Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neuro0811 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2013, 05:51 AM
    I slept with someone while on a break, what to do?
    Me and my boyfriend have been dating for 3 years, and it was very serious. We were talking about marriage. The only twist is that he's Jewish and I'm not, and wants me to convert. We decided to take a break from each other to figure out what we want. We were split up for about a month, and during that time I started talking to another guy. When me and my boyfriend reconnected, I told him I wasn't sure what I wanted and that I needed a bit more time. That night, I slept with this guy. It wasn't exactly something I had planned, but at the time it felt right. I really do love my boyfriend, and I have been losing sleep over this. Should I tell him, or not? Technically, we're not together right now, but I want to do what's best for both of us.
    backpack2389 Posts: 255, Reputation: 83

Feb 14, 2013, 06:27 AM
    You were with him for three years, but as soon as you had a short break, you slept with someone else. Just from the tone of your post, it seems that you feel you did something wrong and I would agree.

Based on your behavior, I don't think you have any idea what you really want. You are just being drawn to your ex because you are unsure how to feel about what you did and if you return to him, you'll feel like everything is right again. However, if you sincerely desire to be with your ex, then you need to tell him what happened and let him decide what he wants to do.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2013, 06:31 AM
    I think you like your ex, or whatever you want to call him, because he is comfortable. There is a "natural" feeling of home you get from him, which is understandable since you've dated him for three years.

So you slept with someone else, who cares? I don't see it as a big deal since you were not together. I do think that taking a "break" is really a step towards all out break up. Whether you two see that or not, I don't know. I would be cautious to rush back into your ex's arms just because there is familiarity there. I don't think you are all that ready to settle down and get married. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with not knowing what you want. There would be something wrong with lying to yourself about that.

You owe it to yourself to be honest about things, and to him as well. Reflect on where you are at, not just from a standpoint of wanting to feel ordinary or comfortable, but from a standpoint of where you want to go long term.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2013, 06:40 AM
    Hello N:

So, you told him you weren't sure, and now you want to TELL him that on THAT very night you slept with somebody else...

If I was your boyfriend, FIRST off, I'd feel HUMILIATED, and then pissed off.. You and me would be DONE! We might be DONE anyway.

excon
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2013, 06:48 AM
    You love your boyfriend and slept with someone else? Any good relationship needs respect, honesty, caring, and a willingness to talk about anything. You have failed the first 3!
    I think you should move on, because you really don't know what's best for you, much less what's best for your boyfriend. You can cause him a lot of problems later on, with your idea of sleeping with anyone you choose!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 06:51 AM
    You could not really love the boyfriend, after three years, in less than a month, you sleep with someone else.

First you wait and make sure you are not pregnant, no birth control is 100 percent.

But he needs to know. Most likely it is over, but he needs to know
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 15, 2013, 07:09 AM
    Stay single until you figure yourself out. You weren't willing to convert for him, anyway. Not much of a future if he wants something that you aren't willing to give.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend slept with another guy while we were on a 'break" [ 4 Answers ]

I'll make this as short as I can. I have been with my girlfriend for 5 years. I am two years older than her and went all through college dating her (she goes to a different college). This year, she is a Junior. Halfway through her semester this year, she got in a ton of trouble at her school and...

We were on a break, girlfriend slept with someone else [ 20 Answers ]

The post is quite long. Please read it all as I am in dire need of advice. Thank you. To give some background on the relationship, we dated in high school, then met again in college when we were 21 (we're 24 now, 3 year relationship). Immediately fell in love and grew a wonderful relationship....

My girlfriend slept with someone else in a week break [ 16 Answers ]

Around Christmas time last year my relationship with my girlfriend of 3 and a half years started to seem under strain. We had always been very close and spent practically all of our spare time together. She has always been quite a shy person, finding social situations & making new friends a bit...

My boyfriend slept with a stranger while we were on a break [ 13 Answers ]

I've been going out with my boyfriend for over a year now until he went on holiday with his mates, we ended up having a argument over the phone while he was out on holiday, he got angry because I went to a party and stayed the night at a mates house who was a boy but nothing happened. He said some...

View more questions Search