Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    outrage Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
    401k ?
    I asked this question maybe I was not clear enough. I withdrew my 401k when I lived and worked in NY. Later in the year I moved to PA and took a job in NJ. I have to file taxes in all 3 states do I have to claim that 401k money as income in all 3 states? I have not seen this type of multi state Question on this site could someone give me an answer thank you very much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2007, 07:31 PM
    You have to claim it on your Federal Return. Many State returns require that you transfer the income from the 1040 to your state return. So yes it would be reported.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2007, 11:26 AM
    As answered earlier, you claim the 401K distribution ONLY on your NY return as that was your residency state at the time of the withdrawal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k [ 2 Answers ]

1. Can I use rental income to contribute to my Solo 401k? 2. If I pay myself a salary to manage my rental properties, Can some of that salary be contributed to my Solo 401k? 3. What’s the 402(g) limit for 2006? 4. Can 2006 contributions be made up to April 15, 2007.

What to do with 401K [ 1 Answers ]

I am being let go from my job after 20 yrs. I may retire in less than a year. I will need to supplement my pension and Social Security. What is best route to reinvest my 401K, in order to collect a monthly amount?

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

View more questions Search