Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jazmin676 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Ex boy wants to be friend but I still love him.
    My boyfriend of 2 years broke up with me 2 months ago. We always talked about us getting married and having kids. His parents already considered me their daughter in law. When we broke up he said that he didn't love me the way he used to anymore, but that he still wants to be friends. I stopped talking to him for a while but eventually we talked again and I agreed to being his friend so I wouldn't have to lose him completely.. The only problem is that I can't get over the fact that I'm still deeply in love with him. He recently started seeing another girl and told me that he really likes her. At the same time he told me that he still loves me (after seeing how much more free I was being around him now and how I'm pretty much a new person), but that he still thinks we should only be friends (even after we had kissed). He doesn't think that a relationship isn't meant for us right now. How can I get him to realize that we should be more than friends?
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2010, 03:28 PM

What really caused the break-up please? You mentioned that you were a "new person". What does that mean?

In addition, could we please have your ages? (It matters when we give advice.)

No matter what, don't allow yourself to be treated with such disregard, or disrespect, to be put on hold, or be held in reserve, while the love of your life tries out others for consideration. Have some self respect.

The world has more to choose from. He may not be the one.

God bless you.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazmin676 View Post
    My boyfriend of 2 years broke up with me 2 months ago. We always talked about us getting married and having kids. His parents already considered me their daughter in law. When we broke up he said that he didn't love me the way he used to anymore, but that he still wants to be friends. I stopped talking to him for a while but eventually we talked again and I agreed to being his friend so I wouldn't have to lose him completely.. The only problem is that I can't get over the fact that I'm still deeply in love with him. He recently started seeing another girl and told me that he really likes her. At the same time he told me that he still loves me (after seeing how much more free I was being around him now and how I'm pretty much a new person), but that he still thinks we should only be friends (even after we had kissed). He doesn't think that a relationship isn't meant for us right now. How can I get him to realize that we should be more than friends?

Some times these things just happen. I know, it's crap, isn't it.

I have had men that want me, but there's no chance, and vice versa. It's time to move on and except the fact that he just only wants to be friends.

Quite honestly, I don't think you guys should even be that. As I don't think you are strong enough for that.

I wouldn't kiss him any more. It only confuses the situation all the way around.

You wrote, "(after seeing how much more free I was being around him now and how I'm pretty much a new person)"

I would too like to know what this statement means?

The bottom line is that he wants to be friends, nothing more. My heart goes out to you, because I know that feeling, I've been there before, and it's a sh!tty feeling.

Best of luck.
    gaurdhero Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 05:48 PM
    I think that you shouldn't be held on pause while he goes round and sees other girls however I don't think you should put all your trust in one guy
    Jazmin676 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Comment on Enigma1999's post
    It means that I've become a lot more open with him. I was always reserved and didn't talk much about my feelings or what was on my mind but now I do.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Nov 4, 2010, 07:41 PM

Time will tell.

If you two were meant to be, then it will happen. If not, then as much as you are hurting now, this too shall pass.

For now, I would just be friends with him, as he requested.

The only thing, well one thing I should say, that doesn't sit well with me,is that he is dating another girl and is kissing you, while telling you let's just be friends.

Watch out for that. He is starting to sound greedy by getting it all the way around.

Keep your guard up and start to focus on yourself.

Keep yourself busy and start to build new friendships with people as well as hanging out with your old friends.

This too shall pass. I know that's not what you want to hear, but, in time, you will see.

Good Luck.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 11:56 AM

You will be miserable torturing yourself while he moves on and does his thing with someone else. You are also on a friends with benefits course by kissing and dredging up physical contact with a guy who has dumped you.

Look I know its very hard at this time, but unless you let yourself go through a proper healing process, things will be much worse for your feelings and emotions. Bow out gracefully and keep your dignity and self respect, by stopping as much contact with him as possible, and rebuilding a life that you enjoy, with friends, activities, and family that makes you happy.

Healing is crucial after the emotional trauma of a break up. So you can get through confusion, and make good decisions for yourself, based on FACTS and not just FEELINGS. Then you can enjoy your life and not have false hope, or depend on anyone but yourself to make you happy.

You have plenty of time to be friends with whomever you choose, after a proper healing for yourself.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Nov 5, 2010, 12:09 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to talaniman again.

You can't make him want to be anything other than friends any more than he can make you see that he only wants to be friends.
    It is obvious that you can't be just friends so you need to tell him that and have him keep his kisses to himself, keep his dating other girls to himself.
    You remove yourself from him so you can heal. Don't allow him to straddle the fence with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Still in love with my ex boy friend [ 4 Answers ]

I was in love with this guy since 2001 we did undergrad and masters together though we both are different streams of study but same college.we were so in love and by the end of masters he started showing lack of interest in getting married to me but he used to say I still love you.somethings...

I love her but she has a Boy Friend [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my name is walid I am 16 and I need help So she is my best friend and I love her but the problem is she has a boy friend and I now him I meen he is cool with me,and always when I talk to her about love she keep saying I have a boy friend,she is with him for almost 2 years now,she is mexican...

How do I get over a girl I love who has a boy friend! [ 5 Answers ]

OK I have tried everything on this and now I am trying a last resort. Speaking to people on the internet . Ill cut right to the point. I am in high school. Its my 10th grade year and I'm hopelessly in love with a girl who is in the 12th grade. I have been in love with her ever sense the beginning...

I guess I'm falling in love with a boy who used to be my best friend [ 7 Answers ]

Hey , well Um so there's this boy , he's my best friend.. but we're only friends , and I kind of find out that I'm falling in love with him :'( I don't know , should I just stop thinking about him and stay friends because I don't know if he has the same feeling :'( I'm confused

View more questions Search