Free home repairs for senior citizens.

Asked Jan 9, 2013, 02:42 PM 8 Answers
    I'm a retired senior citizen and been having difficulty keeping up with the many repairs needed in my home. I have applied with the city and sheltering arms but they won't budge because I have foundation problems.

Is there any one out there that knows of a company, person, or government agency that will aid in house repairs. For I cant get insurance on my house until the various repairs are done and if my mortgage company gets one my mortgage goes up! Sending out an SOS. PLease help if you can! Thanks in advance and God Bless!

Last edited by talaniman; Jan 9, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 25,673, Reputation: 5612
    Pets Expert

#2

Jan 9, 2013, 02:44 PM
    We would need your general location in order to help. This is an international site.

Don't post your exact address, just general, like Country, state, province, etc. etc.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 21,324, Reputation: 2420

#3

Jan 9, 2013, 02:44 PM
    Don't know where you are; but it doesn't make any difference. I am a senior and I pay for repairs and renovations.

If you let us know what country you are in, perhaps we can direct you to low cost repair work.
    lcawthorne's Avatar
    lcawthorne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#4

Jan 9, 2013, 02:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post

I'm in Houston Tx, Harris County, United States.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 21,324, Reputation: 2420

#5

Jan 9, 2013, 02:53 PM
    We are all volunteers and there are other experts to answer your question.
    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 25,673, Reputation: 5612
    Pets Expert

#6

Jan 9, 2013, 02:54 PM
    Let me do a bit of research. It may take a while. I'm not really familiar with the States. Give me a bit of time. Check back in a few hours, hopefully I'll have found something.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 35,021, Reputation: 5104
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

#7

Jan 9, 2013, 03:00 PM
    Call the reference desk at your local public library and ask this question. They should have a list of local groups who do work on a sliding scale or as volunteers for senior citizens. In that group, there is probably a general contractor who will assess the situation with your foundation and perhaps be able to figure out ways to help you (depending on what is wrong) for a low cost. For instance, my son's home was built in 1920 and has foundation problems due to mortar crumbling. He has been told the best way to fix this is to pour a new foundation to the tune of $15,000+ -- so again, it depends on what is wrong with YOUR foundation.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 47,039, Reputation: 10286
    Senior Family & People Expert

#8

Jan 9, 2013, 03:22 PM

Have you looked into a home warranty company in your area? Quotes are free. Foundation repair is a common problem in Texas, old home or new, and financing is the key.

Texas Home Warranty Companies

http://www.ehow.com/how_5984266_pay-...me-equity.html
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,720, Reputation: 7217

#9

Jan 9, 2013, 03:46 PM

If you are a veteran, check with the local groups, AM Vets, American Legion, VFW, they provide some minor money help to other vets in need, plus at times some of their members even help with work.

Also the religion of your faith, and the worship center you attend is usually the best source. Most help comes from within the religious community.

Grant for home repairs for senior citizens [ 6 Answers ]

Our home is in need of repairs and we do not have the money to fix it, are there any grants out there for seniors for home repairs?

Free senior citizen home repairs [ 1 Answers ]

My mother is 83 years old, and needs repairs to her home how can I get free help?

Home repairs for senior citizens? [ 0 Answers ]

To whom it may concern, I had purchased this home about a year ago... not realizing that it had so many problems some of them were discovered in the home inspection.. and others are showing up now... and the cost of trying to get these things done are way out of my ball park... This is my first...

Grants for senior citizens home repairs [ 5 Answers ]

My mom is 84 yrs old and only receives social security-she has been having water leaking into her basment for years. We would dry it up and wait for the next rainfall. It has gotten so bad that she now has mold spores and the tile on the floor has broken to pieces. It's affecting her health because...

Free home repairs for senior citizens [ 4 Answers ]

I am disabled and on Social Security Disablity, I had my leg amputed. Does anyone know of any agencies, etc. that can provide me with some home repairs, I live in Brazoria, County, Texas, which is next door to Houston, Texas. I live in a Mobile Home and it needs to be leveled and skirting...