Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtkb04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
    I how do you stop a 6 month old lab that secretly poos in my house
    I have a puppy that is 6 months old and poos in my house without anyone knowing it until its to late. She knows she is doing wrong and seems to be getting timid juist from me using a strong voice and saying what did you do here. How do I stop this behavior. Sometimes her poo is runny too. If anyone can help I will be trully gratfeul.::confused:
    susangpyp Posts: 258, Reputation: 73

Jun 9, 2009, 05:05 PM

Get her checked by the vet to make sure it's not a medical issue. Keep her in the room with you and keep her crated at night and when you're not home. Take her out often and when she goes outside give her lots of praise.

Dogs will get timid by a strong voice even if they have no clue what the voice is saying. They will not connect it to what they did.
    Ren6 Posts: 539, Reputation: 121

Jun 9, 2009, 05:55 PM
    Rats... I had to spread the rep around before giving more to susan. As she says, you must take the dog out frequently, and praise her when she pees or poos outside. I'm talking 5-8 times a day, whatever it takes.

Of course, she cowers when you shout at her! She's reacting to your anger. She doesn't know or think she's doing anything wrong, animals don't operate that way. Take her to the vet and find out why her poo is runny... she may have a problem with parasites, or the food you're giving her.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 10, 2009, 07:55 AM

By saying "what did you do here" honestly I think the dog will have no idea what you are talking about.
    Unless you can catch the dog in the act it is hard to stop.

There are ways to tell if a dog is going to poop.. usually they start sniffing at the ground as they are walking around... looking for the perfect "spot"

If she has a loose stool then she may have a medical or dietary problem which needs to be assesed by a vet.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jun 10, 2009, 01:29 PM

Apart from a strong voice have you ever used physical force as punishment for the dog, such as a bop on the nose or rear? Have you ever rubbed the dogs nose in its accidents? If so then that may also be heavily contributing to the fear and the problem. She also may just be naturally timid if this is not the case and the voice may just be too much.

The problem many owners face when house training their dog are the popular yet completely harmful "training" technique myths. It is never okay to hit and or rub a dogs nose in its accident. This creates a fear or the owner and instead of teaching them the right thing it teaches them that pottying in front of the master leads to bad things so I should hide it. Making the problem much harder to correct. Also since you need to thoroughly clean each spot that the dog has used as a flagged potty spot with a good enzyme cleaner, this is much harder when you do not know where those spots are.

If you use any of those methods then the first step is to stop immediately.

Have you ever considered crate training? I found crate training to be extremely helpful myself in house training my own dogs.

As far as the loose stools go like everyone else has said, vet time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shared House, Month to Month Lease, who is the primary lease holder? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a shared house in NYC and there have been some issues amongst roommates. No one in this house was on the original lease from the landlord as people have moved in/out replacing those people throughout the years. I am the only registered/documented bill payer for the house. Does this...

8 month old Chihuahua pregnant how do I stop this? [ 8 Answers ]

I need help my 8 month old chihuahua just finished being in heat. No more bleeding but her area is still swollen, so we keep her "diaper" on her still just in case she starts bleeding but mainly to make her safe. Today another chihuahua male desided it was time for her not to be a virgin anymore....

View more questions Search