Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Noah's Ark
    In "other religion" there was a question on Noah's Ark.
    In the end the topic changed into a debate on the size of the Ark versus the carrying capacity versus the number of all animals and plants that would have to be in the ark to survive the flood.

Tj3 (AKA Answerway's Toms 777) stated in response to Choux's post on the problems with the size of the ark : "Others used different assumptions and came up with a completely different answer".

How can anyone claim that the ark was big enough to contain all these animals in the required quantities and variations. Not even a ship double the size of the ark would be big enough!! Logical thinking and simple mathematics makes that clear beyond any doubt.

So where is the calculation that the Ark was big enough to provide sufficient space for all in it for such a long time?
    Or can we accept the Biblical Noah's Ark story as just a copycat repeat of the Gilgamesh story?
    Attached Images

savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Jul 19, 2008, 08:17 PM
    You are asking for human wisdom to explain the things of God.

Deuteronomy 29:4
    But to this day the Lord has not given you minds that understand, nor eyes that see, nor ears that hear!

2 Corinthians 3:14
    But the people's minds were hardened, and to this day whenever the old covenant is being read, the same veil covers their minds so they cannot understand the truth. And this veil can be removed only by believing in Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:4
    Satan, who is the god of this world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. They are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News. They don't understand this message about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God.
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    You are asking for human wisdom to explain the things of God.
    No I did not . More reading comprehension problems, I see !
    All I asked was where the calculation is that the Ark was big enough to provide sufficient space for all in it for such a long time.
    Or if can we accept the Biblical Noah's Ark story as just a copycat repeat of the 2000+ years older Gilgamesh story? No, nothing about "human wisdom" or "things of god"...

:rolleyes:

·

Jul 19, 2008, 08:47 PM
    So where is the calculation that the Ark was big enough to provide sufficient space for all in it for such a long time?
    Genesis 6
    The Story of Noah
    9 This is the account of Noah and his family. Noah was a righteous man, the only blameless person living on earth at the time, and he walked in close fellowship with God. 10 Noah was the father of three sons: Shem, Ham, and Japheth.
    11 Now God saw that the earth had become corrupt and was filled with violence. 12 God observed all this corruption in the world, for everyone on earth was corrupt. 13 So God said to Noah, “I have decided to destroy all living creatures, for they have filled the earth with violence. Yes, I will wipe them all out along with the earth!

14 “Build a large boat[c] from cypress wood[d] and waterproof it with tar, inside and out. Then construct decks and stalls throughout its interior. 15 Make the boat 450 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high.[e] 16 Leave an 18-inch opening[f] below the roof all the way around the boat. Put the door on the side, and build three decks inside the boat—lower, middle, and upper.

17 “Look! I am about to cover the earth with a flood that will destroy every living thing that breathes. Everything on earth will die. 18 But I will confirm my covenant with you. So enter the boat—you and your wife and your sons and their wives. 19 Bring a pair of every kind of animal—a male and a female—into the boat with you to keep them alive during the flood. 20 Pairs of every kind of bird, and every kind of animal, and every kind of small animal that scurries along the ground, will come to you to be kept alive. 21 And be sure to take on board enough food for your family and for all the animals.”

22 So Noah did everything exactly as God had commanded him.
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
    savedsinner7 : and THAT is your calculation that the Ark was big enough to provide sufficient space for all in it for such a long time.

:D :rolleyes: :p ;) :D

·

Jul 19, 2008, 09:03 PM
    No. It is not my calculation. It is God's.
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
    savedsinner7 : Why should it be God's? That is what you BELIEVE!!
    God's existence is not a fact. God's existence is based on belief !

·
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 09:10 PM
    Were there penguins on the Ark? Platypi? Polar bears? Kangaroos? Bison?
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Were there penguins on the Ark? Platypi? Polar bears? Kangaroos? Bisons?
    Why don't you tell me? And how many of them were there, and why? And if so : what did they eat?

·
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 09:15 PM
    I asked first.

Jul 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    savedsinner7 : Why should it be God's? That is what you BELIEVE !!!
    God's existence is not a fact. God's existence is based on belief !

·
    The fact that you do not believe does not negate God's existence.
    -

Jul 19, 2008, 09:35 PM
    Wondergirl : I have no idea, reason to ask you for your views.
    The point with the ark is that even two arks would have been too small to allow for all animals pairs and other multiples to stand, eat, and sleep there.

Let's see : penguins and ice bear pairs could survive on ice/water. For the Platypus there was nothing to eat during the flood. Kangaroos and Bisons need soil underneath. And I do not take the bizon and cow argument as being one species as valid.

So now give me your arguments ! But I'll only will see that tomorrow ! Cred going horizontal!!

·
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 09:40 PM
    Huh? Why do you think I am against you, Cred? And I wasn't asking just you. I threw the questions out on the table. If it was a worldwide flood, how did the animals I named get to the Ark and how were they fed? Noah didn't even know they existed.

My point is, there are far too many questions than answers about the Flood. Saying "God took care of it" doesn't work if the Flood story is to be believable and true.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    No. It is not my calculation. It is God's.
    Yep, and God's word is sufficient.

Others have done the calculations to confirm this - here is but one example:

http://www.amendez.com/Noahs%20Ark%2...rk-Handout.pdf

I note that those who oppose Christianity will typically make the claim that there is not enough room with no validation of that claim.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    Yep, and God's word is sufficient.

Others have done the calculations to confirm this - here is but one example:

http://www.amendez.com/Noahs%20Ark%2...rk-Handout.pdf

I note that those who oppose Christianity will typically make the claim that there is not enough room with no validation of that claim.
    That link doesn't speak to my questions. What about my questions?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Hmm..
    Attached Images

-

Jul 20, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Excellent graphic, Capuchin ! Says it all ! But... uhmm... were the dino's not extinct by that time ?
    And another reason why you never should provide a box of matches to dino's ! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    If it was a worldwide flood, how did the animals I named get to the Ark and how were they fed? Noah didn't even know they existed.
    A good point, Wondergirl. HOW did all the animals that needed ground under their feet get to the Ark ?
    As to penguins on the Ark? They could swim and feed without land also, though 6 weeks+ is too long to continue. The same for polar bears. The same for the platypus. Kangaroos and bisons required solid soil. And I assume that same question applies to hundreds of thousands of other species also :

How did all these animals get to Noah from all over the world ? :confused:

:rolleyes: :p :D

·
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    Excellent graphic, Capuchin ! Says it all ! But ... uhmm ... were the dino's not extinct by that time ?
    Of course not - the flood was only 1500 years after creation.
    -

Jul 20, 2008, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Whoops : I stand corrected. How could I forget that ?

:D :D :D :D :D

·
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    \\
    Actually 1500 or so years after man was removed from Eden. In fact part of one issue, we do not know how many years or even 1000's of years Adam may have been in the Garden.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The PIG.Noah's Arc? [ 19 Answers ]

I don't know if I put this under the right religion caterory if not so sorry... But I once heard that the PIG wasn't an animal in noahs arc... is it true?? They said that the pig is a mix of a rat a dog and osmething else not quite sure... What do you guys think or know?

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah's Ark [ 1 Answers ]

Everything I need to know about life, I learned from Noah'sArk One : Don't miss the boat. Two : Remember that we are all in the same boat. Three: Plan ahead. It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark. Four : Stay fit When you're 600 years old, someone may ask you to do something really big. ...

View more questions Search