Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mesegars Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Tax on 401k
    I was 59 1/2 when I drew out my 401k. I paid fed tax on this, when I filed my taxes h&r block added the total amt back to my earnings. I had the form showing where it was already taken out. Was this the right thing to do? Sounds like being double taxed. Thank you. Myra
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 08:11 PM
    No you are not being double taxed,

Yes the money you got out when be shown in the earnings, but then the amount of tax you paid on this will also be shown under taxes paid.

Just like a pay check, you get paid and report that earnings, but taxes are already held out, but those taxes are just shown as being paid.
    The taxes you paid may or may not be enough to cover actual taxes, since the amount you paid at the time of withdraw is only estimated taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Penalty on 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I am just divorced and am receiving 401K in a large sum. If I stay below $125,000 gross income will I stay at 25% tax penalty.

401K penalty tax [ 2 Answers ]

I withdrew 35,676.09 from 401K with 7,135.21 federal tax with held. Can you tell me how much more I will have to be paid from this amount when taxes are done this year. This withdrawal was done in 2006.

401k tax [ 1 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me with this one, My aunt died this year her 401k was closed and the money was sent to her sisters in England, should there have been a lower tax paid on it because she had passed away, also should the tax have been different as it was leaving the country, I really...

401K and which state tax ? [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that I have to pay fed and state tax when I take out 401K at 59 1/2 yrs old. Currently I have lived in California for 30 yrs and have 401K. Next year I plan to retire and considering moving to Texas or Arizona where the cost of living is lower than California. Question: which...

401K Tax [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in Nevada for 5 years with an H-1B visa. Now I am back to the school for my MBA degree in Atlanta, Georgia. I have $12,000 vested in my 401K Account. Since I am neither a US citizen nor a permanent resident, I am considering to cash my 401K and use it for my tuition. As I understand...

View more questions Search