Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rndygit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2005, 08:01 PM
    IE 6 and live update
    I'm unable to open my IE. I keep getting a message of runtime error
    Program:C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    I am an extreme novice with computers but slowly learning ( sometimes the hard way lol). I deleted IE 6 ( maybe not ALL of it) and downloaded it again but with the same response. Is this a conflict issue maybe? I have since started to use Mozilla as my browswer but unfortunately Norton and various other sites require I have explorer running. Which brings me to problem #2 lol
    My Live update won't run. I've deleted it as directed by the Norton message but now when I try to download the program I get a message that there is not enough disc space available for the download. I have plenty of space available 8.04g on drive C and 40.8 g on drive D. Any suggestions folks? In plain laymans terms please lol
    Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2005, 03:01 AM
    I think you were on the right steps when you tried to uninstall and reinstall IE. But deleting it manually - big no no! You'll never get all the registry keys etc.

Try uninstalling IE this way:

• Click on Start >> Control Panel
    • Double click on Add/Remove Programs
    • Click the Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left side.
    • A new window will pop up. This will have a list of various windows components. One of these will be Internet Explorer. Uncheck the box next to Internet Explorer and press Next. Windows should remove IE. Press Finish when it's done.
    • Now download and reinstall IE and see if you have better luck.

P.s - stick with Firefox (or did you mean the old Mozilla suite?). It's a superior browser in the eyes of the majority of the experts here.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2005, 04:51 AM
    Ie6
    Hi,
    I agree with the other answer about deleting it manually, is a "no-no"!
    If the method the other answer doesn't work for some reason, here is another way:
    Go to Start/Search, then type in ie6setup.exe.
    When it finds it, then left double-click on it to begin the installation.
    Click on the Custom Installation.
    Click on Next.
    Then, left click on IE, Outlook, or whatever you use, and then click Next.
    (You might have to be connected to the internet).
    It will uninstall IE and Outlook, then reinstall them. Re-boot, and it should be ready.
    I would also suggest getting rid of Norton, by unstalling it.
    Then, download and use AVG from http://www.grisoft.com. It normally runs better than Norton.
    Best of luck.
    rndygit Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2005, 09:17 AM
    Ie6
    Thanks for your help folks but I've have deleted and reinstalled IE 6 several times with the same results. Using search and system mechanic I find that there are still several references to IE left on my puter even after deleting using above method. System mechanic states these references are being used so can't be deleted. The files left on my puter are IE6SETUP.EXE-273DCF1D.pf and IE6SETUP.EXE-276E10FA.pf. Can these be removed to make my system completely free of IE references? Hopefully then I can d/l IE with no interference.

I do prefer the firefox/mozilla browser and will use it as much as possible but apparently some applications/programs on my puter only do not support it.

I have many more questions for you learned people so I do hope you'll bear with me lol... mainly about the processes running on task manager.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 26, 2005, 06:33 AM
    .pf refers to Prefetch files located here:
    C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

The whole contecnts of this folder can be safely deleted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Norton2003 Antivirus "live update"I [ 3 Answers ]

I have windows XP, installed Norton Antivirus, and when I try and update my Live update, the program comes back and says I don't hve a server. I do have MCHSI SERVER, I can bring up my e-mail, or anything on the web. I tried to go to Symantec web page and tried everything they had. They didn't have...

Ok update [ 1 Answers ]

Well since I last posted I went to the docs had a pap and she was pushing on stomach I have to go in on Monday to have a internal ultra sound But now I'm spotting brown since last night but its more brown since last night

View more questions Search