Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MissLady210 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Six days later we are working things out.
    We broke up last Wednesday and today, we met up to talk. He said he missed me and would like to take a step back. We broke up because we constantly argued. I was wondering if anyone has experience breaking up and getting back together. Does it really work? How do you take a step back? We were together for 8 months and he purchased an engagement ring. So no more saying 'I love you?' no kissing? No sleeping over? I'm confused. I asked if we can date other people. He said "you can but I'm not." Help please!
    dreamguy Posts: 58, Reputation: 13
    -

Jun 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLady210
    We broke up last wednesday and today, we met up to talk. He said he missed me and would like to take a step back. We broke up because we constantly argued. I was wondering if anyone has experience breaking up and getting back together. Does it really work? How do you take a step back? We were together for 8 months and he purchased an engagement ring. so no more saying 'I love you?' no kissing? no sleeping over? I'm confused. I asked if we can date other people. he said "you can but I'm not." Help please!
    Sounds like me and my ex. We argued a lot in our relationship and that was a major factor in why she kept breaking up with me. She is prone to have seziures and she can't get too stressed.

I think you need to get to the root of why you guys have frequent arguments. Frequent arguing can be a sign of one or more of the following:

1. Falling interest level.
    2. Incompatiability or one or both of you have changed in some way that is causing you two to grow apart.
    3. There can be external factors such as stress related events from work, school, death in the family, mental illness, etc.
    4. Lack of communication or poor communication. Communication not only involves being a good speaker but more importantly a good listener.

5. Wounded pride. Does one or both of you feel the need to win an argument for the sake of winning? This is ego driven.

6. Clinginess or neediness or jealously.

Arguing is almost always a symptom of deeper issues in the relationship including but not limited to the list I just gave.

You take a step back by taking things slower. Yes that means no sexual intimacy or spending the night together for at least 6 weeks. You have to treat this as a brand new relationship. You can't just dive right back in and pick up where you left off. Don't be too available. Continue to have interests in your life that do not invovle him. Remember what caused the breakup and learn from it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Period goes from every 28 days to 20 days [ 7 Answers ]

I have had my menstrual cycle to occur almost every 28 days, then around every 25 days, now it has gone to the 20th day. My last cycle started around 25 days, but Friday my cycle started again. I saw my OB one week after my last cycle which was the 30th of April. He told me that I was ovaluating...

Dodge Ram A/C working, then not working [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500. Within the last year whenever I turn the a/c on it will work fine and after about 5 or 10 minutes will start to blow hot air as if I turned the a/c off and had the fan blowing outside air. At first I started turning the a/c off and then back on which would...

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days [ 3 Answers ]

I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property. My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be...

View more questions Search