Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 25, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Someone Please define hooking up for me.
    As I am creeping up on 40, I have lost some of the lingo, that is going around, I drive a bus for a living, and hear kids talk all the time, I constantly hear them say

Ya, I was at a party and I hooked up with this one and then later I hook up with that one

Someone Please define hooking up for me.

There is no way I am asking my daughter, reverse parental question, ha then she would have one on me, that I think would be bad.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 25, 2006, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    Phrasal Verb:
    hook up

1. To assemble or wire (a mechanism).
    2. To connect a mechanism and a source of power.
    3. Slang
    1. To meet or associate: We agreed to hook up after class. He hooked up with the wrong crowd.
    2. To become romantically or sexually involved with someone.
    3. To marry or get married.
    There you go ;)
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 25, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Ya, I was at a party and I hooked up with this one and then later I hook up with that one
    I think in teen speak it means like 1st base, 2nd base kind of thing and meeting friends. Our they can also use it this way --- >> " I hooked up with my mates at the mall, and we chilled" if that makes sense too you.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Jan 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
    My friends use it to describe getting together sexually with someone. Not being American I have NO IDEA what your "first base" and "second base" pertain to, but I imagine it's something similar!
    I suppose it's all relative to the age you are, but I'm not sure. My female friends use it in describing someone they slept with. ("I hooked up with him later on that night.") My male friends generally use it to vaguely describe an encounter with someone, without having to go into too much detail.
    Does anyone have any better descriptions?
    When I hear someone say this, I am always trying to figure out the context too, like when Americans/Canadians say they are making out - are they just kissing or what? We don't use that phrase, so if anyone can enlighten, it will be a great help!
    And by the way, I'm supposed to be a young person, but equally befuddled by the vagueness of these kind of words!
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2006, 12:25 PM
    It can mean anything from meeting up with someone to any kind of sexual activity.

Here's a GREAT resource for you, Mom... http://www.urbandictionary.com

You will find definitions to ALL the lingo you will likely EVER hear! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up a gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

My gas stove is falling apart. I found basically the same gas oven used, but a few years newer than my current stove. I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I was wondering if it would be all right for me to hook up the gas line. Is it as simple as turning off the gas line, unscrewing the hose and...

Hooking back up with ex [ 12 Answers ]

I have a problem. I listened to some false rumors six years ago in high school and broke a dear friends heart. I never got over my frustration for acting hasty. Now, after calling every person in the phone book with her last name and looking on whitepages on the net, I've finally found her. I...

3yrs hooking up with someone and we aren't boyfriend and girlfriend [ 13 Answers ]

I have been hooking up with this guy for 3 years. I like him so much and I know he likes me. I don't think he wants a commitment, because he hasn't asked me out and he may never. We hangout like once a week and we keep our options open for others that walk into our lives. I wonder sometimes why...

Hooking up DSL [ 5 Answers ]

I had Dial-up service up until this point and now I am hooking up DSL service. I have Windows xp. After I hook up to modem and the ethernet cable and all that, do I just click on Internet Explorer like I did before, or do I have to change settings on my PC? I thought some kind of window was...

Hooking up a AMp to a comp... [ 4 Answers ]

I have heard nothing about hooking up a amp to a computer... I have pulled the ittle computer amp out of the computer... so how would I hook up an amp and subs to it... or just subs?

View more questions Search