Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bsambrano Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Girlfreind wants a break
    My girlfriend (28)and I (28) had been dating for about 1 1/2 years when she mentioned taking a break(this was 6 months ago). My instant reaction was that there was somebody else or that she wanted to be w/somebody else. When I told her that if we took a break that it would be over and I would move on she changed her mind (with some manipulation from me) and said that she thought we should try and work things out. To give you a quick summary of her history 3 years ago her brother 27 killed himself, her first boyfriend/high school sweetheart of 6 years got murdered (they had been broken up for a few years)& her mom died of cancer two years ago. Well I basically came into the picture 5 months after her mother passed away and it seemed that we connected and fell in love. Well then 6 months ago out of the blue she comes out and says that she wants to take a break... I did not like this idea so I manipulated the situation and we stayed together. She had mentioned the idea from time to time and said that she just need to reflect and maybe needed some contrast(dating other guys) to make sure that she wanted to be committed to me. Every time we dit take a break it lasted for a few days then somebody would break down and call and we would be back together. Most recently I went on a work trip to South America for 5 weeks and asked her if this would be a good time to take a break and not talk... She said no. During this time when I was gone(the last 3 weeks of my triP) she had a 3 week work trip to New York well after telling me how much she missed and loved me the last week of my trip and her trip she tells me that she thinks we should date other people. Well it turns out that she went out with some guy in New York and she swears nothing happened but she says he made her feel alive and that there was a spark there we no longer have. Well after her telling me that we don't have that connection she once felt before and that she is unsure if she loves me... she says that she just needs a little bit of time not to date others but to just be alone and figure things out. Should I give her the space she wants and tell her I will be waiting for her decision or should I tell her that I don't desire to be with her anymore. Lets see what you guys have to say ;)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Definitely give her the space she wants. Take the time to work on yourself and do the things that you enjoy and interest you. Meet and date other people. You might decide that she really isn't that great after all and find yourself happy to be done with her. I won't go so far as to tell you what you should do as you have to make your own decision. However, this woman sounds very ambivalent and doesn't really sound like viable relationship material as she seems much too wishy-washy. That said, I definitely feel that a "break" is a good idea and could be very beneficial to you. Make the decision to stay away for a while and have no contact with her and pursue your own agenda. Keep the ball in your court. Contact her again if and when you decide you're ready. See her when it's convenient for you and don't let her give you the runaround.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Break up [ 5 Answers ]

Me and this guy were both in a relationship but I was crazy about him for months - his girlfriend is completely ignoring him as it seems.. but he was in love with her.. anyway I never showed my feelings I just kept it all in.. But then this one day he made a move on me and kissed me! And then he...

Help with break up [ 7 Answers ]

I had been with my boyfriend for about a year. We first met at work and were both instantly attracted to each other. At first we just casually flirted, then started hanging out outside of work. It wasn’t very long before the relationship became physical. Once we had begun sleeping together things...

A break [ 55 Answers ]

My girlfriend of a year and a month and I broke up Thursday. We decided to take a break from seeing and talking to each other, starting Thursday night. Friday she was in my room after class, saying she couldn't do it and that she needs me in her life. We went and talked and both of us still have...

View more questions Search