Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minxs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 07:11 AM
    I can't live with mold
    In live Maryland in Anne Arundel County. I moved into my apt last Oct, during the walk through I looked into the coat closet that sits in the corner of the townhome on the exterior wall and questioned the painted over ceiling that had the look of a previous mold stain and was told the problem had been resolved with the leak in the above wall. With that said upstairs there is a box window and a ledge in the back master bedroom that's been leaking since I've moved in, its been "repaired" 4 times now. I watched this window one noon during a good rain and it's the window not around, not ouside and told the rental office this and that the entire window needed replacing, I've been ignored. With the last rain, the inside ledge is now whorped and left soft stained and the layers of paint lifting and the window to the foor is stained. This problem with the window obviously exsisted before I moved in.. My son and I have bad bad allgergies and have had many drips to the doctor for allergy related visits and I just know there is mold in the wall with the window as well as the closet. I've expressed this concern with the rental office during every call and they have never checked. Know that I now that mold is taking up as much space as I do in the place and not paying rent; do I have the right to with-hold rent until the mold is removed since I have complained numerous times and had been told it was remedied and wasn't and if not what are my options. I would like to be able to stay in that unit if the mold can be removed, its in a very ideal area in the community. Please assits
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2006, 07:24 AM
    Here is what the Maryland statutes say about the landlord's responsibility to make repairs - and what to do if he doesn't:
    http://mgasearch.state.md.us/search9...ultCount%3D10&

My guess is that you will find that he is not required to keep the place mold free, but he should be required to fix the leak.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2006, 08:44 AM
    First make sure you document everything. Copies of your complaints, pictures (still and video) of the window leaking, Copies of responses from mgmt, Doctor's notes detailing the allergy diagnosis, estimates of the cost of repairs.

After you have made a folder of all this, forward a copy to the landlord with a CC to the state housing agency. Give them x amount of time to fix the problem (no more than 30 days). Then set up an escrow account and pay your rent into that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold [ 6 Answers ]

Hello my basement is unfished... last year we decided to put up blue stryaphone isolation over concrete walls... I am worried about mold because it is in a basement of an old farm house... if mold should grow behind the 1 inch blue styraphone is there anyway to know... thank you

Mold & Condensation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently found some water along the edge of my whirlpool tub. I pulled the front facing off last night and discovered condensation along the front facing and tub itself. Mold was all over the pipes that run along the outside of the tub. This was isolated along the front section only. The concert...

Possible mold [ 1 Answers ]

We have an eight year old home with a day light basement. I have noticed some yellow spots on the bottom of the walls in two of the closets in the basement. If this is mold what can be done?

New Air Conditioning / Mold [ 1 Answers ]

In March 2005, I had a 12 year old central heat pump replaced with a brand new unit. At the same time, I replaced the main ducting from the heat pump with brand new ducting. The H&A guys said the branch ducting was fine and didn't need to be replaced so it wasn't. Over the past couple of...

Mold [ 1 Answers ]

What will mold the fastest? Unrefrigerated cheese or bread? And approximately how long will this process takes?

View more questions Search