Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AngGlas Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 10:19 AM
    Why is my dog trying to eat her poop?
    I just picked her from the breeder on Fri(4/3) and today is Tues (4/7), she started trying to eat her poop on Sunday. So now I am racing to get the poop before her. I read that it can be something lacking in her diet, which I am currently switching her food to Blue Buffalo, from the breeders food, but she hasn't eaten today at all( she ate it yesterday). When she does poop, it looks OK, from what I have read. What can I do to stop this behavior?
    GuidedVisions Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2009, 10:21 AM

I have worked as a vet assistant, Some dogs do this because they are nervous also. Very often new dogs/puppies will do that when they are changed into a new home, very often when there is already another pet in the home, they have a tendency to do worst. I am also a clairvoyant medium who does animal connections and I can tell you at this point, that this is only temporary and it is going to stop in the next three weeks. A little anxiety on the dogs part also. It's going to be fine :)
    Blessings
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 03:20 PM

Well, not to poo poo (sorry, couldn't help it) on the above advice, but, depending on the breed, this could be a forever problem.

Is she a herding or hunting breed? They will eat their poo because it's part of their genetics. Think about it, it makes sense. If you have a dog that's mainly used for hunting, eating the poo will make sure that other animals don't catch his/her scent while he/ she is on the job.

It doesn't matter if you dog will never hunt or herd, it's part of their behaviour, part of their breed.

Just keep picking it up as soon as you see it. It won't really hurt her, but it is disgusting.

Good luck.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 7, 2009, 03:48 PM

It may be hard to believe but poop-eating is not uncommon or abnormal. And... it may even have its benefits.

In fact, the mother dog will naturally eat the poop of her puppies as she cleans them and her nest. Puppies often eat poop as they explore their environment - probably in the same manner that babies and small children will put just about anything in their mouths.

Eventually, most puppies figure out that there are better and tastier things to eat than poop and move on to consume food. Other dogs never learn and will continue this behavior.

Other dogs are thought to do it out of boredom. It is also possible some dogs will eat feces in an attempt to correct nutritional deficiencies form a poor quality diet.

It is important to look at why a dog is eating poop to determine what can be done. By the way... the medical term for eating feces is "Coprophagia".
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Apr 7, 2009, 07:15 PM

There are products on the market to make their poop taste "bad" to them. Deter and Forbid are both products I have heard to be successful. You just add a little to their food. I have also heard pineapple juice works
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Apr 7, 2009, 09:11 PM

I also wanted to mention, when you switch her food, switch it gradually. Mix the food she was eating with the new food, half and half. Then start putting a little less of the old food in with the new, with each meal. It's never a good idea to just switch from one to another immediately.

Apr 8, 2009, 05:55 AM

I am mixing the food from the breeder and her new food. I also bought the deter to make her poop taste bad (laughing about that one). But now she is not eating!

Apr 8, 2009, 05:56 AM
    She's playing and drinking plenty of water just not interested in her food.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2009, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidedVisions View Post
    I have worked as a vet assistant, Some dogs do this because they are nervous also. Very often new dogs/puppies will do that when they are changed into a new home, very often when there is already another pet in the home, they have a tendency to do worst. I am also a clairvoyant medium who does animal connections and i can tell you at this point, that this is only temporary and it is going to stop in the next three weeks. A little anxiety on the dogs part also. It's going to be fine :)
    Blessings

What is a clairvoyant medium who does animal connections - ?

Are you using your clairvoyant senses to know that the dog will stop in the next three weeks or is this your opinion as a vet assistant?

I'm confused by this post.

(For the record books, my dogs have both eaten "poop" in the past; both grew out of the phase.)
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

Apr 8, 2009, 03:12 PM

Lots of dogs eat their poop because they are not absorbing enough protein. Try S.E.P (Stop Eating Poop). You sprinkle it on their food, it should help.

Apr 13, 2009, 08:35 AM

Since I have stopped using the pads and she is going outside; she seems to have lost interest in her poop! Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat does not poop. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a four week and five day old single birth kitten. I have not seen any poop lying around or any wet spots. We have not seen any poop since the day he was born. He seems healthy and fine. He runs around and plays, nibbles on things. But I heard from another question that a disstended...

Uses pee pad to pee, but never to poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Chihuahua that’s about 3 months and I trained him to use pee pads in the house, he was doing really good so then I bought a litter box with no lid and put his pee pad in there to try and get him to be box trained, he wouldn’t use it, and started peeing and pooping on the floor, so I took...

Dog Poop [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is has been having stomach problems the last few days, he is up all night trying to poop and when he does its slimy and has a tint of green. What does this mean? What is this?

Pet poop [ 10 Answers ]

I can't stop my shelty from craping in my basement. He does it when I am in bed or in the shower. I bring him out he just pee's. I stick his nose in it. He is 2 years old and I thought he would not do this anymore! What can I do?:confused:

Dog will not pee or poop outside [ 1 Answers ]

I just adopted a 2 year old greyhound terrier mix from the kennel four weeks ago. The kennel said that he was an inside dog. The problem is getting him to go to potty outside. He seems to be shy about peeing and pooping. I have taking him for a two hour walk through the park and around the block...

View more questions Search