Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 08:10 AM
    American Moving to Canada
    Hi there. I'm in a bit of a pickle - I am Canadian, and my boyfriend is American. In the near future, he is hoping to move in with me, but I'm having issues finding information on how I can go about doing it.

Besides getting a work visa, is there any way for him to stay here legally?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 3, 2009, 12:02 PM

Not so difficult for Americans.. please read:
    Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 12:57 PM

There are no special exemptions or laws for Americans wanting to move to Canada, I am Canadian and my wife is American and we get her visa (family class, immigration through a spouse) about a year ago. We had to wait almost a year for her to get the visa and we had already been married 2 years at the time of application.

For permanent immigration to Canada you would have to sponsor him as your common-law partner (or as a spouse if you decide to ger married) or he can get a work visa as it seems you know.

If he wants to come in temporarily he could consider getting a student visa, a temporary work visa or just coming in on a visitors visa.

It sounds like you want him in Canada permanently, if you don't want to get married you can still apply for permanent residence under the family class if he can be considered a common-law partner. The link below will explain more about this type of immigration and the qualifications needed for him to be considered a common-law spouse.

Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 01:34 PM

Thank you, Lowtax!
    Before you got her visa, how did she live with you legally? I'd like for him to live long enough with me so I can sponsor him as common-law, but I'm just unsure at how I can really do this.
    Do you know how long visitor visas last? Or would he have to keep renewing?
    Also, would he be able to work here?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 10:21 AM

On a visitor visa he can stay in Canada for 6 months, you can apply for a renewal but it would be best for him to go home every 6 months for a bit and then come back in. He cannot work in a visitor visa.

That was what my wife did, came in as a visitor for 6 months, went home for one month over a over until we got her permanent resident visa.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-Jewish American moving to Isreal somehow? [ 12 Answers ]

I want to move to Israel to be with my boyfriend living there. How can I go legally? What do I have to do? Become a student somewhere? Convert? Get married? What are my options?

American daughter to marry Canadian in Canada [ 2 Answers ]

My 21 yr old US daughter has been living with her fiancé in Ottawa for a year now. They want to marry there. What does she need to do? She has read immigration law but is very confused. Also, she doesn't want a church wedding. She wants the equivalent of an American " justice of the peace in...

US income taxes for an American living in Canada [ 4 Answers ]

I have a few questions about my US income taxes this year. I married a Canadian and moved to Canada from the US last August, so I don't qualify for the exclusion through either the bona fide resident or physical presence test. That's fine with me (I made less than $8000 total worldwide last year,...

USA, Mexico, Canada might become the North American Union [ 68 Answers ]

Maybe some of you have seen on the news the idea of making a huge highway from Mexico to Canada. And, as you probably know, borders aren't being improved. I have recently seen on more than one political program that the US is taking steps toward making a North American Union. Much like the...

View more questions Search