Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SusanMD Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Wants to be friends after breaking up. Is he crazy?
    My boyfriend and I had a fight 3 weeks ago. We argued through the texts for a week. I called and asked to see him the next week. He said no, this is what you wanted. He told me I should have called him the next day, but I waited a week, so he got his closure. He's been calling for two days saying he still wants to be friends, as if nothing happened, and that it will never be like it was before. He acts like nothing happened and that we're just casual friends. I told him I need time to get him out of my head, but he won't listen. I'm sorry, but it takes more than a week for me to get over somebody. What could he be thinking? We were together 10 months and every time we fought, he never let it last two days. It drives me crazy to know he got over it so fast and now can be casual friends. Is this normal to anyone?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Yep. USUALLY, dumpers want to remain friends because

1. they feel less guilty about it
    2. they want their cake and "eat it too"
    3. they don't want a void in their lives
    4. they want to hang onto a possible future hookup

... any of them really.

Check out the two stickies in the relationship forum... it should be able to pretty much gauge what'll happen.
    madonna-berry17 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Well it depends on what was the reason for the breakup.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Apr 23, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Seems to me like he might have been looking for an excuse to breakup and he fond it. Granted 10 months isn't a REAL long time, but one week for a 10 month relationship doesn't seem like it would be enough to move on...

My guess - he has been detaching himself for a while now...
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 23, 2008, 08:11 AM
    It may be normal for him, but that's not doing you any good is it? Stop all the contact with him, and do what you must to get over him, and move on, in your own time.
    bellababy60 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Apr 23, 2008, 03:30 PM
    MY b/f of four months tried everything to that effect after our 2nd break up and when I didn't make myself available to him in "that way"... BFF's/Companions etc... He came running back to me after he realized ON HIS OWN TERMS that I WAS the ONE for HIM. DO NOT allow yourself to be manipulated by your ex. He is your "ex" for a reason. Move on with your life and "detach" yourself from him... see how he likes it when you're not running to him at his beckon call! Be firm and tell him to never call or text you again unless he is willing to reconcile your relationship in the manner to which you left it. Work things out... or move on. Hope this helps.
    bellababy60 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

Sep 24, 2008, 10:07 AM

** In response to "Wants to be friends after breaking up. Is he crazy?"

Hello again.. been going through the same b/s with the same dumbass. Lol. He did the same thing your ex b/f did.. through text. But this time... I am going to follow my own advice to you as previously posted. I am prepared to send a response text to him saying that my phone is "not accepting any text messages from this number"... etc. and it will be done. So... believe me - you can walk away from this with pride and dignity and keep your head up because I have found someone better to treat me like the woman that I am.. not only because I deserve it but because he is APPRECIATIVE of it and deserves it as well. There are a few good men left out there... be very very selective next time around. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends who turned out to be false friends [ 11 Answers ]

Does any one have experience of people they thought to be friends but they turned out to be false friends ?

Ex is seeing a lot of one of my best friends. Think I'm losing friends everywhere [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, not to bore anyone with details, but my ex and I broke up a couple of months ago, and I've found it excruciating to deal with my feelings. I have good and bad days, and a couple of days ago would have been our 2 year anniversary. I've noticed that one of my best friends is getting very close...

Best Friends Dating (And Breaking Up) [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so here's the basics of this situation: My current girlfriend is 17, and I am 18. We have been inseparable best friends for almost 5 years now, and in some instances we know each better than we know ourselves. We each have watched over the years as the other dated several different people,...

View more questions Search