Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CalebMichael Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2010, 07:25 PM
    Relationship One Year Later
    My best friend of 8 years and I dated seriously for six months. Six months in my dad passed away and I was devastated. Over the next three weeks I became emotionally needy and my girlfriend couldn't shoulder the burden. She broke up with me because it was too much. A year has passed and since we have mutual friends I have found out that she is still single.

How do I initiate a conversation with her one year later? I don't know whether I want a dating relationship with her but I do know that I want her to be apart of my life again. I'm not opposed to dating her again but that is not my intention. I mostly don't want the distance that is currently between us to continue to exist. If I call her, what do I say?
    mystific Posts: 340, Reputation: 308

Nov 7, 2010, 07:36 PM

Keep it light and casual. Ask her how's she's been and what's she's been up too.

If she questions why, answer honestly that you wanted to catch up and see how she's been and that you miss her friendship and let it flow from there.

You'll soon find out whether she wishes to begin a new relationship with you.. whatever form.

Good luck.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 07:41 PM

I would even thank her for putting up with you as long as she did when your dad died. Tell her you've worked through a lot of the pain and missing him, and you'll always be grateful for the support she gave you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 7, 2010, 08:28 PM

I think a phone call to catch up, and let her know you were thinking of her, and miss her friendship is a good start, but talking about dating and relationships would be too much. She may have a life she is happy with, so expect nothing at this point. I am going to assume you have gotten your life together, and found your own happiness. If not, leave her out of whatever issues you are dealing with, and don't call her.

Nov 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
    I have gotten my life together. The only questions I can't answer honestly is how I will feel when I see her. Part of me is still disappointed that she never called as a friend to see how I was recovering.

Here is some background information. She is 30 and I am 33. As a friend she was always frustrated with the men she was meeting and being single at her age as all her friends are married. Our relationship started because she was willing to give it a chance. Part of me believes that she couldn't shoulder the burden because she felt that my emotional collapse set her timeline back. She didn't have time to wait for me to recover. She wanted to be in acrelationship that was progressing towards marriage. Without even inquiring I have found out that she hasn't been in a serious relationship since and is frustrated with her current dating life.

Part of me is frustrated because if we do date again or resume a friendship it's hard not to believe she's only my friend when my life is easy. Not during the hard times.
    ironhide262 Posts: 277, Reputation: 243

Nov 7, 2010, 10:39 PM
    You are kind of putting the cart before the horse here. You haven't talked to her yet so, who knows how she feels about you after a year. I think you should just shoot for becoming good friends for now... even that will not happen overnight.
    You need to essentially start from the beginning and learn to become friends again . Whether she wants to do that is up in the air.
    Just take it easy, keep things light and posative. I think that if you have truly got your life together than you don't really need her if she chooses not to be part of your life.
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2010, 06:56 AM

Just talk to her as you would any friend. Don't put her under any pressure, just move very slowly.

Nov 13, 2010, 07:12 PM
    So I called her. She was surprised I called and after I asked how she has been, she wanted to know my intentions. I told her that I was thinking about her and thought we had too much history and in common not to remain friends and be in each other's lives. She told me that she didn't want to be friends, and thinks I'm lame for even asking for a friendship. That was the end of our conversation. Did I do something wrong? Was I supposed to ask her out on a date? I couldn't figure out whether she was being rude because I asked for a friendship instead of more or because I was supposed to move on and never contact her again? I thought she would at least be friendly.
    kaka67 Posts: 261, Reputation: 200

Nov 13, 2010, 07:22 PM

Wow. What a selfish *****.

I wouldn't of contacted her myself. If she couldn't of been there for you at one of the most important times in your life then she can go jump.

Now you know where you stand.
    CarrotTalker Posts: 392, Reputation: 189

Nov 13, 2010, 08:26 PM

I went through a similar situation as you. Except I was 10 years younger.

"Over the next three weeks I became emotionally needy". That's the point of a relationship/friendship, is for those people to stand by you and help when you are going through a tough time.

Forget about this selfish girl, let he be unsatisfied with her love life. No wonder she's not satisfied, look at what she puts into the relationship.

Nov 13, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I would even thank her for putting up with you as long as she did when your dad died. Tell her you've worked through a lot of the pain and missing him, and you'll always be grateful for the support she gave you.
    I would hardly call what she did support, 3 weeks in and she was ready to jump ship?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CarrotTalker View Post
    I would hardly call what she did support, 3 weeks in and she was ready to jump ship?
    They have a long history together.

Nov 13, 2010, 09:54 PM
    Thank you all for the feedback! I am just disappointed in myself. I'm just disappointed that I was burned by someone so judgemental and selfish and all I really wanted was reassurance that I was wrong about her and that she was the same friend I knew for 8 years.

Nov 13, 2010, 10:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    They have a long history together.
    Yes, 8 year long history as friends.
    Only 6 months of a relationship.
    Only 3 weeks of being "needy."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the average length of a relationship a 23 year old girl an a 32 year old man? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the average length of a relationship a 23 year old girl an a 32 year old man?

Can A 17 Year Old Have A Relationship With A 24 Year Old In The State Of Georgia? [ 5 Answers ]

I Am A 17 Year-old girl Dating a 24 year old woman. Is It Illegal In The State Of Georgia Or Illinois For Us To Be Dating. She Lives In Georgia And I Live In Illinois Is That Illegal?

10 year relationship, 2 year marriage. And now he questions what true love is [ 2 Answers ]

Background (it's a long one, too): We are in our mid 20's and have known each other for 10 years. We dated exclusively through high school but without any commitment to marriage. That "in love" blissful feeling lasted for quite some time, well into our college years. He has always been a...

After a 4 year relationship I got tired of my relationship and broke up! What to do? [ 2 Answers ]

I’m a gay guy (36 yo) and I dated for 4 years this BI guy(40 yo), at the beginning it was a bit hard for me, I’m very comfortable with being gay! Came out 8 years ago, any way, at the beginning of the relationship I had to pretend in front of his friends that we were just friends, some times after...

Needs of a 5 year old relationship [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I just joined today after reading other questions answered in the relationship category and I appreciate the bluntness offered in this forum community. So be blunt with me! I had a conversation with my boyfriend of 5 years about my life situation being difficult at the moment. What makes my...

View more questions Search