Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meekdocile2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
    probability problem
    ashlea is planning on having 8 children. Determine the probability that all of her children will be girls. If her first 7 children are girls and she is expecting another child, what is the probability that her eighth child will be a girl?
    gmaof04 Posts: 33, Reputation: 3

Aug 15, 2012, 04:05 PM
    If it is the same sperm donor, I would say the chances are high, that it will be a female. Simple odds...
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
    I don't see how being the same sperm donor will make the odds in favor of another female...
    Kahani Punjab Posts: 510, Reputation: 203

Aug 16, 2012, 01:52 AM
    MeekDocile2006,

Welcome to this wonderfully beautiful site, first!

The probability that all will be girls i.e. GGGGGGGG is 1/ = 1/256
    If her first 7 children are girls, then -
    The probablitiy that her eighth child will be a girl is 1/2
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekdocile2006 View Post
    ashlea is planning on having 8 children. Determine the probability that all of her children will be girls. If her first 7 children are girls and she is expecting another child, what is the probability that her eighth child will be a girl?

We don't do homework - if you post your answer someone will come along to correct it.

You don't learn anything if we do the work for you.
    Meekdocile2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2012, 12:08 PM
    Thank You so much!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Meekdocile2006 View Post
    Thank You so much!
    Did you understand why you need to calculate ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability Problem [ 8 Answers ]

Been stuck on a problem with probability. Question goes as follows: Three balls are drawn at random without replacement from a box containing 8 white, 4 black and 4 red balls. Calculate the probabilities that there will be: i) at least one white ball ii) two white balls and once black ball...

Probability Problem [ 0 Answers ]

I have the following problem that I am stuck on: A piece of string is cut in two at a point selected at random. Find the probability that the longer piece is at least x times longer than the shorter piece (x is greater than or equal to 1)

probability word problem [ 1 Answers ]

urn 1 contains 3 red balls and 3 black balls. Urn 2 contains 2 red balls and 2 black balls. Urn 3 contains 3 red balls and 3 black balls. If an urn is selected at random and a ball is drawn, find the probability that it will be red p(red)=

Probability problem? [ 3 Answers ]

In a bag there are 13 red candies, 13 green candies 13 yellow candies and 13 blue candies. If I pick 1 candy from the bag what is the probability that it will not be blue?

Aircraft probability problem [ 1 Answers ]

hello, I am doing this probability and got stuck with it. I am not sure where to start with, so if you think there is a way, please help me Do I need a combination here? A four-engined aircraft can fly safely on two engines; a three-engined aircraft can fly safely on one. On a particular...

View more questions Search