Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Ringing ears
    I have had intermittent ringing in both my ears for a few months. Sometimes constantly, sometimes very suddenly, even sometimes the ringing seems to pulsate. I'd heard these symptons can be from high blood pressure, and even though I monitored my pulse while the ringing was pulsating, the two didn't coincide, I went and had my pressure read. My doctor said I'm normal and recommended a few days off and to relax. Do I have anything to be concerned about or am I being psycosymatic:confused: (sp)?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 12:07 PM
    This happens to me sometimes. I thought of the high blood pressure theory, but my blood pressure is normal too. It started for me when I was a teenager, I got in the car with a guy that had a really loud sound system, and of course he cranked it all the way up. I am serious this was as loud as an explosion. After that, every once in a while, my ears ring. It's the only reason I can think of why my ears ring. Have you been around any really loud noises lately that put a lot of strain on your ears?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Ahh, the age old question... Tinnitus... Here are some excerpts I have found from the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery

Is the Ringing in My Ears Normal?

Not at all. Tinnitus is the name for these head noises, and they are very common. Nearly 36 million Americans suffer from this discomfort. Tinnitus may come and go, or you 302may be aware of a continuous sound. It can vary in pitch from a low roar to a high squeal or whine, and you may hear it in one or both ears. When the ringing is constant, it can be annoying and distracting. More than seven million people are afflicted so severely that they cannot lead normal lives.

What Causes Tinnitus?

Most tinnitus comes from damage to the microscopic endings of the hearing nerve in the inner ear. The health of these nerve endings is important for acute hearing, and injury to them brings on hearing loss and often tinnitus. If you are older, advancing age is generally accompanied by a certain amount of hearing nerve impairment and tinnitus. If you are younger, exposure to loud noise is probably the leading cause of tinnitus, and often damages hearing as well.

There are many causes for "subjective tinnitus," the noise only you can hear. Some causes are not serious (a small plug of wax in the ear canal might cause temporary tinnitus). Tinnitus can also be a symptom of stiffening of the middle ear bones (otosclerosis).

Tinnitus may also be caused by allergy, high or low blood pressure (blood circulation problems), a tumor, diabetes, thyroid problems, injury to the head or neck, and a variety of other causes including medications such as anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, sedatives, antidepressants, and aspirin. If you take aspirin and your ears ring, talk to your doctor about dosage in relation to your size.

Treatment will be quite different in each case of tinnitus. It is important to see an otolaryngologist to investigate the cause of your tinnitus so that the best treatment can be determined.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Wow, thanks for that info! I didn't even know there was a technical term for it.. lol. :)
    PixieMama Posts: 68, Reputation: 8

Jul 8, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Yep, Tinnitus! It's damage done to the tiny hairs in your ear. It is why musicians (Save for maybe Alice Cooper because he said he would never wear them) wear eag plugs when they are up on stage. If you go to a lot of places that are loud, not even a concert, but just loud, depending on the decible level, you could be doing damage to your ears which causes that ringing. I learned about this when I was going to school for a music industry related job.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    This happens to me sometimes....a lot of strain on your ears?
    Just listening to my wife... ;)
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 12:54 PM
    It's not just music or loud noises that cause tinnitus. Other things like side-effects of medicine, medicinal overdoses (aspirin comes first to mind), as well as other medical conditions.

Yes, loud noises such as the kind musicians are exposed to is certainly one cause.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Ahh, the age old question.....Tinnitus... Here are some excerpts I have found from the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
    I have been taking pain meds for a disc concern. I'm feeling better from that and have been reducing meds. Should be quieter soon?
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
    What med are you taking, I'll look it up for you in my Mosby's.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    Just listening to my wife...;)
    LOL isn't that a coincidence, my husband compares me to a ringing in his ears too. :)
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Tinnitus. I feel better, just knowing. Janine hit that one out of the park
    Thank you, both!
    Expert

Jul 8, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Good to know that you are feeling better Rich!!

Hope it goes away soon when you are done with the meds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ears, ears, ears. When will it end? [ 28 Answers ]

Okay so for those of you that don't remember... Callie started scratching her ears, A lot. She wimpered every time she would scratch them. I bought some ear solution and cleaned her ears and it did not help. I finally took her to the Vet and the Vet said he could not find any signs of earmites...

Itchy Ears [ 5 Answers ]

My dog itches here ears all the time. One day I stuck a Q-tip in there to see what was going on and a black smelly build up was in there what was it?

Lump behind my left ear, constant ringing in my ears [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a lump behind my left ear and it has gotten a little bit larger. It doesn't hurt, but now my ears are always ringing,they tingle and pop a lot.This is starting to effect my sleep. I also have a constant headache , I don't know if this is related to my ears or the bulging disc in my neck...

My daschund's ears [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old daschund puppy and in the last couple of weeks instead of his ears laying flat to the head they seem to be more wrinkled and bunching at the side of his head. Is this a normal part of his growth and something he will grow out of? When his ears at held flat they appear to be...

View more questions Search