Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csquared Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Jun 12, 2007, 03:27 PM
    Could cutting end my relationship?
    So I started dating a guy about a month ago and I let him know even before we started dating that I "used to be emo" (I used the word emo to make it seem less serious) and later let him know that I used to cut myself. I hadn't cut myself for a period of about 6 months and around the time that I graduated from high school I was feeling a lot of pressure from my family about the future and I just had to do it. When he saw the cuts on my thighs he told me that if he ever saw anymore he would do something a lot worse to himself. Well I just moved away from my home town and I'm going to college in a different city, with a whole semester jammed into a 5 week summer course and I'm dealing with a lot of family and social stuff right now. I couldn't stop myself from cutting last night. I'm afraid what he's going to do when he sees them.

I don't know what to do. Tell him or just let him discover them?
    What do I say when he sees them?
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Jun 12, 2007, 03:38 PM
    I think on some level maybe you want him to see and share in your pain. That is normal to want those who care about you to understand what you are dealing with. Yes, it sounds like you are dealing with a lot and this is a way of managing all of those feelings. You feel very overwhelmed and the cutting gives a temporary release. It doesn't last and after words you feel embarrassed and guilty and worried of who will find out. I think you should open up to him about your problems first and see how helpful he is, then maybe you can share this with him too. YOu should find other ways to get through the stress and turmoil you are dealing with. Life is full of it and it is the way we embrace it and face it that helps us grow and learn and become who we really are. You seem bright and full of so much promise! Focus on your gifts and talents, keep a journal and write your thoughts down. Maybe you could share it with him down the road. Keep your heart open and don't shut people out. Don't isolate yourself and believe in the power of love. He may not be able to understand why you do it, but he may be strong enough to get through it with you. The next time you feel the urge to cut, write down everything, whether on here or on a sheet of paper. If he sees the cuts, tell him you have been dealing with a lot of issues and you fell back into a pattern of trying to dull the pain. You have not done it in a long time, so you should be proud of that, you had a relapse so to speak. Just try to be honest and don't worry what he thinks. If he is really a good guy who cares, he will find a way to be supportive , even if he is a little shocked and scared at first. Don't ever give up on yourself. YOu are worthy, and beautiful and I am sure you are loved!
    love is blind Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2007, 03:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csquared
    So I started dating a guy about a month ago and I let him know even before we started dating that i "used to be emo" (I used the word emo to make it seem less serious) and later let him know that I used to cut myself. I hadn't cut myself for a period of about 6 months and around the time that I graduated from high school I was feeling alot of pressure from my family about the future and I just had to do it. When he saw the cuts on my thighs he told me that if he ever saw anymore he would do something alot worse to himself. Well I just moved away from my home town and I'm going to college in a different city, with a whole semester jammed into a 5 week summer course and I'm dealing with alot of family and social stuff right now. I couldn't stop myself from cutting last night. I'm afraid what he's going to do when he sees them.

I don't know what to do. Tell him or just let him discover them?
    What do I say when he sees them?
    Tell him because it would be better coming from you then if you let him find out trust him enough t tell him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting.. [ 12 Answers ]

Im Vanessa and I'm 15 years old. Ever since I was 12 I was having sex. I would cut after almost every time because I was scared to tell my parents and that causesd a lot of stress. Even if I didn't have sex I would cut because of something that happened during the day. One time that I cut I had to...

No more cutting [ 4 Answers ]

How can I not be anxious and frustrated when I try to stop cutting?

Should I end this relationship? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for close to 2 years and we have been living together for a year. He does not tell me he loves me and I am thinking about leaving the relationship because of it. He is great to me and my 2 children. He brought us to meet his family. He is always there he is in tune...

Did I do something wrong to end this relationship [ 5 Answers ]

I been with the woman I love for 3.5 years.lived together for 2.5years. She has an issue with trusting me.she says she sees me gawking @ young girls,little white lies I have told to avoid arguments.example she wanted me to send my son to camp.I told her I didn't have the money.1 month later she...

Front-end vs. Back-end Tech Writing [ 4 Answers ]

What's the difference? Can someone give me an example of both? I'm SO confused! :confused: Thanks in advance. -HBG

View more questions Search