Confused about religion

Asked Feb 14, 2006, 04:26 PM ó 277 Answers
    I have no religion yet and I am 15. My parents decided when I was born to let me pick my own religion but I cant decide. Is it possible for me to go to hell because I don't have a religion? I believe in god and everything but it seems every time I start to learn something about a religion it either scares me or I disagree with something. I feel so confused.

Last edited by Curlyben; Mar 30, 2007 at 04:07 PM.
    Flurbershmorfer the perfect word for any occasion

Enjoy life to the fullest. All the bad times only make the good times more precious.
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,646, Reputation: 392

#2

Feb 14, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Hell doesn’t exist.

Well, hell is something that some religions believe in. Other religions don’t believe in hell.

Why choose a religion?

You believe in God, that is enough. Do right in the world and that is all that is needed. All these organized religions who preach about xyz are wrong in that sense.

There are how many religions out there? They can’t all be right.
    NeedKarma's Avatar
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,379, Reputation: 1667

#3

Feb 14, 2006, 04:33 PM
    The Captain speaks correctly. Don't beat yourself up over it, you do not have to be a devout anyhting. Agnostic is a perfectly sound way to go through life:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic
    orange's Avatar
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197

#4

Feb 14, 2006, 04:38 PM
    I was raised in several foster homes, and experienced several different faiths. Then I tried several religions as a young adult too. I'm now an agnostic. Whatever religion or lack of religion you decide upon, don't let anyone rush you or tell you what is best. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't feel guilty about it.
    DrJ's Avatar
    DrJ Posts: 1,311, Reputation: 339

#5

Feb 14, 2006, 04:56 PM
    I was raised Protestant Christian. Eventually, I got to the point where I needed to question why I believed what I did... and I did. Now, I serve no religion. Religion is a man made ideology that is useless, in my opinion.

My advice... go out there and learn. If you are interested in it, study every religion and faith you can get your hands on. Take from them what you believe to be true. Every religion and faith has a bit of truth in it, hidden underneath the propaganda that the human race has created over thousands of years.

You will find your way.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 75,733, Reputation: 7219

#6

Feb 14, 2006, 05:06 PM

Well sorry to ring the moral bell here but it really does not matter if you believe in heaven or hell, they exist, if you don't believe, it is still there.

In general it is not religion that saves you, often your religion will get in your way. For a person to find their faith they need to study and this I will agree not merely accept what others say.

And next of course you will disagree with many things in religion, if it merely told you what you wanted to hear, then you are merely creating a religion to please yourself. There are plenty of those out there if you want one of them. They do you little good, but they can make you feel good about yourself, no matter how you wish to live.

Religion sets rules and standards, that we of course may not always want to live by. In that it sets clear standards of morals and gives proper methods of living and interacting with others.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 47,095, Reputation: 10293
    Senior Family & People Expert

#7

Feb 14, 2006, 05:16 PM

As you go through your journey through life always remember to be a good human being! Be true to the God that you understand and keep your mind open to what he reveals to you,no man can tell you what to believe,but it is very important that you do believe!
    CaptainForest's Avatar

#8

Feb 14, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well sorry to ring the moral bell here but it really does not matter if you believe in heaven or hell, they exist, if you don't beleive, it is still there.
    That statement is so flawed Fr Chuck. From that statement, you are saying that the Jewish religion has gotten it all wrong. Jews donít believe in hell.

And you made my point. Organized religions do differ from Christians to Jews to Islam to etc. No one knows which one is really right. Although there will be some people who believe that their way is the right way.
    DrJ's Avatar
    DrJ Posts: 1,311, Reputation: 339

#9

Feb 14, 2006, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    That statement is so flawed Fr Chuck.
    I think where many of us will butt heads is in defining the undefinable. First, we have to understand what Heaven and Hell are. Im sure all of us will have a different idea of this.

I actually agree with Chuck here. I feel that no matter what, Heaven and Hell still exist... However, I am 99% positive that Chuck will not agree with my belief in what Heaven is and what Hell is.

We have to understand that the Bible was written thousands of years ago and has been translated through different languages. Imagine what has happened to the literal meaning of things therein. In a language that only consisted of what? 13 letters? How could a man describe such things? These things were then translated into other languages with other mens interpritations. How did they know what words to use to describe such a thing?

What's the Hebrew word for Internet? Hmmm... I'll bet there isn't one. But if, by some way, Peter had a revelation of the Internet, and tried to describe it in the Bible, we would have NO IDEA that he was actually talking about THE INTERNET!
    jduke44's Avatar
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

#10

Feb 14, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Animeluver06, this thread is going to confuse you even more. While it is interesting to hear the different views, you being so young, really need to search what or who you want to believe in. I agree with maybe one point to every post that came up:

There are how many religions out there? They canít all be right.
    This is true, I believe is can only be one absolute.

Don't beat yourself up over it
    Be true to the God that you understand and keep your mind open to what he reveals to you,no man can tell you what to believe,but it is very important that you do believe!
    If you worry too much about it you'll drive yourself crazy. Keep in mind that there must be a God out there. He will reveal Himself to you. Just be willing to listen.

Whatever religion or lack of religion you decide upon, don't let anyone rush you or tell you what is best.
    You need to search this out yourself.

Sometimes people focus so much on what there religion's traditions are they miss what the real message is.

Sorry guys for cutting a pasting your quotes but I needed to to make my point. Hopefully this doesn't confuse him even more.

Bottom line, search it out and study it to find it. It is definitely worth it.

Discussing religion [ 24 Answers ]

Why does a seemingly innocent conversation about religious beliefs so often turn into an argument or fight, and sometimes even deteriorate into name-calling, postering, etc? Most religions follow some version of the Golden Rule, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Why then is it so...

Religion [ 9 Answers ]

Well, I was not raised in church, My in-laws quilted me into it when I was about 21. I believed every thing I heard for years, I tried to "prove" it. I felt like I had to see evidence of the spirit. I rasied two kids in church until they were old even to make up their own mind. THEN I started...

Religion [ 1 Answers ]

What is the official teaching of the catholic church regarding people of other faiths ability to get into heven

New religion [ 2 Answers ]

What steps are required to officially register a new religion in the United Kingdom, and with whom do you register?