Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hipscycle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
    4 gang box?
    Installing 4 switch box using old wiring as a power source 1 black 1red and 1 white wire with no ground. I know I need to pigtail off hot to each switch. Which is hot red or black and what do I do with the one I'm not pigtailing from?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 26, 2012, 04:46 AM
    Well, two things.
    Red or black are potentially hot. Only you can tell this. Maybe one, maybe both. Maybe neither. Depends on where the cable originates.

Second, and more importantly, You CANNOT use this cable to feed new loads. You MUST have a ground for new circuits and loads. You cannot use an old feed with no ground.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Stan, If this is existing, can he reidentify the red as a ground with green tape?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring a four gang box [ 6 Answers ]

Bathroom fan/light replace & wall removed in bathroom remodeling project. Using 12/3 for bathroom fan / light, 12/2 for shower light, 12/2 for outlet. All wires feed to four gang box being feed by 12/2 wire on 20 amp service lead. Question is connecting black to switches. My understanding is to...

Can two circuits share the same gang box [ 2 Answers ]

Is it code for a 220v switch and a 110v outlet to share the same gang box? They are two different circuits going to the same outdoor gang box?

3 Gang Box.not a clue [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all... New York City here. I have to use BX... code. I have 2-wire( there is no ground in BX by the way in 2-wire) ran from the breaker. It is for my bathroom. The house was built in 1938 or 1939. The entire top floor (2 bedrooms and 1 bath) is all run on ONE breaker!! That is how...

3 Gang Box, 3 separate circuits [ 9 Answers ]

I have a three gange box with 3 separate 12/2 runs to the panel. There are 3 corresponding 12/2 feeds to the lights. My question is, since there are 3 separate circuits, do I need to tie all the grounds together, or only the two that make up that particular light circuit? I would assume...

5 gang switch box [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 5 gang metal switch box with 5 switches. I want to eliminate one of the switches so I have only 4 switches. I don't want to use a blank to fill the hole with no switch. I want to use a switch plate for 4 switches. Can I cover the hole with a metal plate and mud over it so it looks like a 4...

View more questions Search