Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mini1979 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 11:34 AM
    I live in pa and work in nj
    I am trying to ask my human res. Here at my job this question but it seems like I am getting brushed off all the time I do not want to be penalized at the end of the year I have been working in this job since march of 2006 we just switched payroll and I get direct dep. So I never bothered looking at my stubs something told me to look I realized that for 2 months they were taking taxes out for NJ not for PA where I live I know that before we switched payroll the checks showed both PA ANd NJ taxes taken out my question is what happens to the 2 months that I did not pay PA taxes because of my payrolls mistake and what is the exact taxes that are suppose to come out of my check from pA and NJ please some one help me
    dlc Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Sep 18, 2006, 04:59 PM
    The exact amount depends upon your total income picture. They have withholding tables to determine the amounts based upon your income earned at the job and the number of withholding allowances you claim on your W4.
    Ultimately it is your job to determine how many allowances to claim.
    Do you have your taxes prepared by someone or do you do them yourself?
    If you have them prepared, you could get help with your W4 and/or state withholding documents.
    You will have to pay tax on the amount you earn to NJ, but you will get a tax credit for what you pay to NJ on your PA return. If the PA rate is higher, you will owe additional to PA, but if NJ is higher, you will not owe any more to PA which means the months with no withholding will not cause a problem.
    Looking at the tables, it looks like NJ goes to a higher rate, depending upon how much you earn.
    Hope this helps.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 18, 2006, 05:10 PM
    DLC summarizes it rather well. I have nothing to add.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ - Work in PA [ 10 Answers ]

I understood that there is an agreement between NJ/PA that residents working in the other state will have tax withheld for their state of residence. My employer followed that until this year. I now have PA state tax & local city tax withheld. They also just switched my sui from PA to NJ. ...

Live in NY work in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

This is the reverse of some recent questions. I was transferred to a NJ office supposedly on a temporary basis. It was recently made permanent. Because of the temporary nature, they never changed my withholding and still haven't contacted me about doing so. So, right now, I only have NYS...

Live in NYC Work in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I was told that if you live in NYC (Brooklyn) and work in NJ you are taxed twice. I understand that you pay taxes to both states, & NY City; but overall are you taxed more than the situation if you lived and worked in NYC only based on a $30,000 salary. Also from the following situations which...

Live in NJ work in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

Thinking of moving to NJ from NYC. What would the tax implication be? Higher/Lower? Currently I'm paying NY State and NYC resident, around $300 biweekly. How will the taxes be computed once I tell my employer that I moved to NJ? Thank You.

Work in NJ live in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

I work in NJ but live in NYC. I am confused over what forms I need to fill out. I believe I have made an error in that I have filed NJ state tax using the over the phone service. Now I am told that I should have filed as a nonresident in NJ which would have gotten me all of my NJ withheld tax...

View more questions Search