Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 04:28 PM
    Did I do the right thing?
    My boyfriend has been telling me he loves me, AT FIRST I just pretended not to hear him, thought he'd get the hint.

When he didn't, I told him "Pat, I enjoy being with you and hope we last a while but I am just not ready to say "I love you" back to you. I don't know if or when I will be. I hope you understand."

He hugged me, kissed my hand, then had to go to class. I haven't been able to talk to or see him since then, but he didn't seem upset.

Did I go about this the right way?

What I want to know is if I went about this the right way or I should've handled this better
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 07:01 PM

In all fairness without merging your previous posts, most of us are not going to know if its right or wrong.

And that's a big job so be patient as we get the whole thing straight and any help in that regard is more than welcome.

So what has happened the last few weeks since your break up and dating? Is this a new guy, or what. Details.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 07:16 PM

This has nothing to do with any previous posts, this is a new guy, I've never even mentioned him on here before.

This new guy has been a friend of mine for the past school year, and been the only guy to truly treat me "well." I decided that what I wanted was to be happy. So when he asked me out at a dance we were working at for teens with special needs, I agreed. He is the kind of guy who believes in treating a woman like a princess, but not being overbearing. We aren't rushing anything. Except he started saying he loves me, and it made me uncomfortable because I am not ready to feel or say that toward anyone yet.

I've seen him at his worst and his best, seen him angry and seen him ecstatic. I like him. I enjoy being with him and like having him in my life.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 07:33 PM

Honesty is the best policy, and I'm glad you moved on from your ex. That was quick. Must have beem all that dating.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Honesty is the best policy, and I'm glad you moved on from your ex. That was quick. Must have beem all that dating.
    Being that were to be married, and I to have his baby, I'm not sure that I ever will be completely "over" him. I told my new boyfriend this, and he understands.
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2010, 07:54 PM

I just don't want to rush into anything. Including saying "I love you."

I don't feel it, and won't say what I don't feel. Even if I did, I wouldn't want to rush. With my x, we rushed into everything.

I want to take things slow for once, as does my new boyfriend
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2010, 12:26 AM

Make sure you have healed from your breakup before becoming involved with someone else.

This sounds like a rebound to me.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 05:53 AM

my x girlfriend was a rebound. This isn't.
    I just want to know if I was in the right for telling him I'm not ready instead of just saying it
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 05:57 AM
    You did the right thing Emop. However, it's still too soon after your breakup to get into a serious relationship.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 03:43 PM

I know J...
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 10:30 PM

E-mop
    My opinion is that it's a huge Red Flag for HIM to be saying this to you already ,

* he knows you've just split up with your fiancé

* he knows that your pregnant with your ex's child

* he should know not to pressure you into anything this early

Sorry but I really think if you want him as a friend fair enough , but that's all he should be at the moment , otherwise we're just going to have you back here in a few month's saying that you haven't only lost another BF but you'll also have lost him as a friend.

Plenty of time later on down the track once the dust has settled.

Anyway that's just my opinion :)

Edit: Oh and sorry I didn't answer your original question , yes I think you did the right thing ;)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 10:37 PM

M, just to clear something up, she's not pregnant, she was but she lost the baby.

E-Mop, since your break up you've gone on a date with a guy that you really liked, but he's older then you. Then that guy was out and your ex girlfriend was in. Now she's out and there's another new guy.

My head is spinning.

Didn't you just break up with your boyfriend?

You say you want to take things slow but all I see is you speeding to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

I think it would be best if you just didn't have a boyfriend or girlfriend for a while. Spend some time dating yourself. :)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    M, just to clear something up, she's not pregnant, she was but she lost the baby.
    Oops... must of missed that along the way :rolleyes:

Mind you , with all due respect , maybe a blessing in disguise :cool:
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    Oops..................... must of missed that along the way :rolleyes:

Mind you , with all due respect , maybe a blessing in disguise :cool:
    Yes, I agree.

I'm looking at all of this from experience. I was the girl that dated a lot (shh M, no comment ;)). It didn't get me anything but heartbreak and a bad reputation.

There's nothing wrong with being alone for a while. It did me a world of good. :)
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 11:51 PM

Emop, I think in regards this situation taken as a sole island you did the right thing in being honest.

But as a whole I do think that you are rushing.

However, I worry for this new boy too. Who doesn't get upset when they say 'I love you' and doesn't hear it back?
    No one!

Who says they love someone no-time into a relationship especially when they know what you've come from?

There's a lyric from a song that I think says it down to a T

'The shadow that your standing's on still here sometimes that's all that you can ask, and your heart's still beating'

It's by Josh Ritter 'Still Beating' you should have a listen, I think it's a great song, but that's just me... so I've got a bit off point here...

Just be careful you only get one heart and if your not careful you're going to spend a long time trying to repair damage you haven't dealt with fully. You are the only one that can heal you, no knight in shining armour. No matter how willing he is.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 06:16 AM

You need to take steps back and heal and get your own life in order. You have had a rough trek this past year and you need to relax
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 09:07 AM

You absolutely did the right thing by being honest about your feelings.

You've gotten some great advice here and hope you listen to it.. you really need to heal from your past relationships before you start a new one.
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 11:33 AM

Thank you all, you guys are right.
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 11:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

E-Mop, since your break up you've gone on a date with a guy that you really liked, but he's older then you. Then that guy was out and your ex girlfriend was in. Now she's out and there's another new guy.

My head is spinning.

Didn't you just break up with your boyfriend?

You say you want to take things slow but all I see is you speeding to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

I think it would be best if you just didn't have a boyfriend or girlfriend for a while. Spend some time dating yourself. :)
    That one guy, the older one, was actually using me. I found that out recently.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2010, 11:52 AM
    How do I break up with him?
    Threads merged
    I got into a serious relationship and I want out. How do I break it to him?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

And the right thing to do is. [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I've had this best friend ever since the beginning of middle school. We've been super close and even been on out of state vacations together. She is quite a flirt and sometimes doesn't know when enough is enough. I had dated this guy off and on for a year and he always dumped me. I have a...

How do I know I'm doing the right thing! [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 8 years. We have two Kids (Boy 5 and Girl 6) Our familys Have been a great help with a lot over the years however I have had a lot emotional problems since having the kids. I used to work in the clubs (bar work) and now the kids are at school I have gone back...

View more questions Search