Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    driven Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2007, 09:22 PM
    I HATE MY DAD, well not really.
    OK I am 18 an before I was, my dad an I use to get on GREAT I told him everything I mean everything from sex to plain dumb conversations, I felt like he was the only one who really understood me an I was happy for that because most girls an their dads don't get along, anyway since recently I more want to go out wit my frenz but he doesn't make me. He doesn't want me to go to parties or anywhere an I feel horrible because he doesn't give me any reasons I can't go. My mom says he has a hard time accepting that I'm growing up but I don't know about that... why do you think he's acting this way??
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Because he is having a hard time letting go and accepting that your growing up and that you are becoming your own adult. It is very hard for some parents to accept.
    Skrypt Posts: 156, Reputation: 25

Jul 15, 2007, 04:27 AM
    Talk to your mother, and ask her to have a talk with the father and you. This may help your father understand things. Also you have to be open to the things that may go on in these "parties." Those are also another factor as to why your dad is not letting you go. Either way it is up to your parents to decide if you are mature and responsible enough for your own actions and you should be aware of that yourself.
    mogoverthemoon Posts: 60, Reputation: 6

Jul 15, 2007, 06:01 AM
    I think it's hard for farthers to accept that their daughters are growing up, I think that they are a lot more protective of them to so don't stress about it, just sit him down and say that your growing up, understand his concern's about you at the 'parties' yet he must understand that the harder he tries to pull you in the more he is going to push you away, my mum has these 'concerns' about me when I'm out :o . Good luck
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 11:05 AM
    At age 18, it's kind of natural to expect that you'd have a little more freedom than in the past. However, with that your father may be worried that you're getting in over your head. To an extent his concerns are legitimate. After all, your father was 18 once and when he was he knew lots of girls who were also 18 so he does have some experience to back himself up with. It's been my own experience that, when it comes to bringing up daughters, mothers are a little more naïve than fathers when it comes to just how much freedom a young girl should have. I say that because I believe that men are more savvy than women when it comes to young girls and socialization. That may well be because the men well remember when they were coming of age. To sum it up, I'd say that "I know all about nice guys - I used to be one!" My wife and I have often had conflict over just how much freedom our teenage daughter should have. Part of that conflict resulted from my wife's naïveté as her youth, particularly her late teens and 20s, were a little more sheltered than mine. As a result, I honestly felt I was a little more wise to just how vulnerable my daughter would be if my wife and I didn't keep a handle on things. I'm not the type to say "I told you so" but I honestly believe that my wife and daughter learned some very hard lessons these past few years, including a lot of pain and heartache that could have been avoided had they been a little more willing to lean on my leadership and experience. What I'm really trying to say here is don't brush your father off. He no doubt knows what he's talking about and where he's coming from, probably more so than your mother and he only wants to protect his daughter and keep you from getting burned.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Just an afterthought here ; have you ever considered inviting your father and mother to these parties with you?
    Skrypt Posts: 156, Reputation: 25

Jul 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Just an afterthought here ; have you ever considered inviting your father and mother to these parties with you?
    Hehe is that even possible?
    rozi_beauty Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Your father is right he is sacred about you he saying this for you to understood he maybe this parties which you want to go its not good so your father knows that that the parties is not good he says this because he loves you this is your dad so you don't have to hate him sweety

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I hate myself [ 33 Answers ]

I'm so insicure about about everything I think I'm ugly fat and stupid and I just don't want to be around anymore I always think that everyone would be better off without me And that I'm just in the way of everyone I feel like my life is nothing but a big screw up And that I'm useless I...

Does he hate me? [ 5 Answers ]

My son is ten and appears to be going through a stage where everything I do is wrong he a even seems to hate me.He tells me to leave the room if I start to tell him off or locks the door so he doesn't have to listen to me.I'm at my wits end and don't know the best way to react.

Does my dad hate me? [ 16 Answers ]

I feel like everything I do is wrong! I can't do anything right. Its like whatever I do I'm never going to be good enough for my dad. He never notices anything I do right but when I do something wrong he goes crazy. I no your probably going to say he's my dad he must love me but he dosen't....

I hate myself [ 3 Answers ]

I hate living and no one wants me around and the only thing I'm good at is work and for money my parents want to kick me out and I the told me they wish I was dead my ex girlfriend is making my life a living hell and she makes me feel like I can't do anything and none of my famil wants me to move...

Don't you hate it when... [ 13 Answers ]

Don't you hate it when you have a friend that you enjoy hanging out with, but they are so insecure about their appearance, that they rip on every girl that walks by that is somewhat attractive (even ones that aren't at all) and can't stand it when a girl even says "hi" to her husband. It makes me...

View more questions Search