Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjustinia Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2009, 05:08 PM
    KHOLER slip on tub spout
    I have a kholer devonshire tub spout that is a slip on. It slips on to a 1/2 copper and then there is a hex nut under it that you tighten. I would like some advice about properly afixing this. It does not seem to slip on very far and it seems like water would shoot backwards when the diverter is pulled up for the shower. There seems to be some hard plastic in there and I am not sure how hard to push for a water tight connection. Should I use any putty in there? Seems unstable to me, because I have never done it before. So I am asking for help before I do something wrong and ruin the spout.

Thank you!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 05:40 PM

Is it a new spout or existing spout you just replace it, if it is a new one and you think the pipe a bit long you can cut to size that soput will fit.

To remove a split fit (compression) type spout you take an Allen wrench in the correct size and unscrew the Allen head screw and pull the spout out.

To install the slip fit spout check the pipe for any sharp edge if any remove it with a file, use some silicon gill on the O ring before installation, good luck.

John

Sep 5, 2009, 05:52 PM

It's a new spout in a new install and I will trim the copper to what need. I just am not sure I know where the o ring is. And again how hard I should push the spout on to the pipe, that will detrmine how long I trim the copper. There seems to be a cone shaped nylon or plastic fitting inside that the pipe goes in to and that is it. Then the screw clamps down around the pipe.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:01 PM

See the Image below and you can measure and cut tha pipe accordingly, make sure you file the sherp edge of the pipe,Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 6, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Jjustinia:

The oring is inside the tub spout. You need to cut the pipe down to the correct size, debur the end of the copper pipe using a flat file and then install some silicone grease on the copper pipe so the oring won't get caught on the end of the copper pipe and slip out.

The shower valve will have instructions with it to tell you exactly what length to cut the copper.. most likely it will be a range much like afaroo posted at his picture... ;) You don't guess here... consult the supplied literature.

Lastly, once you know the spout will set tight to the wall you want to pull it forward a couple inches and fill the hole in the wall (where the copper pipe comes out) with silicone. Then push the spout on firmly and tighten the ALLEN SCREW on the underside to set this and be done!

Let us know if you have more questions...

MARK

Sep 6, 2009, 07:50 AM

Thanks, I am still a little unsure about the o ring. Is it the white nylon plastic cone I see that the pipe butts up into? The instructions do have the copper length and I will cut within that range. I left it long so I could use the etra pipe to turn with a wrench (I can now cut off any marring caused by the bite of the pipe wrench). I have a threaded drop ell behind the wall and then I adapted the 1/2 inch copper. That way I gave myself flexibilty as I could change to a nipple, replace the stub or something else in the future.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2009, 09:49 AM
    thanks, I am still a little unsure about the o ring. Is it the white nylon plastic cone
    Will this help? (see image)

Sep 6, 2009, 10:00 AM

Looks different than mine, conceptually the same. I will take a pict and post. Where there is an o-ring on your pict I have a cone shaped plastic thing that the end of the pipe cuts into. It does not slide through as in your pict. The pipe end actually goes into the plastic cone as if it where a pencil sliding into a pencil sharpener. At a certain point it becomes to narrow and the pipe stops. Then the pressure clamp as in your pict has two blades top and bottom that clamp around the pipe. I get that. It is the plastic cone that I am trying to c understand as is it hard and not really like an o-ring. The pipe just bottoms out and it does not really seam to forma seal. I actually have it on now temp. the pipe is long but I wanted to test it on extra pipe before it I trim it down. Seems to work but I have not installed the shower arm yet to see how the diverter works. It is all still rough as I have yet to tile. I know that I will not be cutting the pipe until the tile is done, as I need to measure off the finished wall. I am just trying to understand the sealing aspect, not the pipe length. Like I mentioned before it is a kholer devonshire tub spout. I thought kholer would be a quality product. I have not pushed the pipe on very hard for fear of ruining it and that is why I am posting for directions. I have the copper very clean and the end is tapered slightly and totally deburred.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:10 AM

I am not sure if your spout looks like the image below if it is then open the link below go to page 7 will till how to cut the pipe and how to install the spout, if it in not please post a picture, Thanks.

John

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1012741_2.pdf

And this another type, see the link, and see page 4

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1091288_2.pdf
    Attached Images

Sep 6, 2009, 12:03 PM

That is exactly it and those are the instructions I have and I understand them. I find that instructions always leave something out that I tend to find out about after I make the mistake. In this instance, the use of silicone grease, which is not mentioned in the instructions and the experience of what it should feel like when it is properly afixed. I suppose I can just follow those instructions and hope for the best. As you can see they make no mention of an o ring or that plastic cone I am referring to. I was hoping others might have the experience with what I am trying to describe. Thanks for all your help.
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the update, it is our pleasure to help, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any question there is no cost to you.

Cheer,
    John

Sep 24, 2009, 10:15 AM

massplumber2008,

You mentioned putting silicone grease on the end of the copper stub so the o-ring does not get stuck. I went to the plumbing supply shop and they did not have silicone grease. They had: hercules 300 degree plumbers grease. Are you familiar with this and would this be good to use for the copper pipe to put the spout on?

Let me know.

And yes I still have not done it because I am still tiling the walls and won't be done till next week. Its been slow going. Thank you all for your help!
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2009, 11:36 AM
    I went to the plumbing supply shop and they did not have silicone grease. They had: hercules 300 degree plumbers grease. Are you familiar with this and would this be good to use for the copper pipe to put the spout on?
    Mark's on the job so I'll fill in for him.
    NO! Plumbers grease is a petroleum product and petroleum will rot a neoprene "O" ring in time. If you can't get any Silicon Jel then simply moisten the copper pipe with spit and it will slide right on.

Sep 24, 2009, 11:58 AM

Thank you! Do you think the kind of lubricant that is used on the o-ring for water proof cameras case would work. I think it is silicone grease. Or can you give me an idea if there is someplace you know of that I can get the stuff. Maybe someplace on line. I can't find it anywhere even on Google searches. Do you know of a brand name I can search for? Thank you for your help
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Silicon Jel isn't required to slip on a spout. Just a little spit will do the trick. All we want is for the "O" ring to slip over the copper pipe without rolling out of position. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Slip-on Tub Spout - Can't access set screw [ 19 Answers ]

I have been reading the posts about removing the different types of spouts. Mine is a 1/2 inch copper tube out of the wall. I can't get to the set screw. The spout will turn and with pressure come about 3/4" off the wall. I don't want to pull any harder and twist because I think I may damage...

Rusted slip on spout. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace my slip-on spout, but I can't seem to find what to unscrew underneath because there appears to be a significant amount of rust. While I certainly hope it doesn't mean that I'm stuck with a leaky spout, I'm kind of at an impasse and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions.

Replacing shower/tub slip on spout [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the shower/tub slip on spout, but there is water leaking from the back of the spout and the wall. What am I doing wrong?

How to remove a slip-on Delta bath tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

The house is 16 years old. The bath tub spout has no identification on it, but it says "Delta Monitor" on the Temperature Control knob. The problem is that the water just flows to the tub and won't go up to the showerhead. I am trying to rePlcace the tub spout. It looks like a slip on type. I have...

View more questions Search