Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larken85 Posts: 696, Reputation: 146

Apr 27, 2010, 02:34 AM
    Those Darn Cute Baby Pets!
    OK so here is a question. What is it that make us think that our animals are so darn cute? Why does my heart melt when I see a puppy or kitten? And just what makes them so darn Cute anyway?

Most of the time their breath stinks, they poop everywhere, and they barf all the time. Kittens get hair balls which are joys of their own, they have sharp claws and teeth. They generally don't smell good. But when they meet your gaze you can't help but fall in love with them.
    You disapline them and they give you that look after making you feel like the worst person in the world for hurting their feelings. Why do these animals hold such control over our emotions?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 03:02 AM

They offer unconditional love, could be the one and only reason.

Tick

Apr 27, 2010, 03:09 AM

Hmm. Maybe. I think they cast spells! I mean think about it, we care for them we give them attention and we bathe them. Dogs and Cats got it made. No predators, no hunting, no worries.

They have mezmorized us into taking care of them so they can be lazy lol. Especially Cats. Kittens are cute, but man do I hate cats. They are a laziest bunch of finiky creatures I've ever seen.

Dogs are at least playful with you and you don't have to make you hand look like food for them to play with you. And I think dogs are always cute. Even ulgy dogs are cute, sometimes more so.

For some reason we are compelled to care for these creatures, those of us that love animals that is.

What brought this on was one of the pictures attached to altenwigs chit chat thread. One of the cuttiest dogs ever.

But anyway, yeah, they got us under some sort of puppy-dog-jedi mind tricks or something.
    Mikis Posts: 24, Reputation: 9

Apr 27, 2010, 03:27 AM

Maybe it has something to do with humans parenting their own children. Your own dog is usually the cutest pretties smartest and most lovable to you even if others find it repulsive. The tiniest are often the cutest probably because they have resemblance to human baby features.
    And the reason why we react so passionately is genetic: to provide the most wholesome care for our young. And animals may evoke the same response.
    This is purely my opinion based on no concrete facts but I hope this gives another angle.

Apr 27, 2010, 03:48 AM

Actually I totally agree with you Mikis. This is a very accurate sounding account and may very well be a fact. Seeing a young animal may very well spark our paternal instincts.

When I see a cute little lab like my dog Bee, all I can think of is how tiny he/she is and how fragile it is. And of course I want to pick the dog up and carry it around, making sure it doesn't get stepped on.

Maybe it is totally a parenting instinct kicking into gear.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 27, 2010, 06:32 AM

Not to upset anyone, but shouldn't this be in Member Discussions?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2010, 06:51 AM

Moved ;)

It really is more of a discussion topic.

I personally find the fact that everything is out of proportion to be so cute.
    Puppies always have bigger eyes, bigger paws, fat little bodies and are so clumsy it's cute.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 03:36 PM

As far as puppies and kittens go, Shaz is right... big eyes... etc.
    You fall in love, just like human babies and then you get to know your dog, cat, Guinia pig, rabbit and YOU alone understand what is going on. You see what they are trying to tell you and YOU are able to love them no matter what. Plus unconditional love, like Tick said.
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 04:23 PM

I'm a sucker for puppy eyes...
    Eyes like this melt me.. (and yes the one on the bottom left is my baby)
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 04:37 PM

Ohhh and he is looking at his Mama:)
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 04:47 PM

I know! :D that's why it makes me melt. Mind you, I do agree they cast spells on you. And I do love puppy breath lol
    Ultra Member

Apr 28, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    i know!! :D thats why it makes me melt. mind you, i do agree they cast spells on you. and i do love puppy breath lol
    I love it too, even though it always smells a little like skunk:D

May 11, 2010, 12:49 AM

OK OK I fell in love with another type of dog. I have two dogs but can keep neither of them when I get my own place. So I was looking for a smaller dog cause first off they are chick magnets and secondly most apartments allow them.

They are generally full of energy and just totally fun little guys. Well I didn't know which type to get. I am moving in with a buddy that has to agree on the breed. Though I don't see why its his business, he can get his own dog.

But I ran across the cutest little puppies, Min Pins, or more commonly known as Miniature Pinschers.

OMG they look just like little dobermens! I was like there it is, that's what I'm getting.

Now I run into a huge problem, I can't find a breeder around my area. And I am sorry but I am not traveling half way across the country to get a miniature dog, no matter how cute.

So I am from Michigan, on the mid-western coast. (USA) I need help finding a breeder.

Also what is it called when you get their ears to stand on end all the time and when does that need to be done? (as a puppy for sure but how early?) I am willing to spend around $450 on a male that is Black w/rust colored. Tail must be chopped to.

Oh and it can't be fixed either.

Anyone?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 11, 2010, 11:18 AM

It's called ear taping. Shaz would be the girl to ask about that.

Why can't it be fixed? Are you planning on breeding?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 11, 2010, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Larken85 View Post
    ok ok I fell in love with another type of dog. I have two dogs but can keep neither of them when I get my own place. So I was looking for a smaller dog cause first off they are chick magnets and secondly most apartments allow them.

They are generally full of energy and just totally fun little guys. Well I didn't know which type to get. I am moving in with a buddy that has to agree on the breed. Though I don't see why its his business, he can get his own dog.

But I ran across the cutest little puppies, Min Pins, or more commonly known as Miniature Pinschers.

OMG they look just like little dobermens! I was like there it is, thats what I'm getting.

Now I run into a huge problem, I can't find a breeder around my area. And I am sorry but I am not traveling half way across the country to get a minature dog, no matter how cute.

