Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redrose24 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Perfect Age for Love? Is there such a thing?
    What do you think is the perfect age to finally settle down? I recently saw that the average age for women to get married is 27 and for guys it's 28. I found this to be quite amazing.. considering my parents were married in their EARLY twenties. I'm currently a sophomore in college and am no longer worried about finding the "right" one while I'm in school.. which is a huge change of heart from when I first got to college. I was set on thinking I was going to find "the one" and then live happily ever after. The thing is, I'm so excited about my future and where I want to go in life.. that I'm finally okay with being single and having a great time. Can other people (guys or girls) relate to this? How many of you are done with college.. even grad school.. and are still single?
    eastcoast1 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2008, 12:44 PM
    I'm 27 and recently single, I don't think there is a right age to settle down, I think it's more on the person you find, and where you both are in life.

My parents married in their early 20s also

Jul 1, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I agree.. My parents "jokingly" give me a hard time about not being in a relationship when they were married at my age. Honestly, it drives me insane. I don't think being 27 and single is bad at all.. especially since so many people are going to college now and worrying about getting the career they want.
    eastcoast1 Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jul 1, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I spent most if not all of my college years in a relationship, sucks that it didn't work out, but better finding out now, than down the road. I would enjoy college as much as possible :) be safe & def live it up
    Ash123 Posts: 1,793, Reputation: 305
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Times have changed. A Lot.

We are living longer and treating are 20's as delayed adolescence now.

200 years ago 20 was late to be getting married.

As for love? If you have 2 loving parents and a decent childhood you are better equipped to try to fall in love with someone for the right reasons. If not, take a little extra time to learn that love is patient and caring not angry and fleeting... That is really the key.

Its Not the time.. (though I'd weigh in that one should be at least 28 if keeping count) but its more about the WHY. If you fall in love for mutual respect and teamwork at any age you have a better chance than doing it to secure a hot partner for life... I've seen it work at 19. I've sen it fail at 30. But the one thing in common with all those that succeeded was that they wanted just what they had in their partner - and no more. And were there for each other...
    bigdee Posts: 132, Reputation: 20

Jul 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
    I'm 33 and recently single. In the larger urban areas, it is not so uncommon to be single in your 30's. Studies show that each generation is getting married later and later. My grandparents got married in their teens. My parents in their mid-20's. Now the average age is late 20's and growing.

I feel that it is best to find someone when you have "found" yourself. I don't think that fully happens until after you are out of school and working for a few years. I'll admit I had no clue at 20 (the age of my first serious relationship) and look back on it shaking my head...

Jul 1, 2008, 04:21 PM
    I definitely agree that college is the time to figure out who you are yourself, and get a good idea of what direction you'd like your life to go. I still feel incredibly young, even though I've technically been an "adult" for a couple years now. My first real relationship was in high school and I honestly thought he was the one. Boy was I way off.. haha. I'm glad I had that experience though, because it taught me the basics of how a relationship works. I have a guy friend who's 26 and at first I was caught off guard when he said he wasn't even thinking about relationships yet. Now I understand why.
    Meatybune Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Just hook up with random people... that's all there is to it!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 1, 2008, 05:48 PM
    The best age for love? What age is today? Today is good!

Tomorrow works, too.

Hmm, best just be on your best behavior ALL the time since love can come knocking at anytime, eh?
    jiltedgirl Posts: 125, Reputation: 23

Jul 1, 2008, 06:11 PM
    I think a large part depends on timing, where you are in your life and what you want from a relationship. Just my two cents... :)
    sokay Posts: 142, Reputation: 14

Jul 1, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Factor into that average age of first marriage the divorce rate. I think it's about 50% (?) maybe more.

I know countless people who got married in their late teens/early twenties who've been divorced at least once. Some people even get married willy-nilly, the way other people date.

Then, I know people who waited till their 40s or more to get married the first time, and ended up in a happy healthy marriage. Maybe those are the ones who are a little more cautious.

Also, I know people who married young and are still happy and devoted.

So it's different for different people. Sometimes people have 'found themselves', but that doesn't guarantee a good mate for them falling in their lap. Or, sometimes people are not ready for a relationship, at the time that they meet someone who could've been a good spouse for them.

So it's partly just a matter of meeting the right person, and partly being ready to be in a healthy relationship, leading to marriage.

Jul 2, 2008, 04:51 AM
    I agree that waiting later in life may now be the smartest move.. Even if you think you've found THE ONE, it might be best to just simmer down and get your life in order before you try fitting in someone else.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 07:27 AM
    When you both are ready, age doesn't matter as much as who your with.

Jul 2, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Good point..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

Does Love exist? Is there such thing as love? [ 22 Answers ]

I was wondering what is your opinion or thoughts on this situation, I went through a couple of months ago (in 2006). It was nearing the end of my first year at University, I was dancing on the last night the pub was open; suddenly, I saw a good-looking, kind of modest girl and I got the...

The perfect boy except one thing. [ 16 Answers ]

I am in love with a boy. Not just any boy, a boy that already has a girlfriend. That's not the only problem- "bob" and his girlfriend are completely in love. :( . He is amazingly witty and sweet. He actually helped me when my best guy friend asked me out and I had to turn him down very gently....

The perfect job? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in high school and thinking of being a forensic scientist. It looks interesting and if its anything like CSI that would be cool. Is it really a dream job?

View more questions Search