Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bprofit1 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Central air conditioning
    How do I determine the humidifier wire for the furnace control module hook up with two wires the same color?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 05:19 AM

Are you talking about a 2 wire humidistat?

Aug 6, 2009, 06:02 AM

It is a General 1042 Power Humidifier and I do not know form the wiring diagram if it is a two wire or not

Aug 6, 2009, 06:04 AM
    I see the spade hook up for the humidifier on the control board but there is another red wire that goes to the common but I didn't separate them and now I do not know which goes to which.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 6, 2009, 06:06 AM

So you are trying to conect your humidifier to your furnace control board?
    You need to be careful so you don't apply a 24 volt line to 120/240 volt.
    Color is not going to matter. I have seen some older units where they had different color wires. It matters that they are put to the right place.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:10 AM

http://www.ontimemall.com/general-10...ers-manual.pdf
    General 1042 Humidifier Parts
    Is it 24 volts or the 120 volt model?

Aug 6, 2009, 06:16 AM

I replace the control board last night on my cobra by carrier furnace and I was able to to match up all the wiring from the old circuit board to the new one (using the wiring diagram and the written instructions) but I got the red wires from the common and the humidifier mixed up. There is another red wire that was connected to the R connector on the old board that I mad sure that was connected to the R connector on the new board. Now I have to determine which red wire is which - amongst others.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:20 AM
    The common connector where the thermostat wires go on the old control board says 24V.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:22 AM
    I have a single speed fan blower motor.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:30 AM

I looked at the unit and it is a 24 volt system.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:32 AM
    How do I determine which red wire goes to the common connector.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:34 AM
    Do these common wires trace back to the transformer wires?

Aug 6, 2009, 06:43 AM
    At the C connector on the old control board I took out there were two wires. A blue wire and a red wire. Do these wires correspond to the red and blue wires on the transformer?

Aug 6, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Where do I hook up the humidifier wire once I determine which is the humidifier wire?

Aug 6, 2009, 06:53 AM
    I checked with ICM controls, which is the board I installed and the engineer said the spade was a 24 volts.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Aug 6, 2009, 06:59 AM

Good luck with that... it might be, but most are high volts. I say just start placing wires wherever and see if it works. You seem to know everything you need to anyway. Why not give the old college try and try not to hurt yourself or the machine.

Aug 6, 2009, 05:16 PM

I talked to a local servicemen here and he said to trace the wires from the thermostat (T) to the furnace - Make sure the red from thermostat goes to the R connector on the Controller Wire Terminal (CWT) - Then the yellow wire from the (T) goes to to the Y connector on the (CWT) - Then the white wire from the (T) goes to the W connector on the (CWT) - Then the green wire on the (T) goes to the G connector on the (CWT).

Then isolate the two wires from the humidifier (see what color they are) back to the furnace - Then connect the one wire to the C connector on the (CWT) and the other to the one to the Y connector and it doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal - Then isolate the wire pair (see what color they are) for the condenser back to the furnace - Then connect one of the wires to the C connector on the (CWT) and the other wire to the W connector on the (CWT) - It doesn't matter which wire goes to which connector.

I have done this. Now I have another question.

There was a blue wire hooked up to the C connector on the (CWT) and I wonder what that wire is for? Since I do not have a heat pump or a multi-wire thermostat.

Also does the wire from the humidifier that would go to the C connector on the (CWT) - go the humidifier 24v spade connector instead ?

Aug 6, 2009, 05:30 PM

I talked to a local servicemen here and he said to trace the wires from the thermostat (T) to the furnace - Make sure the red from thermostat goes to the R connector on the Controller Wire Terminal (CWT) - Then the yellow wire from the (T) goes to to the Y connector on the (CWT) - Then the white wire from the (T) goes to the W connector on the (CWT) - Then the green wire on the (T) goes to the G connector on the (CWT).

Then isolate the two wires from the humidifier (see what color they are) back to the furnace - Then connect the one wire to the C connector on the (CWT) and the other to the one to the Y connector and it doesn't matter which wire goes to which terminal - Then isolate the wire pair (see what color they are) for the condenser back to the furnace - Then connect one of the wires to the C connector on the (CWT) and the other wire to the W connector on the (CWT) - It doesn't matter which wire goes to which connector.

I have done this. Now I have another question.

There was a blue wire hooked up to the C connector on the (CWT) and I wonder what that wire is for? Since I do not have a heat pump or a multi-wire thermostat.

Also does the wire from the humidifier that would go to the C connector on the (CWT) - go the humidifier 24v spade connector instead ?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:07 PM

I only have a moment, I noticed in the manual it could be 120 or 24 volts. What do you have?
    Just looked back, it was 24 volts, will try to get back tomorrow if not answered.

Aug 6, 2009, 06:10 PM

Thanks I appreciate your response!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air conditioning unit [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have to get my central air conditioning unit disconnected and shifted to get the pavement underneath it repaired. Also need to get it connected again. How much should the service charge me? One estimate was $1100 which is far too much. Can anyone suggest or comment? Thank you

Central Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my home air conditioning system. Nice down stairs but upstairs terrible. It's the original system, 19 years old. My house is 2500 sq feet, 2 story. What's the best system I should buy? How many seer? I don't want to overbuy but upstairs is unbearable!!

Central air conditioning [ 2 Answers ]

My central air unit does not "kick" on. The fan from the furnace and heat... does. There is a spark at the thermostat and the fuse box appears to be o.k. Any suggestions.

Central air conditioning problem [ 2 Answers ]

My central air conditioning unit seems to work well with normal air flow. On several occasions at night the inside coil has frozen allowing little air to pass. I have reset the thermostat to a higher setting allowing the coil to thaw and air flow returns to normal. The daytime temps have been in...

Central Air Conditioning Watts [ 5 Answers ]

How many watts are in a typical 3 ton central A/C unit, 5 ton unit and 10 unit? Does Anyone know? I'm trying to figure out how much of my electricity bill is due to air conditioning and heating cost.

View more questions Search