Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odieodea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Jealous Dog
    We recently added a 9week old Airedale terrier to the family. My 4 year old beagle is having a very rough time with this transition. He’s always been very close to my boyfriend and I and we knew this would be tough for him. We did a lot of research and are trying to do everything we can to establish him as ‘alpha-dog’. He always gets praised first, greeted first, he goes out first, we try and show him so much love and special attention. The first night he nipped at the puppy and over the next few days he calmed down with his aggression. However if the puppy comes over when I am playing with him, he gets angry and growls. We give him a stern no and don’t punish him because I don’t want him to further resent the puppy. The thing that breaks my heart is that he won’t sit with us. When we are hanging out and watching with the pup he will go into our room and it looks like he’s sulking! I try to sit away from the puppy so he can just sit with me but it doesn’t seem to be working. It is breaking my heart that he is sad. Is this just something he needs to get used to? Will he be able to hang out with us again eventually?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 17, 2008, 09:30 AM
    I had a similar problem when my roommate got a puppy and my dog did not like it. It took about 2 months before they really got used to each other, now they sleep on the same bed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm so jealous! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in a great relationship and love my boyfriend but I get so jealous of him! Not to do with girls but just things in general like money, holidays, family stuff etc and its driving me crazy. I'm trying really hard not to be but something always happens that makes me jealous and then I'm...

Am I jealous [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in a relationship for a year. Over the course of time me and my girlfriend have drifted. We hang out very less. She prefers hanging out with others more than me. We rarely get some time alone. I ask her out for dinner or something many times but she always makes some excuse. And...

He is jealous of me [ 6 Answers ]

I know him for 1,5 years. Recently he asked me to be together. Although this was not what exactly I wanted I agree in order not to lose him. Now he is really jealous of me and tis is nerve-racking (we live 300km away). I love him and I know that he loves me too this situation is killing me. The...

Puppy gets jealous of attention to older dog [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 6 year old beagle and we just brought home a 10 week old weimaraner/cocker mix. Whenever we pet or play with the older dog the puppy jumps on her or us then the older dogs just tries to avoid her and hides behind something. Any suggestions?

Jealous or not [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I had a cookout for a few friends and family, one of our friends brought his live-in girlfriend with him, which neither me or my husband know very well. I made the remark to her that she looked a lot like another friend of ours that was not there, my husband said yes she does but she...

View more questions Search