Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taurinegb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 01:33 PM
    401K deduction before 59 1/2 need tax table to calculate how much taxes I will pay
    I am moving out of the country in the next couple of months and I want to cash out my 401K.
    I have talked to the retirement plan service and they stated that they will take 20% of my funds. My question is, how can I calculate how much more I will need to pay the IRS when I file my taxes in 2009 for 2008? The retirement plan service said it would depend on the tax bracket I fall into. I have not been able to find a tax table specifically for the tax penalty of the 401K, can you help? Also, if I stop working in the US by March, won't I fall into a lower tax bracket because my income will be so much lower than previous years and I won't have to pay so much in taxes for the early with drawl of the 401K? Thank you for your time:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2008, 01:38 PM
    The problem is tax tables for 2008 are not set yet. Did you do your taxes for this year? You might ask your tax preparer. If you used sopftware like TurboTax, they have projection tools where you can do What Ifs to get an estimate. By the way you will also have to pay a 10% penalty.

Jan 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
    No I haven't done my taxes for this year yet. I thought the 20% that the retirement service was taking out included the 10%? Because they said that they were required to take out the 20%. So I have 30% to pay in penalties now plus taxes when I do the my 2008 taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by taurinegb
    Also, if I stop working in the US by March, won't I fall into a lower tax bracket because my income will be so much lower than previous years and I won't have to pay so much in taxes for the early with drawl of the 401K?
    Depends on the size of the withdrawal - if you take a sizeable enough withdrawal it could push you into a higher bracket. Also, don't forget that depending on what state you live in you will also owe state income taxes on the withdrawal. Finally, as Scott says, you will owe an additional 10% penalty.

Jan 30, 2008, 02:45 PM
    Ok, thank you for your time : )
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2008, 07:55 PM
    No, the 20% is a withholding. Its applied to the taxes you owe for the year. The 10% is a penalty that is paid when you file your taxes. So you will pay a flat 10% of the amount of the withdrawal. In addition, to the 10%, the amount of the withdrawal will be added to your taxable income for the year. That amount will then be used to calculate your total tax liability for the year. Whatever amounts have been withheld during the year will be applied towards your tax liability to determine whether you owe additional amounts or will get a refund.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Agree with all posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liquidating 401k to pay back-tax debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon. Long story short. I am trying to clean up my credit, and resolve back taxes with the IRS. The interest and fees now higher than my tax debt. I do have a tax attorney that is working with me and the IRS. I want to pay the IRS asap once I know the amount, about $12,000. ...

Ca state tax deduction from 401k contribution [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to 401k. If I enroll in 401, does it reduce only Federal tax liability, or CA state tax liability as well. How can I compute what tax I will save if I put 3000 In 401k. Any helpful sites/ calculators? Regards, JKG

401k to pay taxes? [ 8 Answers ]

:confused: Could someone answer a really weird question ? can I use my very small 401k to pay the irs? thanx, mamasu2

Tax penalty to take 401k to pay off house [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Is there a tax penalty if you take 1/3 of your 401k to pay off your home loan?

401K to pay taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for early withdraw on a 401k to pay a past tax lien?

View more questions Search