Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K10602 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 07:13 PM
    Grandparent trying to adopt grandchild
    Grandmother has custody of granddaughter, 7 yrs old, (court order) in FLORIDA

Mother- has been investigated by CPI and DCFS - failed every drug test - has mental issues (Bi Polar) and when she could not get the child she left the state 7 months ago - NO CONTACT of any kind since that time -

Father - No contact with child from 2yrs - 6yrs then occasional - failed drug test when tested by DCFS - and in the last 7 months saw child 3 times - Never paid child support -

During the court date for Temp custody - father told judge child needed to be with the grandmother - and judge told father to get child support papers in and child support established -within 10 days of the court order - He never did it

Grandmother wants to now adopt so this child has a stable home - child is currently being treated for PTSD due to all the things that happened while with the mother

Trying to adopt on the grounds of abandonment - since both are able to support the child and don't and have no meaningful contact with the child -

Do you think the judge will allow the adoption - or will they give the parents a chance to "get their life together"

Thanks for your input
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
    No telling. The judge is charged with ruling in the best interests of the child. And it would appear to me that the adoption is in the best interests of the child. But judges also like to keep families together.

Apr 5, 2012, 07:39 PM
    Yes that is what is so frustrating about family law - we will have the DCFS worker and the cops that intervened a couple of times - hoping that will help -
    This little one has been through more than any child 7yrs old should have gone through and she is finally starting to work through some of the issues she has - it would be a shame to see all that go down the drain -
    Court is on the 18th - guess we will know for sure then -
    Just wanted to get some input -
    Thank you

Apr 5, 2012, 07:44 PM
    Good luck and keep us posted

Apr 22, 2012, 05:26 PM
    OK well here it is

1) Father - judge upheld his CONCENT TO ADOPT and dismissed his MOTION TO RESCIND -
    2) Mother was given one week to submit a case plan ( mothers attorney and Grandmothers attorney were to get together to submit plan) and then he would make a ruling
    3) current temp guardianship stays in place - no contact with mother

Guess after the case plan has been submitted then the judge will give us more direction on what he will allow -and what he will have mother do going forward -

Will update as things move along
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 22, 2012, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by K10602 View Post
    ok well here it is

1) Father - judge upheld his CONCENT TO ADOPT and dismissed his MOTION TO RESCIND -
    2) Mother was given one week to submit a case plan ( mothers attorney and Grandmothers attorney were to get together to submit plan) and then he would make a ruling
    3) current temp guardianship stays in place - no contact with mother

Guess after the case plan has been submitted then the judge will give us more direction on what he will allow -and what he will have mother do going forward -

will update as things move along
    Looks good for grandmother, I would say.

Appears that the judge wants to bend over backward giving the mother every chance, so she can't have any chance at an appeal.

Apr 22, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Looks good for grandmother, I would say.

Appears that the judge wants to bend over backward giving the mother every chance, so she can't have any chance at an appeal.
    Yes I think he is trying to cover the bases - and he seems like a one and done kindda judge - he really let the mom have it - and so we will see what happens -
    Ela2219 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 07:00 PM
    Basically what I was going to say was already said! Lol! Good luck! I was adopted by my grandparents a couple montha ago... I am 14... I am so happy and I sure they will too!

Aug 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Just wanted to update -

Judge signed adoption papers for grandmother to adopt on May 31st

Mother was granted supervised visitation once a week - (and has only called 3 times)

It was a very emotional journey - but the child is happy and safe and thriving - so I guess everything was worth it...

Thanks to all who offer their input.

Aug 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
    Thanks for updating us

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How Do You Equalize Being Grandparent and Step-Grandparent [ 4 Answers ]

We have a son that was divorced about 5 years ago, he gave us two precious granddaughters. He met a woman a few years ago and married her, she has two children by her first husband. Here is our problem. We have always been close to our granddaughters and have enjoyed them since they were born. ...

Grandmother want to adopt grandchild [ 2 Answers ]

Ok I live in Maryland and wanted to know if there is anyway for my mother to adopt my little brothers unborn baby. He doesn't want the child and he doesn't want to sign the rights over either. Is there anything that my mom can do to adopt the child herself?

How can a grandmother adopt her grandchild. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother who is having a hard time getting on my feet me and my baby girl who I love dearly have been hopping from home to home and I am tired of putting my baby through all this.I lost my place due to beening in a bad neighborhood it got shot in so I moved to Florida with a family...

I want to adopt my grandchild [ 1 Answers ]

My granddaughter has lived with us since she was born 12 years ago. Her mother, has asked that we adopt her. How hard will this be to do? My daughter has sole legal custody of our grand daughter and the father has not seen her for four years.

View more questions Search