Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    super32 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2012, 05:56 AM
    Boyfriends mum told me things should I tell him
    My boyfriend has been honest about a lot of things like ex's, issues in past etc but when I was talking with his mum the other day she was dragging his past girlfriends up and trying to put me off him. She also said that she thought that he'd used drugs before.. I know a lot but should I tell him what she is saying behind his back? She told me not to tell him as they have had fall outs before, he has told me before she is controlling and I'm not sure who I should be listening to!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by super32 View Post
    My boyfriend has been honest about a lot of things like ex's, issues in past etc but when I was talking with his mum the other day she was dragging his past girlfriends up and trying to put me off him. She also said that she thought that he'd used drugs before.. I know a lot but should I tell him what she is saying behind his back?? She told me not to tell him as they have had fall outs before, he has told me before she is controlling and I'm not sure who I should be listening to!!!

I wouldn't carry tales back and forth. I'd either listen and be respectful or respectfully say I'd like to find out for myself (depending on your age). I went through this with the daughter of someone I was dating - she wouldn't say a civil word about her father behind his back.

To his face she was loving and smiling.

I finally told her I didn't want to hear it. Of course, then she turned on me and filled his head with nonsense.

No easy answer.
    maddy6 Posts: 108, Reputation: 12

Jul 31, 2012, 06:09 AM
    It sounds like your boyfriend is correct about his mother being controlling. It also sounds like he is respectful enough of her to leave it at that. I would distance yourself from these conversations with her. She sounds like she is attempting to dramatize his past to gain your attention and become involved in your relationship with your boyfriend. Only listen to him and turn a deaf ear to her. Let her know you have an open and honest relationship with him. She is trying to drive a wedge between you because she is controlling as your boyfriend already told you. Show her respect, BUT under no circumstances confide in her, or say a single negative thing about your boyfriend. Keep you mouth SHUT. The minute you do otherwise, she perhaps will then run to him with tales about you. Give this controlling woman no information whatsoever so she cannot gain a toehold into your relationship with her son.

Jul 31, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy6 View Post
    It sounds like your boyfriend is correct about his mother being controlling. It also sounds like he is respectful enough of her to leave it at that. I would distance yourself from these conversations with her. She sounds like she is attempting to dramatize his past to gain your attention and become involved in your relationship with your boyfriend. Only listen to him and turn a deaf ear to her. Let her know you have an open and honest relationship with him. She is trying to drive a wedge between you because she is controlling as your boyfriend already told you. Show her respect, BUT under no circumstances confide in her, or say a single negative thing about your boyfriend. Keep you mouth SHUT. The minute you do otherwise, she perhaps will then run to him with tales about you. Give this controlling woman no information whatsoever so she cannot gain a toehold into your relationship with her son.
    Sounds about right. He has told me a lot about his past, though I do have my suspicions that he has dabbled. Should I be honest and tell him what she has said? Or leave it at that you think

Jul 31, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I wouldn't carry tales back and forth. I'd either listen and be respectful or respectfully say I'd like to find out for myself (depending on your age). I went through this with the daughter of someone I was dating - she wouldn't say a civil word about her father behind his back.

To his face she was loving and smiling.

I finally told her I didn't want to hear it. Of course, then she turned on me and filled his head with nonsense.

No easy answer.
    There isn't is there. I know if he found out that I didn't tell him then he'd think I was being disrespectful to him, but no. If other foot I don't want to
    Cause a family argument. Thank you

Jul 31, 2012, 06:31 AM
    If you feel he has been honest and are satisfied, I would leave it at that. Perhaps he has some things in his past he may not be proud of, or perhaps your relationship has not grown enough just yet for him to have further confided in you. If you value the relationship with your boyfriend and want it to work, then do not get sucked in by his mother. Besides, why would a mother be informing you of negative things about her son? Her only motive would be to cause problems, drama, and perhaps split up the relationship. Distance yourself from conversations with her. Remain utterly, completely loyal to your boyfriend when around this woman. Give her no information concerning your relationship with her son. She does not sound like a good mother to him, so why would she be a good friend to you?

Jul 31, 2012, 06:40 AM
    Also, about what you said to Super32 about being concerned that he will be upset if you do not tell him... I would exercise "caution." The meddling mother gains her toe hold in when you tell him. I would suggest to first attempt to "play dumb," and stay out of it completely. When the meddling mother discovers she cannot stir any drama with you she may stop. If keeping quiet doesn't work for whatever reason, or you are uncomfortable with that, you might confide what's going on to your boyfriend. However, make sure he understands you are taking this seriously and you would not be disloyal to him. Make sure he fully understands you are being completely honest. Because when he goes back to his meddling mother, SHE will then have her avenue in to speak to him and claim you said things about him you did not say. She will turn it on you and claim you went to her to talk about him. He will not know who to believe and after all she IS his mother. No... I strongly suggest to stand back from this and keep your mouth totally shut. This lady is attempting to manipulate you. Anyway, that is mho. But maybe I have helped you to think of the possible issues taking place?

Jul 31, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maddy6 View Post
    Also, about what you said to Super32 about being concerned that he will be upset if you do not tell him......I would exercise "caution." The meddling mother gains her toe hold in when you tell him. I would suggest to first attempt to "play dumb," and stay out of it completely. When the meddling mother discovers she cannot stir any drama with you she may stop. If keeping quiet doesn't work for whatever reason, or you are uncomfortable with that, you might confide what's going on to your boyfriend. However, make sure he understands you are taking this seriously and you would not be disloyal to him. Make sure he fully understands you are being completely honest. Because when he goes back to his meddling mother, SHE will then have her avenue in to speak to him and claim you said things about him you did not say. She will turn it on you and claim you went to her to talk about him. He will not know who to believe and after all she IS his mother. No.......I strongly suggest to stand back from this and keep your mouth totally shut. This lady is attempting to manipulate you. Anyway, that is mho. But maybe I have helped you to think of the possible issues taking place?

Yes you have thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by super32 View Post
    There isn't is there. I know if he found out that I didn't tell him then he'd think I was being disrespectful to him, but no. If other foot I dont want to
    Cause a family argument. Thank you

If you know he would consider you to be disrespectful if you don't tell him what his mother said, then you have no choice.

Either disrespect him or don't.

She denies it - he gets to pick between you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriends mum died and he is pushing me away and always angry at me... [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is normal for him to push me away as I have read other posts on it but I need to know what else to expect? I love him so much and he keeps telling me he doesn't know how he feels and that I cause him more pain, I'm trying to be there for him but its like he doesn't want me...

My mum has been told that she has to attend a meeting on her own ! [ 0 Answers ]

My mum is going to attend a meeting regarding the lasting power of attorney she put it into their name last year but now wants to change to her daughters name . Does she have to go into the meeting on her own?

Boyfriends dad told him he should be with my best friend what do I do? [ 12 Answers ]

Let's start with that I haven't been official with this guy for long but we did date for a month or so before he asked me to be his girlfriend. My best friend set us up and now they are best friends and spend more time then I do with him. He always talks about her and how they are best friends and...

They told her things that I never said [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm 15 I don't know what to say, Well anyway, I met a girl 2 months ago and I really loved her and we were just friends . The problem now is that some guys in my class saw me talking to her and after that they told everyone that she's my girlfriend (I never said she was ffs), well the real...

View more questions Search