Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellababy60 Posts: 41, Reputation: 3

May 2, 2008, 08:36 AM
    DUI Arrest
    My current b/f was arrested for his 2nd DUI in twelve years. I understand the penalties and consequences for his actions, however, because he is facing a minimum of $10K in court costs and classes, breathalizer, house arrest... etc. I am not excusing his behavior for drinking too much, but I am wondering if he has any recourse regarding liability against the establishment who continued serving him once he was clearly intoxicated. Now, please understand this - he went to a bar with his friends prior to this but was not intoxicated at that time when he entered THIS establishment - and for the record, the establishment in question is a local bar for bikers and my b/f has close connections with the bartender. They were aware of him being intoxicated but failed to take preventative measures to prevent him from leaving the establishment while intoxicated. Are there any laws protecting citizens against an establishment that over serves their patrons. Can they be held liable to some degree? I know that it is not their responsibility to baby-sit these adults... but maybe if the patron is clearly intoxicated, isn't it their responsibility to not serve them any more liquor? What if my b/f would've killed someone in the process? Would they be responsible for a wrongful death lawsuit from the victims family? I thought there was a law protecting citizens from establishments who do not regulate the consumption of alcohol on their premises? Please Please help! Thank you soooo much!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Hello bella:

You don't have to make excuses for examining the possibilities. The establishment may very well have some liability. However, their liability would extend to the damage their patron might have done to a third party. I don't think they're liable for the drinkers legal costs, however.

But, they might be. Certainly, a lawyer will discuss your case to see if you HAVE a case.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellababy60
    My current b/f was arrested for his 2nd DUI in twelve years. I understand the penalties and consequences for his actions, however, b/c he is facing a minimum of $10K in court costs and classes, breathalizer, house arrest...etc. I am not excusing his behavior for drinking too much, but I am wondering if he has any recourse regarding liability against the establishment who continued serving him once he was clearly intoxicated. Now, please understand this - he went to a bar with his friends prior to this but was not intoxicated at that time when he entered THIS establishment - and for the record, the establishment in question is a local bar for bikers and my b/f has close connections with the bartender. They were aware of him being intoxicated but failed to take preventative measures to prevent him from leaving the establishment while intoxicated. Are there any laws protecting citizens against an establishment that over serves their patrons. Can they be held liable to some degree? I know that it is not their responsibility to baby-sit these adults....but maybe if the patron is clearly intoxicated, isn't it their responsibility to not serve them any more liquor?? What if my b/f would've killed someone in the process?? Would they be responsible for a wrongful death lawsuit from the victims family?? I thought there was a law protecting citizens from establishments who do not regulate the consumption of alcohol on their premises?? Please Please help!! Thank you soooo much!!!

If he had killed or injured someone Dram Shop coverage would kick in - and, yes, there would be wrongful death actions every which way.

Speaking about accidents involving alcohol - the questions become: did the patron become intoxicated at the bar; did the patron leave the bar and drink between the bar and the accident scene; what can anyone prove? Bar owners/bartenders swear that the client was not "that intoxicated" when they left and MUST have stopped somewhere else OR had alcohol in their vehicle.

Proof comes down to what the bartender could have/should have noticed - glassy eyes, slurred speech, unsteady gait. Then you get into whether the patrons were buying by the drink or by the pitcher and whether the bartender had a responsibility to police who was actually drinking. Then you get into whether your State requires bartenders receive training to spot potential problems.

All of this assumes you can actually place your boyfriend at that particular bar - and 99% of the time when I go out on one of these cases the owner/bartender/patrons see the problem and nobody remembers anything.

In my opinion, because there was no accident due to drinking, there is no liability on the part of the owner of the bar. As you said - they are bartenders, not the Police. I see no actionable cause.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old arrest [ 4 Answers ]

I was arrested when I was 21yrs (now 37), paid bail and never heard another thing, no court date, etc. Now, I am planning to apply for a passport and am concerned this will show up and all hell will break loose. I just ran a criminal background check on myself and nothing came up?? Any...

Arrest warrants? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find out if there is an arrest warrant on me for failure to pay CS?

Arrest Warrants [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering if there is a way of getting rid of an arrest warrant with out serving time in jail, it was issued due to failure to appear in court and false name to a peace officer... can any one help?

Arrest warrant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a warant for "failure to appear on suspended license. Can I fly to another state{S.C.} without being arrested at the airport in detroit ?

When are they going to arrest her? [ 17 Answers ]

So my mother-in-law owns her own realty business and had this secretary who has embezzled two hundred thousand dollars. They received the final amount a couple of months ago. Now it's been a year since this whole investigation and DA had started all this and yet this woman is still working for a...

View more questions Search