Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bomtiggity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 10:26 AM
    How to make sub floor thicker
    Im installing Dura Plank made by Congoleum over 900 sq ft of wood subloor approx 3/4 inch .The old flooring is a combo of carpet and sheet vinyl. The vinyl is on paticle board 7/16 inch thick.. What is the proper method of matching the two different heighths.How should I Level the floor after I match the heighths
    GeorgeLeigh50 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 11:19 AM

You should tear out the carpet, not try to lay flooring overtop of it.
    bomtiggity Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 01:14 PM
    Oh yes definatley the carpet is coming out. But That will bring me down to the sub floor, and the vinyl , which iwould like to leave down , is 7/16 of an inch higher than the subfloor it sits on.Can I nail down 7/16 osb on the 3/4 inch sub floor,so it matches the vinyl height
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 3, 2010, 01:42 PM

I've been through this process many times, none were any fun. Looks great when you are finished but it is miserable work!

When I pulled the carpet off the bedroom floor, the remaining particle board was so pitted and rotted that I just went back to Home Depot and picked up new wood panels.

Ripped out all of the sub-floor and replaced it with the new wood.

Also, they make floor leveling compound that allow you to pour the compound onto the floor and let it seek its own level.

Always, level the seems, then make sure the floor is level. Do this with a level. As you slide the level over the new sub-floor, look for any open spots under the level. If you see them, use the frame of the level to smooth out the leveling compound. Also, make sure you level is level by paying attention to the bubbles.

It is so very critical that you get the sub-floor a smooth and level as possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to get my hair thicker [ 8 Answers ]

I'm waiting :(for this answer for a long rome and nobody answered this yet Can someone pleassseeee help me My hair is really thin and I don't know how to get it thicker I tried sooo many thinks But nothing worked Please can someone help me?? Thank you

Thicker hair [ 1 Answers ]

My hair is very thin, how can I get thicker hair??

Want thicker hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My hair is very thing and I want stronger and thicker one. I have very big forehead too because of very thing hair. How can I get thicker hair? Any good product you know to thicken my hair? Thnx;)

How do I raise the flange to make it even with the new floor [ 1 Answers ]

I laid new ceramic tile in my bathroom but now the flange for the toilet is below the floor line. How do I raise the flange so I can install the toilet without it leaking:confused:

Blood thicker than water? [ 1 Answers ]

Is blood actually thicker than water?

View more questions Search