Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaveBaldwin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Sudden loss of hot water pressure, and then it comes back?
    Last weekend we lost most of the pressure on the hot water side of every faucet in the house. The pressure was low, but sufficient - now we can't even get a drip out of the upstairs shower. We had one plumber look at it, who said it was either a clogged pipe (35 year old galvanized) or a slab leak, but there is no sign of leakage anywhere. I assumed it was a clog, until tonight. The water was running in the downstairs shower. I was in the kitchen and heard a "pop" in the laundry room or vicinity thereof (where the water heater is), after which the water quit running in the shower. A moment later, it began flowing again.

Any advice would be appreciated, as the only solution I've been offered as yet is a repipe to the tune of $6,000.

Dave
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 08:27 PM

I don't know I you have city or well but keep all water of and look at pressure gage at well or water meter and see if it drops in pressure or the meter dial spins. If it does than def a leak in the line somewhere. The galv pipes will restrict water and that can fluctuate.
    The POP how high is the water heater turned up? There also my be a restriction in the hot water nipples where the line connects in the heater. Check for leaks first

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2009, 09:56 PM

35 years old galvanized plumbing it is time for repiping sooner or later you will have more problems and cost you more, Good Luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

I was using a shower, one of two in my home, and the water pressure suddenly dropped quite considerably. So much so that it made it difficult to finnish my shower. The other shower works fine and there doesn't seem to be any other water problems in the house. What could the problem be?

Sudden loss of hot water pressure [ 5 Answers ]

We have a new home (1.5 years) with gas WH. When awoke this AM no hot water pressure from any tap on main floor or lower level (cold was fine). Opened and closed most of the taps in the house on both levels but just a dribble or nothing. Then suddenly a loud "clunk" and now pressure is fine. ...

Sudden loss of water pressure - have well [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well - just moved "to the country". This morning, water pressure was VERY low throughout the house, including filtered refrigerator water, sinks, showers, etc. then eventually NO WATER comes out. Where do I begin trying to figure out the problem? What type of professional should I...

Sudden Loss of Water Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago we lost water pressure throughout the house and yard (sprinklers). Both hot and cold are affected. My house was built in 1999, copper pipes, we do have water softener (it was without salt for about 2 months), we use city water. The city checked the pressure at the street end and...

Sudden loss of water pressure [ 6 Answers ]

A couple of days ago I turned on the water at my kitchen sink and it came out with the usual force, but then about 10 seconds later it slowed down considerably. This continues to happen on both the cold and hot water, but I have not seen this happen at any of the other faucets in the house. ...

View more questions Search