Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CKING340 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Insurance overpayment
    If an insurance company has paid in error and is requesting the money back can I file bankrupt on it if I don't have the money
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Nov 27, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Hello Cking340

Please explain what you mean by pay in error? Was it an overpayment?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 27, 2007, 01:26 PM
    This is a iffy thing. If you wre aware of the overpayment and you spent it, that could be considered fraud and subject to criminal prosecution. This is really not a debt that you voluntarily incurred. So I doubt if you could get bankruptcy protection for it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    This is a iffy thing. If you wre aware of the overpayment and you spent it, that could be considered fraud and subject to criminal prosecution. This is really not a debt that you voluntarily incurred. So I doubt if you could get bankruptcy protection for it.

Exactly what Scott said unless you can absolutely prove this was a total mistake on your part - how did this happen?

And bankruptcy which will follow you for years appears to be a rather drastic attempt to resolve this problem - plus you might end getting charged with fraud.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank of America Overpayment [ 3 Answers ]

Apologies in advance for long post. So my story is I gave notice rather abruptly at Bank of America when I worked in their customer service dept. I'm not 100% positive of the date but I believe it was May 23rd of this year. Anyway, my last paycheck from them was a full check which surprised me....

Child Support Overpayment [ 13 Answers ]

In 2005 the State of Indiana intercepted my '04 Tax returns to repay the $5500 in welfare that my ex received for my son. My Fed return was $6200 and my state was $450. They started taking $85/wk when my order was for $54/wk. The next year they took the Fed $2597 and the State $200 with no...

Child Support Overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

I am in South Carolina. My last child graduated from high school in May. My ex continued to pay child support for 6 weeks. I was struggling financially at the time and thought he was being considerate since the payments were no burden for him. Now he says he made the payments in error and has...

View more questions Search