Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    musikluvr9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 10:31 PM
    How to deal with my depressed boyfriend?
    I have been with this guy about 7 months now.
    We are both fifteen.
    He is really sweet,caring,romantic,funny,he's an all around great guy.
    Except,he has depression.
    He tries not to let it get to him though.
    His parents divorced quite a while ago.
    He has days where he crashes and gets where nothing can make him happy.
    Not even me.
    He cut himself once(that I know of)
    He said he didn't want to tell me because he knows how it would hurt me
    (I have several friends who are/have been suicidal,they all unburden themselves upon me)
    He told me though because he thought it was wrong to keep that secret from me.
    I reall appreciate his telling me and I want to help him.
    He hasn't done it since.
    I really care about him and I want to know what to do and how to deal with this.
    Please give me some advice...
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2006, 01:39 AM
    How about suggesting counseling?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Sep 4, 2006, 05:59 AM
    Its not yours to fix... please bear that in mind. I am a wee bit concerned about that because of how you state friends unburden themselves to you. I hope there are other friends in the mix that you can unburden yourself to as well. I am with Krs in that he needs to seek counseling. Depression is not something to trifle with and cutting can grow into an addiction. If he won't get help, you have only two choices: live with it or leave over it.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2006, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    Its not yours to fix... please bear that in mind. I am a wee bit concerned about that because of how you state friends unburden themselves to you. I hope there are other friends in the mix that you can unburden yourself to as well. I am with Krs in that he needs to seek counseling. Depression is not something to trifle with and cutting can grow into an addiction. If he won't get help, you have only two choices: live with it or leave over it.
    Exactly!!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 4, 2006, 02:59 PM
    There are many ways to give support - Sometimes just listening is big help. You might find watching a funny movie, or going out and doing some activity, at those times when he is down also helps. When you talk, you might also want to point out all the possibility and potential that exists through a person's life. Looking beyond just the current circumstance gives perspective.

As above, you might also suggest he seek a counselor - Perhaps through school, or his parents.

If you know your friend is suicidal, or is in imminent danger of hurting himself, call 911 immediately and get professional help.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 07:32 PM
    He needs to seek professional help. There are medications available to treat depression and he needs to speak with his doctor immediately. It may take some experimentation to find the proper medication and the proper dosage so time is of the essence. Encourage him to do this without further delay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I deal with my boyfriend going to a strip club? [ 28 Answers ]

Since I've been with my boyfriend, I've always had a problem with jealousy. But with past boyfriends it was never an issue. Anyway, I try my hardest to control it and have been doing good until recently. He is going to a bachelor party this Saturday and will be going to a strip club. I just can't...

How do I help depressed boyfriend [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriends just been put on anti-depressants for the first time in over relationship (7months) he's been on them before but not around me. I want to help him and I do love him, I just want to know if there anything practical I can do apart form being there for him? :confused: or if anyone knows...

Please help me very depressed! [ 11 Answers ]

Believe this it's the short version but doesn't appear that way: Adult son moved away and did not come and say goodbye to me. He has never done this to me ever. And he has moved away from here many times before. I would not lend him money this time! He is a son from my first marriage. No other...

Depressed dog [ 1 Answers ]

I have had my dog for about 2 years, he is a labrador crossed with a staff, and is usually a happy dog. Recently my little bro bought a kitten, since the kitten has been in the house, the dog seems sort of depressed. I know it sounds stupid, but when I look at his, he just looks really sad. I've...

View more questions Search