So I am from Michigan, on the mid-western coast. (USA) I need help finding a breeder.

Also what is it called when you get thier ears to stand on end all the time and when does that need to be done? (as a puppy for sure but how early?) i am willing to spend around $450 on a male that is Black w/rust colored. Tail must be chopped to.

oh and it can't be fixed either.

Anyone?
    Larken, you don't need a 'chick magnet' right now. You need healing not using other women as a crutch to get over the last one.

With your new work schedule will you have time for a dog? Dogs need people all week not just on the 'weekends'. Will you have time and energy for a very energetic pup?

You might be able to find one for $450, but that is only the tip of the iceberg in costs. I don't know if a Min Pin's natural ear can be trained to stand up, but getting ears cropped is usually done about 3 months of age and costs a few hundred just for the surgery. Not to mention any possible ripped stitches and the re-tapings. If taping isn't done correctly the ears won't stand properly. Even done properly some don't. It can take weeks of taping, un-taping, and re-taping to finally get results. That's weeks of keeping the dog from hurting itself scratching at the bandages.

Don't forget the cost of shots, registering, etc. plus monthly heart worm medication.

Some terminology for you:
    cropping-cutting the ears to desired shape. Goes into taping. You need a vet with experience in cropping to do it. Ask breeders who they would recommend. A bad job cannot be un-done or redone.
    taping-a method using a 'form' and bandaging tape to train the ears to stand. Usually done by keeping the ears taped for five days, down for two then up for five until they stand on their own or it is clear they won't stand up. Once again, should be done by someone who knows the way ears grow and how to support the ear without hurting it.
    dock-the tail is cut off. Usually done at only a couple of days old. So, any animal you look will have already been docked or left natural.

Why can't the animal be fixed?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 11, 2010, 12:33 PM

1000,000 virtual greenies Cat.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 11, 2010, 02:01 PM

Hate to burst your bubble Larken but no good breeder will sell a pup for $450, especially a breeding quality dog.

If you are after a dog you can breed you are looking more at $1500 - $2000. And even then, there' no guarantee they will good enough for breeding unless you buy an adult... then the price goes up even further.

And yes, it's called ear taping... currently taping a 6 month old pup who's ears won't stand :rolleyes:

May 14, 2010, 02:31 AM

I have plenty of time for the puppy, my job purposal got rejected. I was joking about the chick magnet thing lol. But I don't get what breeding quality is. If they are the same breed, and have champion blood, they can breed right? And reason I do not want my dogs fixed is because I have always had a dog from a certain family line. I have at once time owned 3 generations from the same bloodline. Granted they were mixed, however the point is I loved the mother, so I wanted the daughter, and then the son of the daughter whom we obviously had to fix.

I love dogs, and I believe that one should keep the family partially together. I am not talking all the puppies of course, but my favorit one would be nice.

As for time though, my friend and I are thinking about getting a rental home and/or apartment together and we want a dog. He works 1st, I work 3rd. Someone will always be there and we are both expierenced at training our animals to our own specifications.

I'm not looking to get a show dog here or breed to sell either. About the prices however, I have been searching sites and breeders online and most of the pups that I have been finding are about $450 USDA. Yes there are some that range up to like $1250 but there is no way in heck I would pay that much. Not in a million years. I'd rather scrape road kill off the side of the highway and bathe in it.

I just want to find that perfect, apartment life dog that is hyper and not considered a pancy dog. What do I come up with? The bulldog and the Min Pin. Bulldogs are butt ulgy in my opinion and I would never pay for one. I doubt I'd even take one for free. But the Min Pin is the perfect mixture of height, weight, spunk, and strong when the ears are tapped.

If we get a rental house the size of the dog doesn't matter all that much and opens me to go for bigger dogs like boxers and Dobermen Pintchers (which would be one of my two ideal big dog choices.) My friend wants Huskies if we get big dogs. The one thing we came to an agreement on was the Min Pins, so that is what we'll go with so as not to cause issue. And I just do not want to pay that much for a dog to let it mate with a dog of a different breed you know. Though I do have to say, a min pin mixed with a husky would be an interesting combination, not to mention the act itself would be a sight to see lol.

May 14, 2010, 02:39 AM

I do have to admit though, bulldog puppies are some of the cutiest things too. Its when they get older and their jowles start drooping down with drewl hanging down that I can't stand seeing.

May 14, 2010, 02:52 AM

And lastly, does the ear taping process hurt the dog in any way. If so I may drop the min pin interest. A. I do not want to hurt the dog, B. I do not want a Min Pin if it does not look like a Doberman Pinscher with the ears.

I seen a picture online of the ear taping process and it looks kind of painful to the dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Darn Husky's [ 1 Answers ]

I own a Husky 1750 pressure washer and the wand trigger stay's in the on position after I depress it and it won't release the trigger when I let the trigger go it stays on until I shut the darn off switch, can I fix this problem myself, I am handy, is it a release spring or what? :)

Why am I so darn insecure? [ 5 Answers ]

I seem to be constantly second guessing any decision I make, I feel guilty about almost everything all the time, I don't believe in myself even though I'm not a bad person, and have some really good qualities, but have a really difficult time seeing the positive. I don't have many friends because...

That Darn Cat [ 8 Answers ]

A man absolutely hated his wife's cat and decided to get rid of him one day By driving him 20 blocks from his home and leaving him at the park. As he was getting home, the cat was walking up the driveway. The next day he decided to drive the cat 40 blocks away. He put the beast Out...

View more questions Search