Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TommyTrip Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2010, 05:55 AM
    Installing a Lasco Shower
    I'm finally getting around to completing my Bathroom. I'm installing a 3 piece Lasco show. A friend mentioned to use a lite cement "to set the tub" or bottem of the shower. I think he used the term "Structure lite" he said it was an additive to add to cemement to make it lighter and easier to set. I can't find it at my local stores, Home Depot & Lowe's any suggestions on what can be used and if this is the way to go.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 18, 2010, 07:13 AM

You don't have to use specifically Structure Lite mix. You can also use mortar for this purpose. Mortar is available in big box stores for few dollars.
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyTrip View Post
    I'm finally getting around to completing my Bathroom. I'm installing a 3 piece Lasco show. A friend mentioned to use a lite cement "to set the tub" or bottem of the shower. I think he used the term "Structure lite" he said it was an additive to add to cemement to make it lighter and easier to set. I can't find it at my local stores, Home Depot & Lowes any suggestions on what can be used and if this is the way to go.
    I'm with Milo -- Mortar mix is what I usually use as well.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
    Hi all:

I wanted to pop in and straighten out the info. On structolite itself. Structolite is a perlited gypsum product that is extremely light weight and strong. Structolite is mixed by itself and set into place... no additional cement needed. The stuff dries overnight and is plastic like in that it easily forms and squishes out as the shower or tub is set.

Structolite is usually available at all major home improvement stores... at least in my area.

My favorite thing about structolite is that it can be pulled to form up around the walls of the tub or shower and it will remain in place... acting as an insulator in the process, as well.

If you guys haven't tried it I would recommend that you do. It is much lighter to work with... especially in terms of carrying, mixing and spreading.

Otherwise, as mentioned, mortar mix works just fine!

Mark
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 18, 2010, 06:41 PM

Agreed and I use thinset. Whatever you do follow Lasco's installation instructions. Some shower pan companies specific a product while others say no bed at all. I recall Lasco talks about casting plaster or plaster of paris. http://www.lascobathware.com/uploads...-TS%20rev1.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lasco Shower Pans Drains [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Lasco shower assy. It was installed about 13 years ago. The bottom drain is glued to the pcv pipe. The screw flange cracked and does not tighten the bottom drain and seal against the bottom of the shower. The LASCO shower has the number 1943 SG molded into the shower floor and the...

Installing Lasco showers [ 2 Answers ]

I am finshing my basement and installing a bathroom with a stand up shower. I purchased a 3 piece Lasco shower, from Home Depot. When I was at the store the "resident" plumber said I didn't need to Sheetrock the walls and the unit can be installed directly onto studs. My question is how would you...

Installing shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower panel and require the water pipes to be sunk into the wall do the pipes need to be put into anything

Installing a tub/shower in a preexisting shower only [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having trouble installing a tub 60 inches in a 60 inch in length space. Is there a trick to getting it in this space? Thank you mike also it is extra deep tub does this make a difference??

Installing hand-held shower on fiberglass shower [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing onto a fiberglass shower a rain fall shower system that has a separate hand-held shower head. The two options to install are using a suction bracket or using the bracket with a screw. Can I drill into the fiberglass to use an anchor and screw? Thanks very much. Cheryl

View more questions Search