talking to to get better tips and advice on how to take care of personal Hygiene for females.
    maylee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2007, 12:46 PM
    In my opinion no one should use tampons, but each to their own. But I certenaly would recommend to if you are just stsrting your period.my sister had a nasty scare once after using them ,when she tried to remove it the string came off and she had to go to the hospital to have it removed.she was so embarrest, you should talk to some one at home you feel most comfortable with and they will only advice with what's best for you.. dont be embarrest as this is one of the most naturel things .your boby is prepareing for womanhood

Jan 20, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Guess what Casey, I still use 'em!!!

sorry i just wanted to share my advice and what i experinced in my life at that age.:( :just thought id let her know what worked best for me and my peers.:)
    Ummm, the week before Thanksgiving!!! She left behind a 12 year old son and a 4 year old daughter. I see this in the hospital every once in a while, so don't tell me that it does not happen. You just have been a lucky one. You know, one of those "it won't happen to me" kind of people.

Not if you change them when you are supposed to. That is how a proper woman takes care of herself!!!

Casey, before you answer, please have all of your facts straight. You would not want me to post my friend's obituary here would you?

How often do you work in the hospital Casey? How often do you see this?

While I do use tampons and agree that they serve a purpose and are useful, they can be dangerous if uninformed, like Casey is. Sorry Casey, but you are totally and completely uninformed about Toxic Shock!!!

PLEASE READ THE WARNING LABELS!!!
    Sorry you didn't like my response. I was just giving her the honest, and best from my experince advice. This is what works for me and the people close to me. Just trying to help by giving my unpropesional, life experenced advice that I hope may give someone inneed a different outlook, more information, and a few more options. That's all I wish someone could have tould me alittlte moe info about tampoons when I was 12 or 13.:(
    Expert

Jan 20, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Toxic shock syndrome, which is caused by Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, has been associated with the use of tampons. Although the exact connection is still not clear, researchers suspect that certain types of high-absorbency tampons provided a moist, warm home where the bacteria could thrive.

Although TSS usually occurs in menstruating women, it can affect anyone who has any type of staph infection, including pneumonia, abscess, skin or wound infection, a blood infection called septicemia, or a bone infection called osteomyelitis.

Toxic shock syndrome from staphylococcus starts suddenly with vomiting, high fever (temperature at least 102 degrees Fahrenheit [38.8 degrees Celsius]), a rapid drop in blood pressure (with lightheadedness or fainting), watery diarrhea, headache, sore throat, and muscle aches. Within 24 hours, a sunburn-like rash appears. There also may be bloodshot eyes and an unusual redness under the eyelids or inside the mouth (and vagina in females). After that, broken blood vessels may appear on the skin. Other symptoms may include: confusion or other mental changes; decreased urination; fatigue and weakness; thirst; weak and rapid pulse; pale, cool, moist skin; and rapid breathing.

Prevention

The bacteria that cause toxic shock syndrome can be carried on unwashed hands and prompt an infection anywhere on the body. So hand washing is extremely important.

Females can reduce their risk of TSS by either avoiding tampons or alternating them with sanitary napkins. If a you use only tampons, it's important to choose tampons with the lowest absorbency that will handle your menstrual flow and to change the tampons frequently. Between menstrual periods, it's a good idea to store tampons away from heat and moisture (where bacteria can grow) - for example, in a bedroom rather than in a bathroom closet.

Because staphylococcus bacteria are often carried on dirty hands, it's important to wash your hands thoroughly before and after inserting a tampon. If you are just starting your menstrual period, you should know about taking these precautions. Any female who has recovered from TSS should check with her doctor before using tampons again.

I hope this clears things up ;)

** EDIT**

With the introduction of MRSA (Methacillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) tampons can be MUCH more dangerous now. MRSA is a form of Staph that is resistant to many antibiotics, which makes treating TSS much more complicated and dangerous.
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Jan 20, 2007, 04:48 PM
    As a tampon user myself for many years, they are safe if common sense is applied to their use. However, in certain cases even with the proper use, toxic shock still can occur. I too am a nurse and have seen it. Though they are rare. I also agree with the majority that young girls just starting with their periods should not use tampons.

j-9 I am very sorry for your loss. To loose someone that way is very traumatic. My heart goes out to you.

Yes hun, I do believe you are experiencing your first period. I'd tell a parent to let them know its started . Parents do wonder. This way they can help you and be there for you.

Jan 20, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Comment on chippers's post
    Very polite and knows her stuff!
    pretyangel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
    I have a question I'm 12 years old 7th grade and I have been getting discharge since last year 2006 I want 2 know if a brown stuff on my panite is my period? :confused: :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have I started my period? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello I have recently started my period, well I think I have I am 13 yrs old and have noticed brown striny like discharge in my knickers so I put a pad on and told my mum, she said it was normall to have brown blood for your first time, is this true I am worried I have began to have a lot of cramps...

Just started looking [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Guys, I am looking for a skin whitner, but some of the stories are scaring me, I am I guess milk chocolate, and would like to be between asian and hispanic. Any suggestions?

Well... I started my period. I think? [ 1 Answers ]

I started having a brown didcharge for a while now. Well... for about 13 days now. I don't think I actionaly came on my period just have been have some discharge. I usually stay on my period for about five days and its been thirteen. What could be wrong?

How do I get started? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to get a job as an exterminator or pest control in Pa. Does anyone know what I should do first? I don't have any experience. Thanks

View more questions Search