Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    I spent a hitch as a medical corpsman with the USMC.
    By the way... thank you for your service.

Ordinary people doing extraordinary things is worth, at least, a thank you.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 5, 2009, 03:07 PM
    yes thank you
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    anybody want half my funnel cake?

too bad.

its mine.
    Did you eat it already? Can I have a bite?

Mean boy. Tempt me and then walk away. :(
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171 View Post
    right there with you.

i know many have been in worse situations than ive been in, but there are times when all you can do it all let go... release... and sometimes ridiculous situations provide ridiculous responses.

there have been just a few times in my life when ive had no other place to go than to smile, close my eyes, and wait for whatever comes next...
    I agree.

Humor is important, it's a great stress reliever and makes you feel stronger, better, just more grounded.

When my dad was dying I started telling him jokes. Yes, he was in a coma, otherwise I'm sure he would have laughed. I was in fine form that day.

My Grandmother got angry. Asked how I could make jokes and laugh at a time like that. I turned to her, said "Don't you think we've all cried enough? Where has it gotten us? Nowhere. I figure this is worth a shot."

People always expect tears, but I prefer laughter.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritcharms View Post
    Hi all, I know that i haven't been here very long and not spoken to most of you before, I have spoken to Alty a few times when I first joined.

And although i never had the pleasure in meeting Starby,ive heard alot of love and kindness about her and i would just like to offer my thoughts and prayers to Jo and her family and of course all of you here. xxxx

If it's ok, I would like to share a site that i found which i feel may help some of you at this very difficult time.

Light a Candle - Show you Care!

Love,Peace and Light x

Claire x
    Thank you Claire,

It is very thoughtful. Very generous.

Lighting candles is very symbolic.

I am sure everybody here appreciates your kind words.

Joe
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    People always expect tears, but I prefer laughter.
    Sometimes I feel guilty saying my grandfather taught me what real love was... my mother was, and is, a kind woman who is good beyond good... but his love was all permeating... in a way that sometimes only grandparents love can be... not to diminish her love... his was just All Encompassing...

Anyway... last time I see my grandfather alive... he has been gradually going "downhill" for about ten years... diabetes, heart attacks, "normal" age issues with eyesight, coordination, etc... so he was in the hospital, I was in college, and it isn't looking good. I'm driving four hours every other day to see him (which means I'm failing classes)... so I show up and I've been told this is the last stretch... that, chances are, there isn't much more time.

I'm all in bits and pieces. I'm 20. I barely know how to tie my own shoelaces and keep my fly zippered.

So I go to see him and he asks in a weak voice for some water. He's on a limited water "diet" so he gets a sponge "lollypop" to moisten his mouth. I do this, he takes it, and then it pops out all of a sudden.

I pick it up, soak it again, help wet his mouth and again, *pop*...

On the third time I finally saw that infamous, naughty smile... yes, he wanted a drink desperately... but the chance to make me laugh at his naughtiness... at his deliberately popping that sponge-on-a-stick out onto his gown... it was priceless. I'm proud that ornery sob's blood flows in my veins... and I didn't get it at the time... but the humor in his last moments... it comforted me... even when I didn't get it right away...
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 09:54 PM

And that's the thought that remains KP, the sponge popping out, your Grandfathers attempt to make you smile. That's what remains. That's the greatest gift he could have given you, the gift of laughter.

My mother died in Germany. When she found out she was terminal she decided we were going to go see her family, that was her final wish. Sadly she only survived for 3 days after we got there, but we made it.

My mom had lost all her hair due to chemo and radiation treatment, so she had purchased a wig some time back. It was summer though so she usually left the wig off, she thought the sun would help her hair grow back. Makes me smile.

Anyway, when we decided to go to Germany she wanted to take her wig, but we couldn't find it anywhere. She was living with us at that time. I checked everywhere, it was nowhere to be seen.

So we're in Germany, the night before she died we went out to dinner, we're sitting on the balcony of the restaurant. My son was only 3, we had him in a stroller, it had side pouches for storage.

We're talking, a few people she knew came up to say hello, shocked to see her. Jared starts getting fussy so I reach into one of the side pockets to get a toy and touch something that feels furry.

I pulled my hand out right away, looked at Rod, whispered "I think there's a dead animal in the side pocket of Jared's stroller". Hubby, such a man, says "Well take it out!".

