Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayne3rr0r Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Warm up cat below efficiency level
    I have a 2004 Mitsubishi Galant engine type:2.4L SOHC and my service engine light is on and when the codes are read it says that the warm up cat is below efficiency level what does that mean and how can it be fixed I will try to get the code number asap
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 9, 2009, 05:11 AM

If the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the efficiency of the converter is below a certain predetermined point, that light and the code, either P0421 for cylinder's 1 & 4, or P0431 for # 2 & 3, to alert you to potentially excessive emissions.

What is your mileage? You should check with your local dealership regarding possible coverage for a faulty converter. Most major emission items are covered far longer than the original factory warranty.

Jun 14, 2009, 09:10 PM

Should I replace my o2 sensors to see if that works?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 15, 2009, 10:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rayne3rr0r View Post
    should i replace my o2 sensors to see if that works?
    You could... I wouldn't. Not till I know more.
    That would be far less expensive, and quicker, than replacing a converter... if that fixes the problem.
    The sensors may be old and needing replacement due to slow contamination. But, I just don't think it will fix what's broke.

Why? Because the oxygen sensors are just that: sensors. If they "sense" something isn't what is should be, they set a code.
    But, they are reporting the condition of the exhaust gasses, NOT the condition of the sensors. If they indicate lean conditions in the exhaust, chances are that there may actually be lean conditions.

But--- I still say you should check with your local dealer or repai shop. Being as both converter codes are setting simultaneously, there may be only a simple software update that adjusts the threshold criteria. Either way, they will have the diagnostic scan tool that, in the hands of a skilled automotive technician, can pin-point the problem and fix only what needs fixed.

Aug 6, 2009, 11:40 AM

How much would it be to replace a warm up cat?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rayne3rr0r
    how much would it be to replace a warm up cat?
    That can vary significantly from one place to another.
    Have you contacted a local dealer or service facility to see if they have any info for you? It's usually just a phone call away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ink level on printers lost ink level option [ 1 Answers ]

I have a HP Deskjet 950C and HP Phttosmart 7550 printer. Both printers have lost the option to see the ink levels. Is there a way to get this option back.

Nice on main level, hot on upper level [ 4 Answers ]

We live in a house that is 5 yrs old. With the A/C on, the main level of the house is very comfortable yet the upper level where the bedrooms are doesn't seem to cool down at all. I'm thinking that it has something to do with the duct work which won't be an easy fix. Could there be any other...

Furnace Heating : Cold air blowing from vent from one level/ Warm air in the other [ 1 Answers ]

Ours is a 2 level house (1995), both levels heated by the same furnace ( YORK Multiposition Gas-Fired Furnace MODEL P2MP 32-112 MBH OUTPUT) . We have two digital thermostats (Hunter Programmable type) located on each floor. We were out for a few days and when we came back the lower level is getting...

Efficiency [ 3 Answers ]

1. A 100w light bulb produces 8w of light What happens to the other 92w?

View more questions Search