Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kris_12345 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Have a look at this
    Hey I have a cold sore on my upper lip... I'm just curious can anyone tell me what I can do with my girl friend and what I can't do.. I don't want to give her anything on make mine worse lol thanks :):):)
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 5, 2008, 10:23 AM

Chances are you've already passed the virus on to her from your saliva if she didn't already have HPV (Human Papiloma Virus - Herpes for short). Do not engage in oral sex, or kissing until completely healed. Second, I would use a latex shield if engaging in oral sex from now on.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 10:35 AM

To add to the advice above from TexasParent, cold sores are actually called Herpes Simplex and part of the Herpes virus. You were wise to ask.

Practical Tips when you have a Cold Sore

* Do not squeeze, pinch, bite, or pick at blisters.
    * Avoid eating acidic foods such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, pickles, or other foods such as salty snacks as they may sting and irritate the cold sore.
    * Rinse your mouth as often as necessary with a mouthwash product or a solution made by mixing one teaspoonful of salt in 500 mL of water. These remedies will help soothe cold sores and reduce irritation.
    * Gently wash the cold sore area with a mild soap-free liquid cleanser and pat dry with paper towels especially if food or dirt has contacted the cold sore
    * Remember to discard the used towels. Wash your hands carefully with a liquid cleanser and water and keep them away from cold sore lesions as much as possible.
    * Analgesics such as ASA, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen may help relieve the severe pain of cold sores. Be sure to follow the directions for use. Children should not take ASA.
    * Use a skin protectant or lip moisturizer to keep cold sore lesions moist and to prevent drying and cracking
    * Don't touch reusable applicators (lipsticks, lip balms, skin protectants, lip moisturizers, etc) directly to the cold sore; apply with a finger or other applicator such as a cotton swab and wash or discard immediately, as appropriate.
    * If you notice yellow pus around your cold sore, you may have a bacterial infection. Coat the lesion with an antibiotic cream or ointment. See your doctor if the infection persists.
    * Cold sores are contagious. Avoid direct contact with other persons during the period when the blisters are developing. Try not to touch your eyes or genital area unless you have first washed your hands thoroughly. Avoid oral sex during an episode as this can transmit the infection to the genitals.
    daisydew Posts: 75, Reputation: 14

Nov 13, 2008, 10:03 PM

Even if you aren't having an outbreak(a cold sore) it is still possible to spread it to her
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Nov 13, 2008, 10:50 PM

Try a product like Herpacin on your cold sore to help it heal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search