Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammie71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 11:47 AM
    Boyfriend pushed me in anger, should I leave?
    I've been with my boyfriend for 11 months. He has always been very affectionate, cares about my feelings, very loving. We got into an argument over a touchy subject that we have periodically fought over for the past few months. I know he is frustrated beyond belief with me. The argument quickly flared up, and as I was sitting on the bed in front of the wall and he was standing in front of me. Very quickly, before I even knew what was happening, he pushed me on the shoulder hard enough that I whacked my head pretty hard on the wall behind me. I was totally shocked and never suspected anything like this from him. He's has always been so sweet and caring. He instantly felt bad about it, and I was very upset and crying, I was just so stunned. Now, I don't know if I should stay with him or break it off. Was hoping to get some opinions. Thank you.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 11:56 AM

Eleven months isn't all that long a time to get to know someone.

What he did is totally unacceptable;violence never is.

My opinion-break it off and save yourself future heartache.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 12:20 PM

Simple Answer: Yes, you should leave

Simpler Answer: RUN!

Ain't no affection in the world enough to make up for a violent reaction. Don't make excuses for an absolutely stupid decision on his part.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 12:44 PM

Think about it this way what if he pushed you and you fell and cracked your head on the corner of a coffee table? Or if he pushed you near the top of the stairs. I have been in arguments with Ex's where I felt I was about to lose it you know what I did I walked out of the house I never put my hands on them. Leave now it has only been 11 months.
    thadevilsadvocate Posts: 122, Reputation: 62

May 6, 2011, 06:43 AM
    I'm not going to disagree with any of the previous posts. I do not in any way support violence. However, if this is the first time it has ever happened, perhaps you could suggest that he talk to someone about it. Perhaps there is a lot of built up anger inside of him. After all, you mentioned that this is an argument that has come about often, and you mentioned that he is extremely frustrated with you about it. Perhaps this is a very big deal that is affecting him greatly, and he has perhaps been holding his real feelings of anger about this inside of him for a long time. I feel that if he is someone that you feel strongly about, then weigh your feelings for him and see if it would be worth you making this suggestion to him, and giving him a chance to seek help, before you leave him. Again, I don't support violence in any manner, however, I think patience and handling pressure situations is a learned trade, not one we are all born with.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 6, 2011, 06:57 AM

Sammie, before I give my opinion, I was wondering if you would give your ages?

Have you ever seen him lose his temper with other people, animals or in other situations?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 6, 2011, 07:16 AM

Violence is unacceptable in dealing with any issue between partners. Things will get worse not better, unless something is done to address this pronto. This is not something to be ignored, or swept under a rug. Address it, and make no mistake, he better know it will not be tolerated, and "I am sorry" is never good enough after the fact.

Be warned that this may be how he acts when he is angry, frustrated, or just tired of talking, and it's a BIG RED FLAG to pay careful attention to.

Don't let love, affection, or, and "I will never do it again", blind you to the obvious. He may hurt, or injure you, maybe seriously, and not mean it, but you will still be hurt, and injured, right?
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2011, 10:25 AM
    I don't think that it is acceptable when a male touches a female with any strength involved unless is during sex (with consent of course). So therefore, I would agree with the posts that says to leave him, today you hit your head a little, next time it might draw blood. It is a definite red flag, him feeling bad about it means that he lost control, but how much control he is able to lose is anyone's guess.

Good Luck,
    Javi
    sammie71 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 12:38 PM
    We're both 40. Old folks. Lol
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

May 7, 2011, 12:26 AM

Again,you've only known him eleven months-sometimes it takes a while for the 'true' self to surface.

One blow is one too many.

Walk.
    pattygrown40 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2011, 07:06 PM
    Girl run like hell!! Why even ask the question. Oh this sickens me!! I don't care how old you are someone making you hit your head up against a wall OMG!! What's next an accidental gun shot to the throat and then he turns the gun on his self!! Typical and it coukd happen RUN LIKE HELL!! GET OUT!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Boyfriend pushed me in anger [ 12 Answers ]

Hello all, I am in a state of shock here so bare with me. I have been dating my boyfriend for 8 months. He has been very good to me overall, and says he has never loved anyone the way he loves me. We are together every single day. My kids and family love him and think he's great. He has said he...

My boyfriend pushed me and a month later got really aggressive towards me. [ 12 Answers ]

He pushed me of the bed really hard, and left me there crying, as he kept yelling at me and calling me nasty names. Earlier that day When I was at work he went through my old msn convos since before I even knew him. He also went through all my folders and files, and I'm left feeling like I have no...

My Boyfriend lost his job and now has pushed back from me, what should I do? [ 14 Answers ]

Hello people! My boyfriend and I met online in December, and we fell in love quickly. He is so smart, intelligent, funny, and handsome. He lives about 6 hours away but I have been willing to travel and visit. He lost his job a few months ago and it has been hell trying to find another job, which...

This Anger I have toward my boyfriend [ 195 Answers ]

All threads merged into one for the whole story There is a misconception that the One who breaks up doesn't care about the person because they are the ones who ended it, well that is so not true. My Boyfriend and I have been together for 6 months and we had our share of problems believe me....

View more questions Search