Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    praez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Live in ny;worked in nj.
    Good Morning!
    I desperately need advice right now. Any insight that you can give would be greatly appreciated.

In 2004, I lived the full year in NYC. I worked in NYC through 4/04, but began working in NJ at another company for the remainder of the year.

Wages were about $17,000 for NYC company A through 4/04. Wages were
    Approximately, $41,000 for NJ company B for the remainder of the year.
    Taxes were taken out for both (NY & NJ) for NJ company B, which was expected.

NY State taxes deducted by Company A: $966
    NY State taxes deducted by Company B: $796
    NJ State taxes deducted by Company B: $1335.81

I filed a NJ Non Resident form and got back $150. Federal was a small return as well. But, NY shows that I owe? $1300!

I've never owed money and I guess I don't understand why I now owe NY so much. Did my company take out too much for NJ since I didn't live there and apply too little to NY? I've always received a return of approximately $100 for state and $500 for Federal. I'm not sure why this year is different. When I added up all the state taxes (NJ & NY) it's about the same deducted every year I've worked and lived in NY.

I'd be happy to send any other information you may need since I realize that this may seem like a vague email. But, I am completely perplexed and was wondering if maybe I filled out the wrong form for NY state or perhaps NJ?

Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly!
    Victoria.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Victoria:

Offhand, I believe you need to complete NY Form IT-112-R. This form allows you to claim the NJ taxes you paid as a credit against your NY tax liability.

It may not be a dollar-for-dollar credit, but it will be close. Since $1336 was withheld and you got a $150 refund, you actually paid $1,186. Deduct that from the $1,300 your current calculations show you owe means that youi will actually only have to pay about $115.
    praez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 08:08 AM
    Regarding work in NJ. Live in NY.
    Do I still send the NY State Tax Form along with this IT-112-R? Thank you so much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 23, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Victoria:

The IT-112-R is attached to the NY State tax form.

Try to do the calculations yourself. If you are having problems, contact me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A friend and her boyfriend worked together [ 4 Answers ]

She was the envy of her other work mates, because she was all lovey dovey with him coming to work together eating together going home together. One day they came in separately to work would'nt sit with each other working in that situation was even very stressful for us workers. They even had a...

How is cot worked out [ 1 Answers ]

1*(0.6+cot(180/44)) The Above Equation Is Bugging Me As I Do Not Know What Cot Is, Could Some On Please Help Me Out

Lived in NJ, worked in NY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again ATE, I worked in a company in NY for 3 months on OPT (then moved to CA). But like many other people I was living in an apartment in NJ for 2 months (1 month in friends home). All my income was from my company in NY. Should I file for only NY state or for NJ state as well? ...

Stuff that has worked for you! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys, only write about products that WORKED for you. Starting with me: Name of product: Eldoquin Forte 4% Duration of usage: a couple of months, don't recall now as I've stopped using it Shades achieved: 1

View more questions Search