Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stormy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2007, 01:11 AM
    How can I communicate with a jealous insecure man
    How can I communicate with my boyfriend, he's jealous and insecure and wants me to be around him all the time. Rarely do I spend time with family or friends and when I do he wants to know every detail , but when he ask his hyper ming has already imagined that I have done something sneaky and starts accusing me of lying. Its gotten to the point that when I let him know ill be spending time with my girlfriends or some other outing he wants me to call and update him on activities and what time will I be home!:( I love him, but he's too controlling. Is our relationship hopeless?
    moomin007 Posts: 158, Reputation: 33

Feb 27, 2007, 01:36 AM
    I can only speak from my experience. Others will probably disagree.

I had a fiancé like that once, he always wanted to know where I had been, who I had seen, what I talked about. It seemed quite reasonable at first, I was flattered that someone was that interested in me and cared enough to ask about my days.

He became more demanding of my time, so I stopped going out as often. I only called my friends when he was not around. When I moved I with him things got worse. He started telling me what time to be home (so he wouldn't worry), what clothes to wear (its easier for him to look at what looks good on me), not to go to my family (he had things already in place to do)

I couldn't see what was happening as it seemed perfectly normal. He loved me (he told me many times) and he wanted to protect me (it was his job as my fiance).

I became more & more isolated. More & more dependent of him for things.

Eventually I couldn't do things right (we've always done it this way), I was being selfish ( didn't I love him & want to spend time with him?), its my fault that he's cross & has shouted ( its only because he cares)

Things got worse & worse until one day the shout became a push, the push became a hair pull, the hairpull became a hit, then a strangulation.

I had one real friend left by this point (the other had given up trying to get through my fiance). When he was out one night (it was OK for him to go out), she came round, I threw what I could into a bag a left.

It was the best thing I did.

I don't want to scare you. Your boyfriend may not be anything like this. I hope he's not.

Just be careful. Put yourself first. Relationships are about give & take, sharing the load.

I wish you well

Moomin
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stormy1
    Is our relationship hopeless?
    Yes it is because this isn't a relationship. This is emotional slavery.

A relationship is two people bringing ideas, moments, and common ground together. What your doing is living under the always watchful eye of someone who doesn't trust you or care about himself enough to develop trust.
    zephyrus888 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Hello Stormy1,
    This is not a good relationship where both of you should respect each other.
    He did not want you to be with your family or friends as this is a way for him to get you under his control. But if one day he dare using his hands (starting to be violent), please leave him. Even though you love him.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Unless he becomes willing to work on his issues, this situation will get worse for you. You cannot be happy under these circumstances, and you can't change how he acts only he can. You don't need this crap and maybe removing yourself from this situation will make him seek help. If not at least you won't be there to be miserable with this sicko.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Stormy1, this is worth reading again. What you are experiencing is abuse, and it can only escillate.

Quote Originally Posted by moomin007
    I can only speak from my experience. Others will probably disagree.

I had a fiance like that once, he always wanted to know where I had been, who I had seen, what I talked about. It seemed quite reasonable at first, I was flattered that someone was that interested in me and cared enough to ask about my days.

He became more demanding of my time, so I stopped going out as often. I only called my friends when he was not around. When I moved I with him things got worse. He started telling me what time to be home (so he wouldnt worry), what clothes to wear (its easier for him to look at what looks good on me), not to go to my family (he had things already in place to do)

I couldnt see what was happening as it seemed perfectly normal. He loved me (he told me many times) and he wanted to protect me (it was his job as my fiance).

I became more & more isolated. More & more dependant of him for things.

Eventually I couldn't do things right (we've always done it this way), I was being selfish ( didn't I love him & want to spend time with him?), its my fault that he's cross & has shouted ( its only because he cares)

Things got worse & worse til one day the shout became a push, the push became a hair pull, the hairpull became a hit, then a strangulation.

I had one real friend left by this point (the other had given up trying to get through my fiance). when he was out one night (it was ok for him to go out), she came round, I threw what I could into a bag a left.

It was the best thing I did.

I don't want to scare you. Your boyfriend may not be anything like this. I hope he's not.

Just be careful. Put yourself first. Relationships are about give & take, sharing the load.

I wish you well

moomin
    Nohitter410 Posts: 187, Reputation: 50

Feb 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
    You need to sit down and let him know that you are happy that is wants to know where you are all the time but at some point you need to go out with your friends and family and that if he can't trust you or continues to be this jealous he is going to drive you more and more away. He needs to know that the way he is acting sooner rather than later will cause an end to this relationship if it continues.

One he knows his destructive ways are causing a wedge in your relationship maybe he will adjust. You can either do that or let him just push you away until you basically have to run out the door and get a restraining order on him to be free. Your call but something needs to be done and NOW!!
    Cb1 Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Feb 27, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Stormy 1, I like your name. You cannot help an insecure man. There is no record in history that an insecure man became secure by the help of someone.

No one can help them they need to find out BY THEMSELVES WHAT IS REALLY WRONG WITH them.

99.9999% of relationships with an insecure person ends up like Moomin007's.

Do not wait to get the first black eye, the first shove, the first strangelation before you decide you want to leave.

The one I dated started with verbal abuse, then to emotional abuse, everything was my fault, every pain he inflicted on me was because he cares, then it became a shove, then clothes tearing off my back and then strangelation. I was dumb enough to have even stayed till this stage.

I ran away, changed my address, my phone number and my email address.

The freedom I enjoyed after I left tasted so good.

I was still emotionally attached to him when I left but my life, my sanity and my selfworth was worth more than being with him.

I finally got him out of system and I am alive and happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

He says I'm Jealous and Insecure [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 2 1/2 years and it seems like we are still single. We have separate bank accounts, credit cards and cell phone accounts. I found out for the second time that he has been calling lady friends (of which I do not know) and using up to 5000 minutes per month on...

Jealous/Insecure Husband [ 18 Answers ]

My husband of almost 13 years for some reason is accusing me of having an affair. Well not totally accusing me what he tells me is that he can't "accuse" me until he gets proof but he definitely confronts me regularly about it. When I get ready for work he tells me "oh he likes that perfume?" or...

How should I deal with my jealous,insecure hubby? [ 10 Answers ]

I have been with my husband almost 7 years now. We have one son who is 3. The problem is my husband is very, very moody, jealous, insecure and disrespectful. Probably wondering why I even bother to try and save our relationship. Well, all I can say is it is not bad all the time and he really...

My girlfreind has many man "friends", am I being jealous or controlling? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Everyone; I REALLY hope to get some responses to help me with this, and I respect all that reply... ty My girlfriend and I are very much in love, at least I hope we both are. I am a guy that is very family orientated, and care very much about my partners feelings, and happiness. My...

Dating married man... He's jealous [ 22 Answers ]

I've been seeing a marreid man for 7 months but he yday asked me if I'd been seeing an acquaintance of his. How dare he? I told him he's taking his juealousy to the utmost level of wrong. He swears he's not jealous. Do they all seem to be possessive, controlling, & in denial of their jealousy?

View more questions Search