Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karly Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2008, 07:45 AM
    How shall I start this story off?
    I'm planning on writing a short story about a boy who wanted a "break" from his girlfriend. She doesn't necessarily understand the meaning of the word. She's constantly stalking him as he tries to push her farther and farther away. I wanted her stalkish ways to become pretty creepy, but I'm still plotting events. The only problem I'm debating over is how to actually start the story; I've just come up with numerous ways and I can't decide on a set location. I was thinking about starting the story off after he has already broken up with her and he's trying hide/avoid her. So I was thinking about capturing a place he could be hiding in, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Or any other options to start the story off?
    :)
    Pinkwater Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

May 9, 2008, 08:43 PM
    What about this?. First decide what genre your story is going to be: Drama, Comedy, Thriller, Suspense, etc. From your post the story sounds like a Drama/Suspense.

I write also and here's how I would start the story. I would begin right at the point were the guy is telling the female that he wants to break up, that would be the first part of the story. Then, I would pick the story about a month later with her showing up at his job or house.

He would be exremely angry at her and go on a rant about how she has been calling him for the past month and sending him messages, that she needs to stop and move on because its over between them. She would tell that she wants to be with and he says no,m its over.

Then that's where the creepy stalking and suspense would begin by the female.

Hope it helps.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 10, 2008, 02:59 AM
    Excellent ideas in the above answer! I do want to ask you though, is the reason that you are going to be writing this story because it is an assignment that has been given to you or just because it is something that you want to do? Thanks!
    Karly Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2008, 07:23 AM
    It's just something I want to do.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2008, 07:39 AM
    You could start the story off with him being held captive, and reliving the ahh moments that got him there. OF course I would not reveal the stalker until the last chapter of the book.

At his first day of college a nice young Sophomore befriended him, she helped him pick up the contents of the items that he had dropped from a box, while moving into the dorm on a warm Sept day. Slowly she begins to take his life over, year by year, girl after girl, friend after friend. When she graduates her hold on him begins to loosen and she goes to great lengths to regain it and then finally the breaking point where she abducts him and holds him hostage.
    *Edit* sorry I think I misread your entire post... I'm scratching my idea. You want the reader to know that it is the flaky girlfriend.
    mimi03 Posts: 201, Reputation: 45

May 15, 2008, 02:08 PM
    It may be nice to open up with a scene of the girlfriend stalking the ex boyfriend... Im an avid reader, I think the best books Ive read were ones that grabbed me right from the start and left me wanting more...
    So maybe the guy is driving and notices a familiar car following him or he's in class and has this awkward feeling that someone is watching him and of course it's her sitting behind him or he's on a date and sees her in the same restaurant by herself...
    Im not sure who would be narrating the story but if it's the guy, after opening with the stalking scenario you could explain who the stalker is by having the guy vent his frustrations to someone like a friend or parent or sibling

Sounds like a very good suspense topic... hope this helps some! Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another ex story. [ 5 Answers ]

We've dated before... earlier on this year and before that we knew eachother for a year. He told me eveything about his life (even things his own family didn't know even things his best friends for ever didn't know). We grew closer with time and the night he asked me out was the one night I swear I...

My story [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so My boyfriend and I are trying to conceive. Jan. 14, 2007 was my last regular, normal period. My normal periods are heavy, heavy dark red and they last 4 days exactly. Feb. 10, 2007 I had brown spotting with light red/pink blood. It lasted 3 days. I took 3 test all came back negative....

My story.. [ 16 Answers ]

Hello First of all, thanks to all the mods and admins for running such a great forum. Kip Up the good work! Now here's my story, I 've been with my girlfriend for 1.5 years. Last week she said she needed a break before we get any deeper in this relationship. I agreed and gave her some...

This is my story [ 10 Answers ]

I met this boy several years ago. He was so wonderful, in so many different ways. My family loved him, as did I. We quickly fell in love. But I was so young and inexperienced. I was 18, he was 25. I didn't know what I wanted, in him, in myself, in life. I chose to abruptly end our relationship. It...

View more questions Search