Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredesen Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 06:41 PM
    When to get engaged
    :confused: i have been with my boyfriend for 4 years and evertime i bring up getting engaged he ignores the question?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Are you dating, or living together?
    ihatewestseneca Posts: 325, Reputation: 67

Mar 5, 2008, 07:21 PM
    And how old are you?

Mar 5, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ihatewestseneca
    and how old are you?
    We have lived together for 3 years 23

Mar 5, 2008, 07:28 PM
    and how old are you?
    I'm 23 he,s22
    ihatewestseneca Posts: 325, Reputation: 67

Mar 5, 2008, 09:12 PM
    In my opinion that's still pretty young, why are you in such a rush? Do you feel like marriage will finally lock him down? If you're secure in your relationship then there is no reason to rush things.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 09:29 PM
    You are already living together, he has little reason to want to move on to any other level. The old saying of why buy a cow when you can get all the milk you want free.
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Mar 5, 2008, 11:21 PM
    My ex ignored my questions or insinuations when I would suggest a ring. He ignored me for the 8 years we spend on and off. Finally, I realized we were not in the same boat. I wanted marriage, so I found me someone else that did too! Someone mentioned you were young. Of course, I also think so, since I'm 33. But, some people want marriage as early as 16. Your age does not have to do with your desires. I'd say talk to him very seriously.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 11:33 PM
    If he ignores you, you might have to be a little more forceful to get your answer. That could be as easy as cornering him and not letting the question slide, or it might mean moooo-ving out and taking his milk supply with you. Depending on if you are willing to give up on the situation if he is not willing to get engaged.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 12:07 AM
    I'm 22. The M-word... makes me stop breathing.. a little bit.

Perhaps it's because I'm on a pre-professional route and I have a good 8 years of my life planned out ahead of me... but... yeah, if my girlfriend (if I had one) brought up engagement, I wouldn't be so sure...

Does he have a job? Do you have a job? And by job, I mean career... not a job you just kind of have. Do you two have a future planned out together?

Mar 6, 2008, 10:21 AM
    In my opinion thats still pretty young, why are you in such a rush? do you feel like marriage will finally lock him down? If you're secure in your relationship then there is no reason to rush things.
    I don't feel I'm too young to get married and I'm not saying it has to be now but the fact is he won't even talk to me about it makes me feel he doesn't want a future with me?

Mar 6, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    you are already living together, he has little reason to want to move on to any other level. The old saying of why buy a cow when you can get all the milk you want free.
    Funny you say that quoye because just the other day he said that to me!

Mar 6, 2008, 10:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    I'm 22. the M-word...makes me stop breathing..a little bit.

Perhaps it's because I'm on a pre-professional route and I have a good 8 years of my life planned out ahead of me...but...yeah, if my girlfriend (if i had one) brought up engagement, I wouldn't be so sure...

does he have a job? do you have a job? and by job, I mean career...not a job you just kinda have. do you two have a future planned out together?
    We both have very good jobs
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 08:46 AM
    You seem to know what you want, but he doesn't want the same thing, as he is happy with things the way they are, and why not, he has what he wants, so you must decide if that's good enough for you, and if it isn't, how to change it. If you were not there, then he would have to make a decision. Buy the cow to get the milk, or get another cow. That he refuses to discuss it is a red flag as to how he regards your feelings in this matter.

Mar 9, 2008, 09:29 AM
    I would like to thank everyone for their advice it was very helpful
    flowerchildfala Posts: 96, Reputation: 16

Dec 4, 2010, 03:14 AM
    Hun, you need to think about what you want and if this guy can give it to you! You don't want to waste your youth on him, waiting for him to be committed to you and then later on he leaves you and you've wasted time and youth on him! I have friends who got married at ages 20-25 and both the girls and guys were the same age so when people say it's too early or too young, I disagree. If it's something you want then go for it! 4 years is enough time for him to make up his mind about marriage, how much time does he need? And an engagement can be done and you guys can set the wedding date for 5-10 years from now if he has future plans! Do you think any more time will change his mind? It might but it's unlikely and it will be something that will annoy u! I was with a guy who didn't want to get married and I've always wanted to get married.. you see the problem! I stayed thinking he would change but sooner or later there's only so much you can take! You guys both need to have the same views on this topic and right now you don't which isn't a good thing! Just have a big think about how important this is to you and if you can live with waiting years for marriage with this guy or if there's another guy out there that might think your really special and want to make you his wife and only his for the rest of his life!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Engaged, But Not Sure. [ 17 Answers ]

Ok, here's the story. By the end of my novel you'll probably hold an opinion of my fiancé, but please try to think with an open mind. So me and her (both in our mid-late 20's) have been together for almost two years and are engaged. She has a child (not mine) and his father is not in the picture so...

Engaged to someone who's not her father [ 2 Answers ]

I'm engaged to my fiancé who isn't the biological father of my 18 month old daughter. Her biological father is in prison for 33 years for 2 counts of sexual assault of a child under 13. My fiancé wants to adopt my daughter. I'm also planning to move out of state. Is there anyway I can terminate his...

We've been together for 4 years now! But not engaged? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 21 almost 22, and my boyfriends 23. My boyfriend and I been together for 4 years now. Of course like many other couples, we have our ups and downs. I have a horrible trust issue and he feels unconformable if he tells me things, like hanging out with friends. He never cheated on me but on...

Engaged but not sure if I'm in love [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 23 and been with my partner for a year, he's younger than me and I have three children from a previous relationship, the problem is before I got with my current partner I was deeply in love with a friend for two years and when I finally gave up and got with my new partner I then found out that...

Engaged then not? [ 2 Answers ]

I met david at the end of my freshamn year of college. He was enlisted in the navy and was supposed to leave April 11. He then asked for another date (later) to leave so he could spend time with me. His new date was July 11th. We fell in love and went and looked at rings and talked about when we ...

View more questions Search