Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandville Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2007, 08:25 PM
    401k cashout
    When I retire at 62 1/2 should I take a large amount out of my 401k money and pay off the mortgage on my house. Are there any tax penalties by doing it. Should I just reinvest
    The 401k dollars.:confused:
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

May 7, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by grandville
    When i retire at 62 1/2 should i take a large amount out of my 401k money and pay off the mortgage on my house. Are there any tax penalties by doing it. Should i just reinvest
    the 401k dollars.:confused:
    Each person's situation is different. You may need the retirement income the 401(k) produces ? You may or may not be earning more interest on your 401(k) than you mortgae loan is charging you ? Your 401(k) contributions probably resulted in lower Fed and State taxes on your income and might or might not be completely or partially free of income tax when, if you do withdraw it ? You might or might not be considering refinancing your mortgage or you might be considering moving to another home ? If you have other debts than the mortgage interest that might be tax deductible, you may be better off paying those debs off with the 401(k) money. It might be a good idea to get the opinion of a trained perhaps "certified" financial planner and pay him a fee to analyze your specific situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k ? [ 2 Answers ]

I asked this question maybe I was not clear enough. I withdrew my 401k when I lived and worked in NY. Later in the year I moved to PA and took a job in NJ. I have to file taxes in all 3 states do I have to claim that 401k money as income in all 3 states? I have not seen this type of multi state...

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was let go by a company 3years ago I have a 401k plan there. I am wondering if I can withdraw these funds at this time.

401k [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a 401K plan with a company that is doing very well in the stock market. The company is selling this particular property in Western NY. The new owner does not offer a 401K plan. What are our options with the money in the 401K? I know we can roll it into a Roth IRA but I was wondering...

401k [ 3 Answers ]

I was listening to a Suzi Orman program where she is now saying, unless the employer offers a 40lK company match, do not contribute to a 40lK. The reason? The tax rates today are much less then they were 10,15,20 years ago. My company does not match, however I contribute 15% of my salary. I...

Taxes on 401k cashout [ 1 Answers ]

The amount is $36,000.00. The holding company withheld $7,200.00 for the IRS. Is the entire amount of $36,000.00 still a taxable amount? Does the 10% early withdrawal penalty come of the taxable amount, and now the taxable amount is $32,400.00? Is the taxable amount the total after the 20%...

View more questions Search