Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSROZD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Withdrwaing funds from deceased account
    My Granda just recently passed on 10/21/08. She has monthly payments from her retirement and from Social Secuiry that are direct depoited into her acoount monthly. After her death I called both offices and advised then of her passing. I just checked her account and noticed that the retirement was deposited into account. I called them and advised then once again that she had passed and they told me that they run one month behind and this is her money. Now my question is I am able to withdraw this money? I am not on her account but I have her ATM card and all her accpunt info since I used to help her with all her bills.

I live in Caliornia and I was wondering if I would go to jail for touching this money or would I have to pay it back.

Any advice would be great!
    robertva Posts: 249, Reputation: 30

Nov 3, 2008, 10:10 PM

Have you checked with the local court that handles probate who she designated in her will as her executor?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 10:29 PM

Yes, this is stealing.

The person who is the administor of the estate, or a person on the account can use the money to pay bills for the estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Release funds in a frozen account [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone can help it would be great. I have a bank account that has been frozen by the courts for a judgement that was entered against me. After the judgement was entered against me I filed bankruptcy. This judgement was included in my bankruptcy. I want to get the funds out of this account the...

Leaving funds in US account [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I will be moving to the US from the UK on an H1-B visa for a job that lasts 3 years. At the end of that period, I expect to have saved a sum of money in a US bank account. My question is this: Am I allowed to keep a bank account open in the US under my name when I leave permanently and,...

Deceased account [ 11 Answers ]

Hi My parents recently passed away and I had to close there credit card from bank of america and the outstanding balance I owe since they did not have the credit card insurance. My parents also had this card connected to there overdraft protection on the checking account for which I kept but had...

Garnished bank account funds [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Texas. In 1999 I had a business that failed. One company that I owed filed a judgement. Now I have been told by my bank that my bank account funds have been garnished, from said judgement. According to Texas Law only tax levies can garnish a bank account. I have filed and signed a letter...

View more questions Search