So I reach in, grab hold, pull it out. Sure enough, it's my moms wig.

She was so happy to see it, and the look on her face when I whipped it out was hilarious. She started laughing at me, I started laughing, Jared just pointed and said "My puppy!" Apparently the little stinker had put it in there for safe keeping.

I guess you had to be there. ;)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 10:02 PM
    I'm new, and don't "know" you , but GOD bless you, and have a speedy recovery. You obviously are well loved, I'm #468 ! Watch out for the garden tools!
    Pets Expert

Jun 5, 2009, 10:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post
    I'm new, and don't "know" you , but GOD bless you, and have a speedy recovery. You obviously are well loved, I'm #468 ! Watch out for the garden tools!
    Thanks for offering your prayers and well wishes.

Sadly our Starby has taken a turn for the worse and is now terminal. Her organs are shutting down and she's not expected to survive for much longer.

I'm sure she'll be tripping over garden tools in heaven. She really is a clutz. ;)
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2009, 10:26 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that. May GOD bless and keep her.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 07:58 AM

That was such a sweet story Alty :)
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 09:55 AM

Sometimes a little time spent thinking about our lives is nice...

Finding Joy Movie
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Beautiful... still going... but its beautiful! Thanks Stringer

It was great Stringer... I love those things at the perfect moments;)
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 10:01 AM

My favorite picture was the daisy growing on the road.

"If you don't stand for something you'll fall for everything"

Love it Stringer.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22 View Post
    Beautiful...still going...but its beautiful! Thanks Stringer
    You are welcome hon... sometimes you have to see it to believe it... I like these types of movies, seems to always 'wake' me up.

Well, we have about 30 to 35 indoors plants that haven't been repotted with new soil for about two years... It looks like rain today so I am going to the garage to do some 'dirty' work. It seems that when I do a little something with my hands (no comment Alty... he hee) it makes me feel better than sitting here at my desk...

Hope to get at least 5 to 10 of them done today and then Marta and I are going to go see 'UP' the new movie...

Love you all... :)

Stringer
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 10:10 AM

Love you back Stringer.

Have fun getting down and dirty. Keep you nose clean. ;)

I'm going to the Gym today then I'm doing yard work, if the weather stays nice.
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 10:16 AM
    LOVED that one too...
    The perfect quote to live by...
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 10:28 AM

Also, Daisy's were my moms favorite flower, so they're really special to me.

When she died, at her funeral in Germany, we had a casket spray of all daisy's. It was beautiful.

She always had daisy's in her garden, tons and tons of them. I'd play the "he loves me, he loves me not" game all the time. :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 10:44 AM

Now now... you said the name of my little sis three times in that post :p
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Daisies are magnificent, yer mama had good taste.
    You know I remember Jo saying something when I got some flowers, daisies were in there and she didn't like them (her being a florist) cause they were just a "filler" flower... she made fun of me... hahahahahah

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My poor sick bby [ 4 Answers ]

My 18 month old has a bad runny nose its green and yellow snot mostly she has a slight cough but not bad by anymeans but she is running tempatures of 101 - 103 I have been giving her tylonol witch brings the fevor down is this just a cold or should I be rushing her to a doctor? Somebody help me?

Starby & Alty's Castle of Doom. [ 1500 Answers ]

Come in my sweet, and join us! Your hosts will be Starby and Alty. We have everything your little heart desires in our Castle! Come into our web, said the spider to the fly. Mwaaahahahaha! YouTube - Be Our Guest - Beauty and the Beast

Poor mummy cat [ 1 Answers ]

Our cats kittens are six weeks old and are , as I expected, very feisty, playfull little cats. My problem is that mummy cat seems to behaving oddly, she is always miowing and keeps sitting at my feet looking as though she wants something. Even when I feed her she's not very happy. She seems...

My poor dog [ 2 Answers ]

My pet pug dog has a large belly not fat lage ,but it looks inflated he also gags very loudlyhes 9 years old he is not nudered eats and drinks easly we think it's a kiddney failure but he isn't able to take a b.m. what should I do and what's his sickness

My Poor Kitty [ 1 Answers ]

I noticed today that my kitten's left eye is swollen and watery. I have looked at it and I can't see anything in it. I havwe washed it with a warm wash rag, but it hasn't done any good. What else can I try before I have to resort to taking her to the vet? ~Summer

View more questions Search