Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LostInTheCntry Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2011, 05:32 AM
    Divorce and the housewife
    My husband has been asking for divorce. He tells me I need to find a good lawyer. We have been married for almost 8 years, when I became ill (about 6 years ago) he told me to quit my job and he would take care of me. I had always supported myself and had not been without a job for 20 years and I never expected for anyone to support me, well he told me I should get used to it. Okay now that he's come up with this notion that I've been cheating (which I have not, I am faithful) and he wants divorce. I do not have any money to speak of, I spent all my savings on the house and what ever broke that needed fixing till it was all gone (nearly $10,000 is what I had). What am I to do? I can't afford a lawyer, I've tried legal aide and they tell me that we are still living together in the same house (seperate bedrooms and I have no where else to go) the he makes too much money for me to get help? What's the deal here? I sure could use some good input...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 5, 2011, 05:39 AM
    It would have been better to keep this with the other question about cheating, regardless of category.
    What state are you in? What happened to the statement that he always gets all nice after wanting a divorce?

Oct 5, 2011, 09:51 AM
    Thank you for your input. VA. Well it may take a few days for his head to clear, but as soon as he gets his gut full of liquor you can forget it. No matter what I say I'm lying. And that's become a daily tihing now.

Oct 5, 2011, 09:54 AM
    Besides this is a totally different question. I keep giving him chances, but I don't think the next time it will be that way.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
    You can't afford NOT to get an Attorney. Call your local Bar Association, ask for a referral. If your husband has all the money or controls the money HE may very well be ordered to pay your legal fees. It happens all the time.

Legal Aid is (obviously) NOT the answer. Quite frankly, I don't care for Legal Aid in my area when it comes to family court (including matrimonial actions). A private Attorney is the answer.

Whether he did or didn't promise to support you forever the Court will divide the property and award spousal support according to State law.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 5, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    ... If your husband has all the money or controls the money HE may very well be ordered to pay your legal fees. It happens all the time. ...
    Yes. So, putting it another way, don't assume that you can't find a lawyer because you have no money. Contact all the lawyers you can find until one agrees to wait on getting paid until the court orders your husband to pay the attorney fees.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80's movie... housewife goes into shock [ 0 Answers ]

This is a long shot but here it goes... What is the 80's movie or may early 90's where there is a perfect housewife... no kids... but you can tell she loves her husband. Things appear happy. Husband goes to work. Woman begins to clean house and somehow finds out husband is cheating. She goes into...

1970's thriller about sentient home with feelings for the housewife. [ 1 Answers ]

This was a movie about a house with a security system that enslaves the female home owner. This mid-70's flick about a home that falls in love with the woman and eventually impregnates her was a film I saw when I was about 7 and would really like to know the name of. Any help would be greatly...

Full time student with Full time housewife [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Hope someone can help. I am going to professional school. My wife and I have three children and are living completely off student loans. We had no income in 2006 that had a W2 attached to it. That is, the only income we made was off eBay and odd end jobs throughout the year. Do I need...

View more questions Search